ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Road to the Applecross Pass

Tav

Clio 197
JUST PASSING THROUGH - The road to the Applecross Pass
Featuring the Renault Sport Clio 182 Cup

rbatest2.jpg

At mid-day I had a brain storm. I fired up my Mac and went onto Google Maps for a look to see if it was feasible. 439 mi and approx. 11 hours 2 mins. 100 miles short of a trip to London and without the luxury of a motorway...best get going!

Link to Google Maps: http://tiny.cc/applecrossmap

I decided today was the day to head over to the infamous Applecross pass. I was in at Shell by 1 and with tyres, oil and fuel taken care off I was pointing the Clio westwards.

rbamap.jpg

Up and over the A93 through Ballater, Braemar, the Cairngorms national park and finally through the snow gates approaching Glen Shee. This road is absolutely fantastic as it snakes along a valley floor between the hills. Higher speeds easily obtainable and with a view sometimes well in excess of a mile you can happily use both sides of the sweeping road. I could write a thread on the A93 alone.

rba4.jpg

The signs show this road is not to be messed with, that's 3 within a few meters! Down the other side and into another valley floor. An epically long straight followed by a lumpy, bumpy, yumpy and sometimes jumpy stretch that's scarred with the marks of many fouled sumps. The A93 is a road of extreme contrasts. Clio is in its element, with the sensible ride height providing plenty of wheel travel there is no need for the pace to drop. Just as well I saved lunch till later...

rba5.jpg

rba3.jpg

70 miles covered and its time for a lunch stop. Thank you Shell petrol station for providing V Power and a delicious sandwich. As the Clio ticked it's self cool I sat and watched drenched bikers doing their best to pedal the two miles of steep gradient, better turn the heater on it's getting cold in here!

rba2.jpg

rba6.jpg

rba7.jpg

The long straight in the picture above? You bet I did!

As entertaining as they are I've always thought of the majority of Scottish roads as imperfect, lumpen and neglected. Imagine my surprise when in the middle of the highlands and hugging the edge of a Loch I came across a pristine, almost virgin, stretch of black tarmac that lasted for miles upon miles. If you have a car with firm suspension and a low ride height then this is the road for you.

rba10.jpg

After finally reaching the top of another summit I came across a view that was really worth stopping for.

rba11.jpg

rba8.jpg

Mountains behind and more mountains in front. No going back now!

rba9.jpg

rba14.jpg

rba12.jpg

Time for tea. Nutritious! What a view to grab a bite to eat beside.

rba25.jpg

rba16.jpg

The famous, or should that be infamous sign. I think it'd make a lot of people think twice but this is what I've come almost 200 miles for.

rba15.jpg

rba17.jpg

On the way up I stopped to snap a few photo's to show the intimidating road and land scape. No claims of flat out pedalling here, this road needs to be treated with respect. Steep drops to the left, only wide enough for one car and armco barrier that probably brings a false sense of security.

rba18.jpg

rba19.jpg

rba20.jpg

It really is Scotland's own version of the Stelvio Pass. Below is the view from the first parking spot back down the valley. This has to be seen with your own eyes to be appreciated...

rba24.jpg

rba23.jpg

Above is the view from the summit. I don't know how but the further you go the better the views get, it's stunning! Some old couple had set up there motor home here, perhaps I can see the perks of caravan-ing when there is a view like this to wake up to.

rba22.jpg

Looking out over the Atlantic as the sun sets, perfect end to a perfect drive...well it would be but for the drive home. Road to Inverness is flat, open and has the potential for huge speeds. The prospect of meeting a deer was enough to keep my cruising speed down though. Entering Inverness on the Kessock Bridge at night makes for a grand entrance. I guelled up at a 24H Esso (thank you iPhone and Googlemaps) before setting my sights on Aberdeen and making my way home with no more stops.

