ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Red Munter (MX5 track hack project)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
How come your aren't going through the parcel shelf with the cage? I was under the impression it wasn't a good place to mount it?

Or is there thicker metal where yours is mounted but that's where the roof normally is?

Love reading your updates at the moment

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
I've just copied the mounting points from the cage in my race car - the spreader plates are welded to both vertical and horizontal sections so I reckon this may be stronger than welding into the rear floor which will just be a flat pan (unless you can pick up the chassis rails, I guess?). I must admit I didn't explore that idea, but maybe I should have done - I have seen a few cars done that way.

Last edited:
  Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
We'll see I guess :laughing:

Nah, I'll be adding some bracing, like this...

cage.jpg

Or maybe three bars rather than two to make the door area into an X, will just have to see what elbow clearance is like.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
To be fair I bet its different as you've welded it in and I've seen those race cars hold up pretty well in some of the crashes in the mx5 races.

I only know what I see on Nutz where people prefer the half cages that go through, but all those are bolt in type so I would guess being welded in its a lot stronger.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Progress! I had a week off due to work commitments but have managed to crack on this last week.

Decided to use various body panels that weren't good enough / not legal for the race car, which has given a few different colours... Graphics will be removed at some stage!

rm42.jpg

Cage and seats in:

rm43.jpg

Screen on (took quite a long time making / welding the widgety bits for the frame). The white strip along the top is some 1"x1" PVC angle from B&Q, it makes a surprising difference to how the air comes off the top of the screen!

rm44.jpg

Interior:

rm45.jpg

Rolled the car outside to spray the cage and drive it around the car park a bit.

rm46.jpg

rm47.jpg

Then it went back to bed for the night:

rm48.jpg

Then the subject of contention on another forum! I actually found another set of doors I forgot I had, and decided the car was looking too goo... I mean, not too s**t, so couldn't have the estate agent signs bolted to the side. Out came the grinder and an evening later I now have OE style doors which are bolted into place using the original hinges and can be removed if necessary.

rm49.jpg

Booked Cadwell for 16th June so that will be first outing, not toooo much to do now but waiting for tyres to arrive before I can sort ride heights (via spacers on the shocks) and geo. I have also ordered a load of cans of matt black as I think that will look better than 3 different coloured panels.

Total spend so far £1020.08, anyone need any spare bits for about £20? Haha.

Swift Sport
Looking good! Well, you know what I mean... I'm sure it'll be a riot on track :)

Got any rear calipers? I've got a binding brake and a suspect I'll need to replace the caliper.

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
Does look like it's going to be great fun! Do you just plan to get wet if it rains?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Looking good! Well, you know what I mean... I'm sure it'll be a riot on track :smile:

Got any rear calipers? I've got a binding brake and a suspect I'll need to replace the caliper.

Haha, yeah. It'll be fun, that's what matters.

I think I have a couple of calipers but keen to save them for the same reason... sorry!

Does look like it's going to be great fun! Do you just plan to get wet if it rains?

Umbrella with cage mount 😂😂😂

Nice idea, maybe I'll try that :p Nah, have one of these from the Westfield, works a treat: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Bea...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item35e79045be

Adam please bring this to the next trials forum track day, it would please me.

Pretty sure I will, and you can drive it as long as you promise not to do it like a spacker next time :p

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You can passenger and slap me around the face with a cod if I get a bit lairy.

When my new wheels are on I'll be setting the ride height up again plus I need to fit some new wheel bearings would you be able to corner weight and geo set up the car again please?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Cheers dude but they'll be too expensive for this build! How much is cheap, can ask around if you like? A few of the guys I race with have been thinking about a set.

£300 collected from Oldham! In good condition - not seized or anything like that, paint on the springs has gone and they could do with new dust boots probably.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
More bad mobile phone pics, but getting there now...

Steering wheel spacer boshed out on the lathe, steering wheel swapped and rear view mirror in place (managed to use the original one with some mental juggling!):

rm50.jpg

Headlight blanks in place. Probably the best ones I've done to date, happy with how neat and simple they are. Rivinut in the wing is the other fixing position.

rm51.jpg

And a small slit in the underside of the return lip so it locates on the bonnet seal's metal 'skeleton' (rubber removed, obviously).

rm52.jpg

Got all pikey with an intake mod, just to suck cool air and maybe give a bit more noise. The bit bolted to the firewall is made from an old airbox I chopped up, and the silicone pipe screws on perfectly with no need for a clip!

rm53.jpg

rm54.jpg

Wheels and tyres are at the local garage now for fitting (need to get myself a tyre fitting machine, spend a fortune there!):

rm55.jpg

Also chucked the car on the scales and the weight was quite different to what I expected... It was on the original wheels though and still had harnesses to go in. Should have a final weight by tonight :)

Swift Sport
Booked in for its MOT Monday??

