ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Things to look for on an R27...

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Hopefully going to see an R27 tmrw, having had a search so far I have -

Crunchy gearbox (what gears is this likely between for people that have had new boxes?).
Working A/C on full boar.
Worn Recaros.

Anything else specific to the 197/R27 I need to look out for aside from the usual 2nd hand cars checks?

Dan

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Just check the AC works tbh..... and if it does, dont have it set on full berries, as it *might* trip out. Renault are supposed to be working on a fix. Also check door alignnment. They are quite prone to dropping as the doors are big lol. Easy fix mind.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It's just those with climate that seem to suffer from it as far as I can tell. I don't think the one I'm looking at has climate, it's just advertised as A/C. Can't stand climate anyway, so I'm hoping it doesn't :)

Dan

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yep think it is just climate. Climates ok, but i always overide it to be fair.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It gets even worse, the one I'm off to look at is fag yellow...

Dan

Clio F1 R27
If this is the type of thing that will annoy you then you should be wary of the common rattles and creaks that come from them.

There are quite a few common areas of the interior that creak, squeak and rattle.

The interior materials seem to look better than previous models, but the actual fitting doesn't seem as tight as it could be and loosens up the more miles you do.

This is not the case in all cars. Mines got the optional bluetooth kit which probably mean't the dash had to come off. Perhaps that has caused some of mine, although I know of quite a few people that have common issues.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Tell me about it!

But on the upside, it does seem to be a very keen price, and from a dealer... Gonna walk in with a wad of folding green and see what I can do about that already keen price as well ;) Might take my mum with me, she's far better at bartering than me...

Dan

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Coming from a Mk1 Vee so TBH rattles and squeaks are what driving is about for me hehe! Thanks for the advice though :)

Clio F1 R27
If you're an average size male you are probably going to get problems with your recaro's. I'm due to have my base replaced due to creaks and massive wear on the base bolster.

If the replacement starts to wear then I'm going to get the base side bolsters redone in leather. Quoted at £120-140 per seat.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm, I'll look out for wear for sure. But I beleive I can get that repaired under the warranty anyway? Those trim prices don't sound too bad either to be fair :)

If you're looking at a LY, make sure you check the paint very very closely.

There have been plenty of horror stories about LY not matching on all the panels..... the other colours haven't had much of an issue.

RE: the rattles, think its really luck of the draw. My car feels as good and rattle free as a german after 12k miles, but i've been in other 197s that are newer than mine yet rattle like crazy.

It seems if you have one problem, then you'll get another. Mine hasn'd had any issues <touch wood>

just gotta make sure u dont get a friday afternoon car... so ask as many questions as you can.... has the car been back for any warrenty work etc..

with regards to the recaros, i'm average sized but havent had any issues. Depends how u get in the car really..... i always take care not to scrape the bolster with my leg... so i tend to drop myself into the seat. My seats still look as good as new...

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Yea I've read about the paint work - I'll get it out in the sun then in the shade and get my inspection LED torch out ;) Cheers for the help :)

oh.... and some cars with auto-lights have had issues with the dash lights going blank at night.

don't think there's a fix.. and you can't really test it i guess..... usually cures itself if u turn the car off then on again though.

some xenons have had issues with the adjuster breaking and getting stuck in position....

just get a car without xenons and auto lights to save yourself the hassle!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
It's not advertised as having Xenons or autos - is there a way to tell if it has them? No idea what a Xenon bulb looks like if I'm honest...

Clio F1 R27
Hmmm, I'll look out for wear for sure. But I beleive I can get that repaired under the warranty anyway? Those trim prices don't sound too bad either to be fair :)

Yes you can but at the end of the day if they keep wearing it's hassle. The other chap is right to some degree about the seats. Unfortunately for me I put my car in the garage every night and it can sometimes be difficult not to get in and out without rubbing on the bolster.

After doing a bit of research on these seats I discovered that they are generally sold as full leather or part leather so perhaps Renault should have stuck to the original design. The name of the seat is the Recaro Sportster CS.

The company I got the quote from is below. They do come recommended by Recaro and will restitch exactly how it was done originally.

http://www.auto-trim.co.uk/

just look for the ugly black washer jets in front of the lights. if it has them, it has xenons iirc.

its possible to have auto lights without xenons... u can check this by looking at the indicator stalk. Look at the end of the tip... if u can press it down it switches auto lights on and off. if its blanked off and doesn't move, then no autolights.

Clio F1 R27
If you're looking at a LY, make sure you check the paint very very closely.

There have been plenty of horror stories about LY not matching on all the panels..... the other colours haven't had much of an issue.

RE: the rattles, think its really luck of the draw. My car feels as good and rattle free as a german after 12k miles, but i've been in other 197s that are newer than mine yet rattle like crazy.

It seems if you have one problem, then you'll get another. Mine hasn'd had any issues <touch wood>

just gotta make sure u dont get a friday afternoon car... so ask as many questions as you can.... has the car been back for any warrenty work etc..

with regards to the recaros, i'm average sized but havent had any issues. Depends how u get in the car really..... i always take care not to scrape the bolster with my leg... so i tend to drop myself into the seat. My seats still look as good as new...

I'd tend to agree.

It's really hit and miss with faults on them.

The car feels better made, but don't let that decieve you!!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Right so, noted the indicator stalks and Xenons things. Ta :)

And as for the wear, yea getting them fixed all the time would be dead annoying - but if they are worn it might be a good way of getting money off, then getting them sorted under warranty, then getting them trimmed nice at a later date...

Cheers guys :)

Dan

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Looking at the pics, I can see no washer jets. So that's a semi result, and also I can say, it doesn't have the Xenons option, as some vague bargaining chip heh ;)

Dan

Clio v6 & Atom 300

Yes you can but at the end of the day if they keep wearing it's hassle. The other chap is right to some degree about the seats. Unfortunately for me I put my car in the garage every night and it can sometimes be difficult not to get in and out without rubbing on the bolster.

After doing a bit of research on these seats I discovered that they are generally sold as full leather or part leather so perhaps Renault should have stuck to the original design. The name of the seat is the Recaro Sportster CS.

The company I got the quote from is below. They do come recommended by Recaro and will restitch exactly how it was done originally.

http://www.auto-trim.co.uk/

I seats are indeed recaro sportster CS. I have them in my Vee in leather and suede. Yummy!:cool:

I am not "large of 4RSE" and they are figure hugging for me so i can easily imagine cloth on the side bolsters wearing badly... :dapprove:

Peter

Clio F1 R27
Looking at the pics, I can see no washer jets. So that's a semi result, and also I can say, it doesn't have the Xenons option, as some vague bargaining chip heh ;)

Dan

There are three types of lights, halogen, sports and xenon. The last two have auto detect built in and have the projector style lense with the black surround and dedicated cornering lights.

Faults aside I personally think a 197 looks much better with the sports or xenon lights as the projector style lense looks much more up to date and adds a sportier, modern look.

Also the projector lights give off the blue tint which I think suits the car better than halogen.

Clio F1 R27
This is the projector style light which gives off a blue tint and has the cornering light and black surround.

Each to their own, but I think it looks better than halogen bulb.

Attachments

• myr27d.jpg
    myr27d.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 56

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Do they have an Aux in? Can i plug an ipod into the standard head unit?