ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This may interest a lot of you (Crash repair work)

Black Gold Clio 182
Not really sure where to post this, its car related, but not Clio related. Anyway here goes.

Thought id bung a few pics up of a ""little" job ive been doing at work recently. Its a friend of the managers, bought as a write off to repair and go back on the road. Its a 08 plate Corsa Breeze.

How the car turned up for me:

As you can see, both chassis legs are bent to f**k
1.jpg

Also you can see the passenger inner wing is fuubarred
2.jpg

Drivers side leg, bent to f**k, but saveable
3.jpg

Passenger leg, too far gone to save.
4.jpg

So i pulled drivers leg over, with help of a brace to tweak the front of it that little more
5.jpg

All straight
6.jpg

Passenger leg again
7.jpg

As you can see ive now removed the inner wing, i have also had to strip a lot more off the car to do the next process, subframe, passenger suspension, brake pipes and ABS unit.
8.jpg

Now time to cut off the passenger chassis leg

Cut off the end:
9.jpg

Inside view
10.jpg

Then remove it all back to the bulk head - NOT easy:
11.jpg

Outside view
12.jpg

Thats as far as i have got so far, ill get more pics along the way

Any questions ill try get them answered :)

Black Gold Clio 182
Specialize in crash repairs, but also do other work, paint work, custom paint work, rust removals, services etc.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Unless you're doing this for next to nothing (or your boss is), how can there be any value in repairing something like that?

I could kind of understand it if it were a high value car, but that's not really worth that much surely, even if it were a straight up car?

Black Gold Clio 182
Well its a 2 year old Corsa, its all about saving money aint it really. We use damaged cars and repair them as our loan cars, we have an 09 Plate Fiat Panda, which was repaired beggining of this year, so it was 1 year old, had 2k on the clock, and was bought, repaired, painted all finished for £1,900. I know Pandas arent particually expensive to buy brand new, but you couldnt find a 1 year old Panda with 2k, for less than £2000.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well its a 2 year old Corsa, its all about saving money aint it really. We use damaged cars and repair them as our loan cars, we have an 09 Plate Fiat Panda, which was repaired beggining of this year, so it was 1 year old, had 2k on the clock, and was bought, repaired, painted all finished for £1,900. I know Pandas arent particually expensive to buy brand new, but you couldnt find a 1 year old Panda with 2k, for less than £2000.

Plus whatever was paid for the car in the first place.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Plus whatever was paid for the car in the first place.

Getting slow in your old age kid??

www.renparts.co.uk
Unless you're doing this for next to nothing (or your boss is), how can there be any value in repairing something like that?

I could kind of understand it if it were a high value car, but that's not really worth that much surely, even if it were a straight up car?

Yes your right, and the whole salvage repair industry is wrong and don't make any money. People still reshell new shape clios etc and make a good margin.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
is a new chassis leg something you buy off the shelf or does it come from another broken one?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Getting slow in your old age kid??

No that included the price of the car too.

My misunderstanding.

Yes your right, and the whole salvage repair industry is wrong and don't make any money. People still reshell new shape clios etc and make a good margin.

I think I actually asked questions, I didn't say you couldn't make money, I asked how it was possible with the amount of work that must be needed.

But thanks for your input.

Black Gold Clio 182
is a new chassis leg something you buy off the shelf or does it come from another broken one?

Typically they can be bought new, but the guy who owns this car, also owns a scrapyard, so this particular car is having a chassis leg from another car put in. Which is the same as a new one really, just obviously hasnt cost him anything, where as a new one would have.

nice thread.

Just out of interest, when you pulled the OS chassis leg over do you have a jig for it... or just pull it until it's what you consider straight?

TTRS & V50

Hope the customer's know that ! I can't say i'd want to drive a bent car, IMO.

My old boss used to do this with every car he bought. Never bought a new car, always a write off.

I miss working in a bodyshop, tbh.

You'd be surprised how many 2nd hand cars have been bent & repaired without insurance knowing. Every one I've had has had some sort of none recorded bump when you start taking body panels off, and you wouldn't tell from driving them.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You'd be surprised how many 2nd hand cars have been bent & repaired without insurance knowing. Every one I've had has had some sort of none recorded bump when you start taking body panels off, and you wouldn't tell from driving them.

Bet a lot of them are done during delivery to the dealers when new too! Crash repaired before they are even registered.