Love how quickly you've knocked this together. It takes me longer to build Lego.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Haha, sadly not :p

Cheers dude, tbh it is a Lego car really, so simple to bash together!

Appears the grinder will be making an appearance again... there has to be 3kg somewhere...

rm56.jpg

Swift Sport
I'm surprised how heavy a standard mk1 is, especially considering my Ignis was just over 900kgs with a roof and full interior. Good work on getting it down to 800 though!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Yeah, it's all the RWD gubbins, the roof, subframes, etc. It's actually pretty heavy for an early 90s car I reckon!

Anyway, it had it's maiden voyage this weekend around the industrial estate, got up to temp fine, holds very good oil pressure (although I am using 10w60) and the engine runs smoothly / quietly :up:

Tyres got fitted Friday and got balanced up with my cheapo static balancer, which seems to - with care - give as good or better results than the monkey at the local garage on their dynamic balancer.

rm56b.jpg

Also made a new lower front strut brace out of some bits of scrap - the old one was pretty low and the car may have struggled to get on my trailer. No pics of that but it's hardly exciting :smile:

After a lot of fecking about I managed to get the car 'flat' (measured to the sills, which is ~20-25mm chassis rake = perfect) - the spring platforms aren't screw thread adjustable on these shocks, they are done with a circlip / recess, so the adjustment is a pain - and then sorted the geo.

The way to do these for track is max out the front camber and caster (but make caster even left to right), then set the rear camber to 0.3-0.7deg more than the front. More camber difference = more relative rear grip = less oversteer.

Caster can be checked by turning the front wheels through 20 degrees in one direction (as viewed from above), measuring the camber, then turning back through 40 degrees to 20 degrees in the other direction, subtracting the new camber value from the previous one and multiplying by 1.5.

Rear toe should be somewhere between parallel and 10 mins toe in, front between parallel and 10 mins out. Any more toe than this and the car is even more slow on the straights (if that is possible). Parallel at the rear is quickest but not ideal for novices.

Anyway, this car turned out to be a 'good one' so despite it not being all that low (around 120mm to the bottom of the sill on 195/50/15s) it came out with -2.9 deg camber up front (my race car will only get to 2.6 at 110mm, for comparison). So the rear was set to -3.4 deg camber with a smidge of toe in, then the front end sorted out too.

rm58.gif

(In case anyone is wondering, CleaR Motorsport is a side project of mine which offers full geo setups, corner weighting, chassis / spring rate / ARB rate calculations / appraisals, chassis setup tools, ARDS qualified driver training, and upgrade parts for Se7en type cars including ARBs & diffusers.)

Note the difference between sill (Ride Ht S) and wishbone (Ride Ht W) values, showing that you can't set these bent old cars up using sill heights!

rm57.jpg

That weight and geo is with 153kg on board (about 81kg in the drivers seat and 72kg in the passenger side) - you can't set a car up properly without weight in it as it completely changes everything.

Pretty impressed with how close the corner weighting is (thanks Mr Mazda) - I'd prefer to get it 'right' but it's not possible without making loads of 0.5mm shims for the spring platforms and painstakingly fitting them! The wedge (cross weight percentage of over 50.0%, under 50% is called de-wedge) will help with understeer and give the front end relatively more grip on right handers anyway, which make up 2/3rds of the corners on UK race tracks.

Next up... add some padding to the cage and a little bit to the driver's seat in the back area, at the moment with a helmet on it annoyingly hits the headrest on the seat and pushes your head down / forwards a bit. Then I'll bang it on a trailer and spank it round Three Sisters on Thursday, hoping the brakes bed in and feel less shite!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
First outing today, exactly a month after I got it!

Since the last pics a few small jobs have been done and it was also attacked in a very pikey fashion with 6 cans of Simoniz's finest 'Satin Matt Black' - which turns out to be an absolute pig to get a decent finish with compared to the 'Matt Black' I actually ordered. Never mind, it was always destined to look s**t anyway :lol:

rm59.jpg

So there it is on the 13" steelies with the slicks, haven't sprayed the inside yet because I only had an hour and a half to do it (including the 'prep' - a wipe over with some wire wool) so couldn't be arsed to remove the seats.

