ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thoughts on this 172? - 'quife' differential??

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E36 328
Hi, what are People's thoughts on this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160686817502?redirect=mobile

Presumably he means quaife, but if I go to see it, as it's only 20 mins from me, how would I tell? Would something look different? Or could he just be saying it because he's either clueless or lying?

Seems to be stating quite a high expenditure on tyres as well!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You'll soon be able to tell on a test drive, just pull out of a T junction aggressively and the difference should be immediately apparent.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E36 328
Just been to look at this. Guy seems really genuine, had a drive in it. Ride seemed really good, quite fir, and handling seemed very good.

Had receipts for tyres and diff, speedo didn't work, apparently because of the diff? Is this right?

Also heard a very slight knock when going reasonably quickly over some bumps, but didn't sound like anything to worry about.

Unfortunately he wanted slightly more than I'm looking to spend so had to politely decline buying it. Will be keeping an eye on it though, did really like it.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had receipts for tyres and diff, speedo didn't work, apparently because of the diff? Is this right?
So the owner spent £1.5k on a new dif and didn't ask the person who fitted it that the speeedo needs to work?

I'd walk well away.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E36 328
Oh yeah something else Related, the car has 11 months mot, but the diff was fitted a while back. If the speedo hasn't been working since then, how did it get an mot? Made me think the mot might be dodgy which may mean there are underlying issues if he needed to get that done.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speedo doesn't have to work for an MOT only when new

Stupidly though its illegal to drive on the raod without a working speedo though

Its one of those strainge rules where the MTO ddoesn't say its legal to drive only it passes the test.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  NOBLE M400 + TOYS +
Oh yeah something else Related, the car has 11 months mot, but the diff was fitted a while back. If the speedo hasn't been working since then, how did it get an mot? Made me think the mot might be dodgy which may mean there are underlying issues if he needed to get that done.

defo done >67k then?

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  RB 182
Speedo doesn't have to work for an MOT only when new

Stupidly though its illegal to drive on the raod without a working speedo though

Its one of those strainge rules where the MTO ddoesn't say its legal to drive only it passes the test.

Wouldn't have thought that they would picking up on an mot as there isn't normally a road test.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  182 Cup
Aren't there two types of gearboxes for the 1*2's? Both with different speedo drive outputs? Maybe there was an issue with the original box, he had a recon built, but with a Quaif differential and the wrong type of box was used?

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't there two types of gearboxes for the 1*2's? Both with different speedo drive outputs? Maybe there was an issue with the original box, he had a recon built, but with a Quaif differential and the wrong type of box was used?
Yep only cup boxes have speedo sensors on them.

if he had the wrong box fitted with the diff and accepted knowing the speedo didn't work why? He could have done tones of miles in a year and the next owner wouldn't know about. If you buy and find its the wrong box what do you do to have a road legal car? you would of course have to buy a proper cup box and get if fitted then have to see the box the car has now.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
17   0   0
  440i + 182
The dif seems like a strange and obviously expensive upgrade on a near standard car, perhaps its had alot of other parts removed prior to the sale.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  E36 328
He said he was hoping to get between 2600 and 3k which I think is too much to ask for it.

Have been keeping an eye on it but after reading that I'd potentially have to change the box to get the speedo working I'm just going to leave it and go for something I know is good to go as soon as I buy it.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  ITB'd 172 Cup
I was the under bidder, only wanted it for the diff and wheels for my track car.

Id of put it back to standard and retailed it again.