ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Things to declare to insurance company

Titanium 182
For things like a bee sting aerial and silvervision bulbs

If i were in an accident and I hadnt delared these minor things would it be invalid?

Yeah usually just the main things, i suppose if it came to the worst and you wrecked it just pull any un-declared bits off, where possible obviously!

Titanium 182
yeah i knew about the larger things like that, just wasnt sure on the little subtle things like aerial and flat wiper blades?

Clio Sport xxx
Surely with unobvious things, such as engine mods (cams, 4-branch, reworked inlet etc) you could just pleed you dont know about them...

Insurance inspector: "Whats this then, we've found Kent cams, aftermarket exhaust manifold and a KnF filter, all un-declared on your written off Clio??"

Me: "Duno what your on about mate, previous owner must have done it... seems totally standard to me!"

I'll be damned if i'm declaring my engine mods :)

Surely with unobvious things, such as engine mods (cams, 4-branch, reworked inlet etc) you could just pleed you dont know about them...

Insurance inspector: "Whats this then, we've found Kent cams, aftermarket exhaust manifold and a KnF filter, all un-declared on your written off Clio??"

Me: "Duno what your on about mate, previous owner must have done it... seems totally standard to me!"

I'll be damned if i'm declaring my engine mods :)

I agree with you totally and would probably try the same but id imagine there is probably something in the small print about that kind of thing? Insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying up, scumbags.

Clio Sport xxx
Seem comletely unreasonable though... so what, they expect every customer to have internal mechanical inspections on second hand cars to find out if the engine has been moddified, it just doesn't happen.

As it happens, i brought my 172 2nd hand from Renault and it had indeed been modified - it has an ITG air filter fitted, which i didn't have a clue about untill i went to fit a new ITG 4 months after i brought it!! lmao

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Some people on here are taking big risks.A few years back my mate had an RS2000 which was standard appart from a stainless back box and air filter.Once he crashed they would not pay out due to the car being modded,and him not declairing......

Be careful

a green 1
they wouldnt really be able to tell engine mods, what about exhausts as im aiming to upgrade mine in the new year?

None
little things like aerials etc they couldnt give a monkeys about really. Lexus lights, alloys, suspension etc they do along with engine mods

For what is usually a small extra cost on the insurance, it's silly not to declare anything.

They wriggle hard enough to get out of paying anyway, without us giving them a proper reason...

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
These assessors are highly trained engineers not house wifes.

Not declaring mods, you may as well not have insurance.

Clio Sport xxx
ok, so you buy a car second hand from a dealer, so you have no chance of talking to previous owner about work done to it. Hypothetically speaking, the car has actually had aftermarket cams and an ecu re-map, but nothing in the cars history actually suggests this, nor does the salesman have any idea. So you buy the car, having no idea its had engine mods and so you insure it as such. You could drive round in that car for a year, and unless your 'in the know' about that particular car you will never know about those mods. Later on you write the car off.... im pretty sure they wont be able to legally screw you over for that... if they do its F**KING WRONG!! How can you possibly declare moddifications you have no idea about?!?!?

But coming back to the original post, as others said, little things like bulbs, aerials, gearnobs etc your shouldnt have to worry about. Any other larger things which obviously change the look and/or performance of the car i.e. light clusters, suspension, wheels exhaust, tints etc are a must

Last edited:
  FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
exhausts, filters etc yes, as they can be seen. remaps, bulbs, cd players, aerials etc no.

visualize whirled pe
Lights and ariel; I doubt it'd make a difference, why not call them and ask?

Having mods and not declaring them is a gamble, it depends on the type of accident and what the crash involves. If for example you slide off the road and take a bus stop full of waiting passengers out then the crash investigator will impound your car and will be looking all over every inch to see if you are responsible for the accident. He will want to know if it was mechanical failure if they spot dodgy goings on with what you have done to the car and it doesn't tally with the insurance you better pray the bereaved families dont sue your arse.

Some people think if you ever have an accident it'll just be a tap and they can drive the car home and swap the bits over for standard, not a very clever line of logic if you ask me; they will be playing a lottery every-time they take the car out, the consequences of which could financially cripple them for a long time..

visualize whirled pe
ok, so you buy a car second hand from a dealer, so you have no chance of talking to previous owner about work done to it. Hypothetically speaking, the car has actually had aftermarket cams and an ecu re-map, but nothing in the cars history actually suggests this, nor does the salesman have any idea. So you buy the car, having no idea its had engine mods and so you insure it as such. You could drive round in that car for a year, and unless your 'in the know' about that particular car you will never know about those mods. Later on you write the car off.... im pretty sure they wont be able to legally screw you over for that... if they do its F**KING WRONG!! How can you possibly declare moddifications you have no idea about?!?!?