Anyway - was out at a test morning at Three Sisters near Wigan today, it's mainly a kart track but they also hold car sprints and motorbike racing there, so it's not too tight / small.

The car drives just like any MX-5, but is a little 'perkier' which I guess is down to less weight and less drag at higher speeds. The 'screen' works great and you don't get any buffeting (tested up to about 75mph so far), and the lack of A pillars is awesome. The mirror is perhaps a touch too high at the moment and it impedes vision slightly for left handers, but that can be easily sorted. The open diff is a little frustrating but may have sourced a VSLD which I can bang in easily. Tempted to make up a set of firmer ARBs (and make the rear one adjustable) as the car was a bit 'wet' on some changes of direction even with the damping wound up pretty high, but we shall see - at the moment it is 110% impossible to spin which will be ideal for letting mates drive (you'll see how hard I tried to in the vid)! Will make a small front splitter / air dam before Cadwell on Tuesday as high speed understeer frustrates the s**t out of me, haha. Gearbox is a bit crap going from 2nd to 3rd and back the other way, but hoping the small wheels will allow 3-4-5 gears to be used rather than 2-3-4 like normal.

Since it was a test day I banged the lap timer / datalogger in, mainly to compare the Nankang road tyres I have on one set of wheels to the £40 slicks (yup, I paid £10 each!) on the other set. The difference was pretty mega - had about 20 laps on the Nankangs to get settled in then my first lap on the slicks was well over a second quicker, haha (~48s lap on the road tyres). That is the best £:time ratio upgrade ever in my eyes!

In the end the slicks were worth about 2s a lap around here, a few factors contribute - smaller rolling radius, lighter and the tyre compound - but it's still impressive. Ended up doing consistent low 46s and the only other car there, a multiple championship winning Porker 924 was running high 48s / low 49s (edit: just checked it out and yep, he's won the series a few times and currently running 2nd this year. Based on their lap times this one should definitely be quicker than the race car!).

Also compared some data between this and the race car (which is about 15bhp up but 65-70kg heavier), not from the same circuit but as close as I could get, the exit from a right hander onto a flat straight in both cases - the Munter will consistently pull from 45-73mph in 3rd at full throttle in 7s, the race car is 7.3s. That'll do for me :)

Video is below... One thing to bear in mind is that this is a seriously budget 'test day' and there are no marshalls or medical crew on site, so I couldn't push too hard, but it did allow me to get to grips with the car a bit. Can definitely get stuck in more on the brakes but will need a larger track with some actual braking zones to get used to that.

The last clip is a head cam which might be a little nauseating (sorry), but it was a 'selfish' addition as I'm trying to make myself look further through corners and in turn bash kerbs a bit more.

Swift Sport
First trackday already? Great stuff!

Would alloy 13's save a substantial amount of unsprung weight? The car does seem a bit reluctant to change direction in the video, are you having to encourage the oversteer!?

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Just an hour of testing, cheap and local though, didn't wanna go all the way to Cadwell and have issues!

They would, about 1.5-2kg a wheel, but at a cost of about 50% of the build budget!

Oversteer is mostly encouraged yes, there's a bit much understeer at the moment if you don't upset the car.

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Haha, cheers guys. It looked like those 20ps might be critical at one point!

Spent a bit more time bolting bits of B&Q to the car this weekend, with the aim of reducing drag a touch, and tinkered with a few other things.

First up was a small front air dam type thing, made from more PVC extrusion. I doubt it would stand up to any sort of hit, but it's further from the ground than the one on the race car which never gets hit unless you 'do it wrong'. So Cadwell will probably be covered in bits of plastic by the end of Tuesday then, haha...

rm60.jpg

rm61.jpg

Here's the one on the race car, cost about £100 and is worth (datalogged) 0.25-0.3s down the back straight at Anglesey:

rm62.jpg

So I'm hoping this one, which cost nothing apart from some spray paint and a bit of gaffer tape to seal up the holes (I found the angle lying around in the warehouse), is worth about the same amount of time!

rm63.jpg

Then added some of the spare correx to try and get rid of the parachute effect the rear of the car tends to have. Tis remarkably stiff with the velcro straps holding it in place!

rm64.jpg

And more of B&Qs finest forming a small Gurney flap on the boot lid - again, it's surprising how well this seems to prevent the air from 'sticking' to the rear of the car and flowing down it:

rm65.jpg

Bits I didn't take photos of: Chopped the hangy downy bits off the ends of the rear chassis legs, took ages and was a right effort for 1.8kg saving. Also made some tow straps up from old bits of seat belt and bolted them on, then decided to try and assist with the poor gear selection and take a look at the engine mounts. Neither were totally dead but they seemed pretty flexy, so knocked one up in nylon (didn't have enough material for two, d'oh!) and rammed some anti vibration matting into the gaps on the other. The nylon one saved 800g so I'll definitely be doing both asap! The whole car vibrates like mad now but I'm not really bothered about that.