I think most people would be horrified some of the s**t that gets put back on the road. Over the years I've come across some real shockers, thankfully I've never had the misfortune of owning a previously bent car.

I think most people would be horrified some of the s**t that gets put back on the road. Over the years I've come across some real shockers, thankfully I've never had the misfortune of owning a previously bent car.

+1, the amount of Cat Bs that manage to get back on the road is pretty shocking tbh.

TTRS & V50
Ever driven one?

Talking about write offs, and the write offs we used to pick up were on the flat bet and they were horrendous. So no i'd not want to drive one, no matter how good of a repair it has had. Clearly talking about chassis/suspension damage write offs, rather than ever panel keyed write off.

Oh clearly, but 95% of the time you can tell if you know what your looking for. But my definition for 'bent', was the above.

It was my job to pick up and deliver crash repaired cars so I quite obviously have driven those type of repairs.

Black Gold Clio 182
nice thread.

Just out of interest, when you pulled the OS chassis leg over do you have a jig for it... or just pull it until it's what you consider straight?

The Blue part its bolted to is the Jig Bed, basically line up parts to get measurements of the car, then measure the front by measurments on paper, hard to explain really.

My old Corsa was a Cat C (damage to drivers front), didnt bother me

DSC_0147.JPG

looks like you have a caroliner there if im not mistaken lol.

Indeed it is mate, old skool style too :(

+1, the amount of Cat Bs that manage to get back on the road is pretty shocking tbh.

Cat B's are for Breaking only, they cant go back on the road. Only Cat C's with a VIC check, and Cat D's need no checks.

I now have more pics of this btw, will update tommorow, cause im knackerd lol. Have all the leg welded in, inner wing loosly fitted to check wings and bonnet fit, and its all ok. Only thing is the guy who owns it has a garage himself (just not capable of jig work), so they are painting it and re-fitting it, so i wont get so see the finished results :(

My old Corsa was a Cat C (damage to drivers front), didnt bother me

DSC_0147.JPG

and your point is? Regardless of your personal opinion or ownership history I personally would not want a car that's had a heavy impact at some point in its history regardless of how well it's alleged to have been repaired.

Two 0 Shitx
and your point is? Regardless of your personal opinion or ownership history I personally would not want a car that's had a heavy impact at some point in its history regardless of how well it's alleged to have been repaired.

I take it you only buy new cars then?

Clio
I know nothing about this, but wouldn't 99% of accidents be put down to driver mistake rather than the state of the car or the disrepair they put the car into after buying?

TTRS & V50
To be fair, not talking about 99% of people on here. Talking about personal preference, and from working within the industry I'd have a good idea.

And as we're going to throw around made up statistics I'd add that I wouldn't trust 99% of bodyshops to repair a matchbox car let alone a full sized one to an acceptable standard.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
I would drive a catagorised car but id like t see the before damage to see how much was repaired..

Cat B's are for Breaking only, they cant go back on the road. Only Cat C's with a VIC check, and Cat D's need no checks.

I know this, but I HAVE seen Cat Bs on the road AFTER being VICd! Shocking tbh but some do get through.

People with the closed minded attitude of "I wont drive a bent car" are daft imo. I'd love to see if you could tell the difference between two identical cars (one repaired, one never crashed) slammed172. If the repair is good you'd be hard pushed to tell.
There have been 4 V70s in our family, 1 Cat C 1 Cat D and 2 never crashed. All drove and felt the same, the Cat D should have been a C anyway!

TTRS & V50
Ok send me a time and date :)

Good for you, like people have said there are plenty of categorised cars on the road, and I would not like to own/drive one thanks. But of course I'm daft to have that view.

Black Gold Clio 182
Ok ok stop bitching all of you lol.

UPDATE:

Chassis leg put into place freely
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Welded in
16.jpg

17.jpg

Front beam tried on, perfect fit after some minor adjustment :p
18.jpg

19.jpg

Trial fit inner wing
20.jpg

Screwed on tempory
21.jpg

Trial fit outer section
22.jpg

Bonnet and wings tried on
23.jpg

Gaps somewhat near (bear in mind the wings and bonnet are non-genuine also)
24.jpg

25.jpg

Thats all from me folks, sealed it all up now, ill stick subframe and suspension on tommorow, then they are collecting it and finishing the rest.