~fin~

Clio 197 + Mrk 3 DCI
Mate, that just made an awesome read! Fantastic illustrations to, feel like ive jsut done the trip! I really want to go for a drive now...hello Midwales this weekend...I know it doesnt really compare lol

Thanks for Sharing

Titanium 182
I'm driving to the Lakes tonight then Edinburgh tomorrow. Looking forward to it now :D

(Although I doubt it will be as good as that!)

Tav, you're a legend! Whatever happened to the Scottish run?

What time did you leave/get home? Did you go on your own?

Doubt the G would go over most of those roads! :lolup:

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Was so close to ding it recently, went along the Achnasheen road to Lochcarron (at epic speeds ;)) but didnt have enough fuel to get to Applecross and back and no gurantee of a petrol station being open at the time of night we were there. Gutted!

However, having seen the pics I'll be brimming it before leaving Inverness next time!

172 Cup
Absolutely cracking thread this, some of those pictures are making me very jealous :dapprove:

Well done for getting through that Applecross unscathed, as they looked like some very rough and testing roads.

Motorbikes
Epic.

Would love a run up there but a bit further from Stirling. Always wanted to do it on the bike too.

Great post and awesome pictures. Wish i had some decent driving roads and scenery like that near me. The South East sucks.

Tav

Clio 197
Thanks for all the comments, I was just really keen to share and hear about other peoples experiences and hopefully inspire other people to give it a go.

Left at about 1PM and got home at 1AM...long time behind the wheel and yes I went it alone. Company might have been good but it felt like a proper voyage of discovery going it a lone...little daunting as well. I was a LONG way from home.

Think you might struggle in the G Justin but then many of the other roads you'd be right at home. Big fast sweeping corners along the sides of lochs. Was quick the Clio, would be ridiculous in the G.

£80 4.0 Mega pixel pocket Nikon camera BTW and touched up in Photoshop, it's all you need :) Wish I had a DSLR!

Don't know what happened to the Scottish run Justin. Got busy and sort of forgot about it...whoopsie. Seems quite difficult to get a date for everyone unless you set it in stone far in advance. Boys over on EVW are keen for a Applecross run, you'd be more than welcome on that I am sure if it goes a head.

Next time I want to get video. Pictures of cars moving. A maybe with a DSLR for better quality. Oh and I'd leave earlier so I could get tea and home before stupid o' clock in the morning!

Nimbus Megane R26
fantastic trip and write up, would love to do this next summer! As good as wales is, not a patch on that.

superbenji88

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i
Epic, good write up as well.

Would love to do something like this when I have my car as i want it

Tav

Clio 197
I bet that write up took a while
cracking read and looks like a worth while drive

I was going to do a proper write up and maybe have published it in online PDF ala Driver's Republic or what not but they pics took SO long I chickened out. Next time, just learning. Glad people are enjoying it.

Porsche Boxster987S
outstanding pics and write up. This is one of the best threads ive read in the media section since i came across cliosport. These roads are only a short drive away from us members down in the central belt , im definitly going to make the time to drive this. Thanks for sharing:)

Tav

Clio 197
Ally your photos might not be clear but I wish had snapped some at those angles, love how much of the pass you can see in each one.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I refuse to believe you did that - you took those shots with a 4.0mp!
Some of them would put some of my DSLR shots to shame lol

Crackin drive & snaps - fair play mate :)

ST
Great thread mate.

Paulie...you fancy it one wkend son...probs costs the same as stuntin' round town in fuel LOL?

Porsche Boxster987S
Great thread mate.

Paulie...you fancy it one wkend son...probs costs the same as stuntin' round town in fuel LOL?

mate , DEFINITLY! This is the thread i was saying to you about the other night. Looks awesome eh?

ST
Yep...we'd have a field day...my charger whinin' like a 17 YO fae Carnbroe doin anal for the first time, your turbo whistlin' like like a peedo at a primary school..oh aye!!

Porsche Boxster987S
Yep...we'd have a field day...my charger whinin' like a 17 YO fae Carnbroe doin anal for the first time, your turbo whistlin' like like a peedo at a primary school..oh aye!!

Think wed get it all done in a day?? Taking into account the journey up north to start it and back home from finish point? Would be epic