But coming back to the original post, as others said, little things like bulbs, aerials, gearnobs etc your shouldnt have to worry about. Any other larger things which obviously change the look and/or performance of the car i.e. light clusters, suspension, wheels exhaust, tints etc are a must

Again depending on the severity of the crash, but I imagine in a bad accident you would be guilty of driving an uninsured vehicle if you know the facts of not. Say it was a multi million pound lawsuit or involving deaths:

I would imagine you would have to employ a lawer (if it went to court) who could proove that you had no idea the car was modified. They could technically trace adverts from the seller, interveiw the garage and even find the serial numbers of the parts and see when and where they were ordered and by whom they were purchaced by. If you didn't buy the part and didn't fit it and you can prove you have no link that could put you in a situation where you know that it was modified only then are you lightly to get away with it.
I would also imagine that the part of the vehicle that was aftermarket would in some way be linked to the cause of the accident for it to go this far (in terms of who is to blame) as far as who is liable for the claim (which could like I say run into millions if you cause a catastophy) it would be a fight between you and your insurers and they would have the upper hand as they can say that you have undeclared mods regardless of your knowledge.

Last edited:
  Shed.
lol i had an IK on mine for about 6 months at one point. never declared it. ended up taking it off because it was just f**king gay and made a noise.

i was wondering about my new car. all seems std. but what iff ?

FIAT PANDA 100HP!!!!
i have had a ik on all cars that could have one, and never declared it. you can play dumb for most things too!

I have always wondered what would happen if you bought a car with modified internals, but weren't aware so therefore never declared them, and an assessor found them.

Who would take an engine apart? Like someone mentioned, they bought their car and it happened to already have an ITG filter fitted. He wasn't aware and hadn't declared it.

What if my Mum decided to go and buy a 2002 dynamique, but the previous owner had put 2004 wheels on it? She wouldn't have a clue, but they are classed as a modification. Would they pay out?

visualize whirled pe
lol i had an IK on mine for about 6 months at one point. never declared it. ended up taking it off because it was just f**king gay and made a noise.

Better hope and pray you don't cause an accident then ay, because if you hit someone and they are injured and your insurance doesn't cough up you had better start counting your pennies.

a green 1
ive recently bought myself a cat back system for my 182, phoned my insurance up to declare and you have to be 25 so im stuffed, gotta sell it now :(

Better hope and pray you don't cause an accident then ay, because if you hit someone and they are injured and your insurance doesn't cough up you had better start counting your pennies.

Or alternatively he could just put the standard airbox on before the acessor arrives.

visualize whirled pe
I have always wondered what would happen if you bought a car with modified internals, but weren't aware so therefore never declared them, and an assessor found them.

Who would take an engine apart? Like someone mentioned, they bought their car and it happened to already have an ITG filter fitted. He wasn't aware and hadn't declared it.

What if my Mum decided to go and buy a 2002 dynamique, but the previous owner had put 2004 wheels on it? She wouldn't have a clue, but they are classed as a modification. Would they pay out?

Ok lets put it this way. If you have an induction kit and you dont know you have an induction kit that is NO EXCUSE, the police, the insurers, the courts have all heard it all before. Even if you are genuine that sort of response prob wont fly in the event of a serious crash; possession is 9/10 of the law and making excuses will be seen as your way of trying to get out of it. You may get calght you might not, it is like I said before a gamble.

visualize whirled pe

Or alternatively he could just put the standard airbox on before the acessor arrives.

FFS NOT EVERY CRASH IS A LIGHT TAP AND YOU DRIVE HOME AND WRITE ABOUT IT ON HERE!!!! If he has a crash so bad he wakes up in hospital and goes "where is my car?" and is then informed by an officer it's being checked over what does he do then!!!??

Titanium 182
ive recently bought myself a cat back system for my 182, phoned my insurance up to declare and you have to be 25 so im stuffed, gotta sell it now :(

direct line by any chance?

That happened to me today, probably somewhere in the small print i had to be 25 or over to modify

Iv now changed to greenlight which is 150 cheaper. all this hassle for an exhaust. Iv lost out tho as i paid a 200 quid deposit only last month :dapprove:

I could of solved the problem by not fitting the exhaust...but i want my Milltek

Ok lets put it this way. If you have an induction kit and you dont know you have an induction kit that is NO EXCUSE, the police, the insurers, the courts have all heard it all before. Even if you are genuine that sort of response prob wont fly in the event of a serious crash; possession is 9/10 of the law and making excuses will be seen as your way of trying to get out of it. You may get calght you might not, it is like I said before a gamble.

