ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

the trouble with r5 turbo’s

Titanium ph1 turbo

Sigh,

Ok... as you might or might not know, I bought a minter on ebay, 1 previous lady owner etc etc... totally standard..

Anyway, I got it MOTd and taxed this week as its spent its life so far in my garage waiting for the hot summer weather...

After driving it about a few days ago I noticed the temp guage was running up in the 2/3rds mark constantly, so I decided to check the system was bleed properly... upon closer inspection I noticed the thermostat didnt look right, nor did it fit in place flush like it should do.. I checked through the paper history I have with the car and found it had been replaced in 1999. Anyway, I went to Halfords today, picked up a new thermostat, came home.. installed, ran engine.... bingo, sits exactly half way the way its supposed to....

Right... so the only other thing wrong I know about on the car is someone whos previously carried out work on the car has used a bolt and washer instead of a proper plastic bleed screw in the top hose...

Got about 3 miles down the dual carridgeway and the temp guage starts rising and rising... pulled off at next slip road and steam is pissing out from under the bonnet.. opens the bonnet to find the bolt is missing (I heard a loud bang about 3 mins before all this), so its obviousl y came out under pressure and the engine has decided to empty half the cooling system through the hole in the top hose all over my engine bay...

*GREAT*...

so I called my girlfriend who came down in the car, I then had to make her wait with my r5 (shes 6 months pregnant), whilst I drove back home to put together a first aid kit... gets back, re-bleeds all the cooling system twice, found a bolt which fitted.. then limped home at 40 praying it didnt come shooting out...

got home, and to my amazement whilst searching around in my toolbox found a top hose plastic bleed screw!! great I thought.. only to try and fit it and found the c**k who used a bolt instead has made the hole bigger and f**ked the threading...

So now all that remains is for me to order a new top hose, and my 5 should be back on track...

I kept asking myself, why did I want one of these cars again !!????????? never ending mechanical issues.

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 17 July 2005

A Renault 5 needs to be modded! Same of the standard bits just arent up to the job!
nah, the oldies - and original in this case should be left standard - too many cocked up ones knocking about imho

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

i would get a set of black SFS sillicone water hoses, look standard.... and i think u will find a standard hose is about 40 quid from renault lol

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 17 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 17 July 2005A Renault 5 needs to be modded! Same of the standard bits just arent up to the job![/QUOTE]nah, the oldies - and original in this case should be left standard - too many cocked up ones knocking about imho

Didnt mean it like that. I meant improved to work better.

Quote: Originally posted by matt the cat on 17 July 2005

A Renault 5 needs to be modded! Same of the standard bits just arent up to the job!
nah, the oldies - and original in this case should be left standard - too many cocked up ones knocking about imho

Didnt mean it like that. I meant improved to work better.
aaah my mistake - a thousand pardons

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Main things I did one mine were...

Uprated copper cored rad
low temp thermostat
low temp rad fan switch
high speed rad fan motor
some new hoses & clips
kevlar turbo heatshield
Keep it running cool and it will keep on running!