I don't have any uninsured mods, I was just saying.

I suppose we'd best all strip down all the cars we buy from now on just incase.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Insurance decleration according to Cliosport. Anything thats not factory standard. This includes, oil (must be elf), replacement panel filters (must be Renault only, no motorfactor stuff), silver visions, tyres (must be PE2), airfreshners. Hell according to this place i need to find an ELF service station, as thats what fuel it left the factory with!!!! ;). The list goes on...............................

Last edited:
  Titanium 182
Insurance decleration according to Cliosport. Anything thats not factory standard. This includes, oil (must be elf), replacement panel filters (must be Renault only, no motorfactor stuff), silver visions, tyres (must be PE2), airfreshners. Hell according to this place i need to find an ELF service stantion, as thats what fuel it left the factory with!!!! ;). The list goes on...............................

You are kidding me, i can just see it now

Insurance Guy - Oi Oi Oi Whats this then, looks like an air freshner to me

Me - yes sir, i have declared my exhaust etc

Insurance Guy - you didnt tell me about this air freshner...DENIED

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Some people on here are way anal. My mate ran someone over a few months ago (long story lol!!!!) Clio 1.2. Lowered, exhaust, alloys, (steelies from factory) body coloured bumpers. Non declared. Car wrote off as he whent over the roof (bent). Full pay out.

a green 1
yes it was with direct line, im gutted, ah well in the long run it may be best to keep it standard :)

That happened to me today, probably somewhere in the small print i had to be 25 or over to modify

Iv now changed to greenlight which is 150 cheaper. all this hassle for an exhaust. Iv lost out tho as i paid a 200 quid deposit only last month :dapprove:

I could of solved the problem by not fitting the exhaust...but i want my Milltek

visualize whirled pe
Insurance decleration according to Cliosport. Anything thats not factory standard. This includes, oil (must be elf), replacement panel filters (must be Renault only, no motorfactor stuff), silver visions, tyres (must be PE2), airfreshners. Hell according to this place i need to find an ELF service stantion, as thats what fuel it left the factory with!!!! ;). The list goes on...............................

You are kidding me, i can just see it now

Insurance Guy - Oi Oi Oi Whats this then, looks like an air freshner to me

Me - yes sir, i have declared my exhaust etc

Insurance Guy - you didnt tell me about this air freshner...DENIED

Well thank god it aint this bad, but I bet you the major manufacturers would love it if it was! I was dealing with worst case scenarios and in these instances the last thing you want to add to the situation is the possibility of a void claim.

It is a wind up for me when people just think they'll just swap it all over after a crash and advise other people to do it too. You can bet your life they'd be on here like a shot bleating and moaning about being hit by an uninsured driver etc when they are adding to the problem by telling people to drive with void insurance!

FFS NOT EVERY CRASH IS A LIGHT TAP AND YOU DRIVE HOME AND WRITE ABOUT IT ON HERE!!!! If he has a crash so bad he wakes up in hospital and goes "where is my car?" and is then informed by an officer it's being checked over what does he do then!!!??

My view is if you have a crash and wake up in hospital the chances are the cars going to be so fucked anyway they are not going to be able to work out it had an uprated panel filter. Ive always declared my mods though.

visualize whirled pe

My view is if you have a crash and wake up in hospital the chances are the cars going to be so f**ked anyway they are not going to be able to work out it had an uprated panel filter. Ive always declared my mods though.

You said replace the air box after a crash, naturally leading me to believe you were talking about an IK not a panel.

You say 'the chances are' they are not going to work out it is an uprated panel filter. Why tell people to, 'take a chance' on insurance seeing when you obviously won't follow your own bad advice as like you also mentioned, You 'always' declare your mods.

Last edited:
I remember when Si crashed his car, was a write off but he walked away, a Policeman went with him to the car to see what he took out (just CD's/Wallet etc) but you cant start taking wheels or exhausts off..

Ive declared wheels, exhaust, IK, tints, colour coding, quickshift, lights and lowering. Some of those might not have been essential, but im happy im covered if I stack it and I dont have to worry about insurance not paying out.

D

dannyh_17

what do people use when the insurance question where is your car kept, i always say garaged when really its just on the drive what about everyone else i bet im not the only one lol

Evo 6, E92 320d

Can't remember fully but it says no mods untill 25 on the back of your certificate or in the little drivers handbook.