This afternoon I've spent a bit of time learning new datalogger software (recently switched from Race Technology to AIM), which has been really enjoyable and enlightening. The AIM software doesn't seem to have as powerful simulation functions, but the 'math channels' are awesome for writing you own functionality to allow 'at a glance' comparisons.

rmdata3sis.gif

An example of that is the VectorG channel there, which is sqrt((Lat_Acc^2)+(Lon_Acc^2)) and gives an instant impression of how much of the available grip you are using. One of the most astounding differences between the different tyres used on Thursday was in average VectorG for the whole lap - hovering around 0.72 for the road tyres, but immediately (even on the first flying lap!) it was up to 0.77 for the slicks, peaking at 0.80. No wonder the slicks were so much quicker.

To help explain the pic above... Top channel is speed, obviously red is slicks and green is road tyres. Then, at the point on the image where the vertical white line sits (just over half way through the lap), you can see in the very top left that the red trace was 8mph quicker, an amazing difference! On slicks I also spent 1.5s per lap less time on the brakes (middle left of the pic - 14.3 vs 15.8s) which equated to 82 feet less (not shown on this screen). This can be confirmed by the higher lateral g in every case - the car doesn't have to slow down as much.

I'm really impressed with the way the software can churn out these sorts of comparisons, should be extremely useful for driver training. Anyone who loves a bit of datalogging should consider one IMO, it's not just the data collection that is very easy but the software really pulls it all together.

Anyway, enough chat from me, I'll be back next week with stuff from Cadwell!

172cup
Awesome read, Looks like it might upset a lot of stuff on track.
What date are you at Cadwell? Saw you there a few weeks back in your westy and you was flying!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Cheers dude. At Cadwell tomorrow, unfortunately I've never been in the Westy but would love to one day!

Speaking of which... I lobbed together this video yesterday, and it was a fairly surprising result. Westy has over double the bhp and is over 200kg lighter, on 888s rather than slicks and the track not totally dry, but I didn't expect the Munter to be this quick in comparison... Awesome camber correction curves ftw!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
So, Cadwell yesterday:

borat-success.jpg

Whistle stop run-down: Up at 4am, got there just before 8. Sign on, noise test - 88dB, haha (more on that later). Very hot and very sunny, had a Cornetto and got sunburn! Plenty of car sharing (Munter had 3 different drivers and 5 different passengers) and laughs. Not many booked on, about 40, and a few cars broke, so was nice and quiet on track.

Did lots of laps, used ~65L of fuel (around 160 miles I reckon), but zero oil. Spent the morning on the Nankang road tyres trying in vain to wear them out, car felt a bit unresponsive and was generally a bit slower than I expected - slightly disappointing, but fun anyway.

rm66.jpg

Decided to fit slicks at lunch, noticed we had worn out a rear brake pad (just one) so changed it (just one). Probably means I need to check caliper sliders in the near future... As we were doing this one of the marshals / sound test guys came over and said he loved the car and how it was seemingly being driven on the limit all the time, also mentioned he was 'worried' it would be totally s**t given the low noise reading, haha. At least I can do quiet days at Croft with that exhaust!

rm67.jpg

Went to look at photos in the afternoon, scanned through over 400 and saw literally 4 or 5 of the Munter. I joked it wasn't particularly photogenic and asked if that was why everyone else seemingly had loads of pics but we didn't. The guy wasn't sure which car I meant, but referred to it as 'the one with the roll tower?'. I laughed and didn't spend £30.

The slicks completely transformed the car - suddenly it felt more responsive and alive. Obviously grippier too, to the tune of around 5s a lap, impressive for some 9 year old rubber! Managed to guess correct pressures for them first time and they ended sessions with a lovely texture, no blue tints and very slightly hotter on the front than the rear - perfect RWD car balance. The hotter front tyres indicate slight understeer tendencies, which is imperative for RWD - you need excess traction capacity in the corners else when you apply the throttle, else the rears can't cope with the extra work that is being required of them.

DIY aero stayed in place despite Dave taking a big trip across the grass, but the rear view mirror does not like the vibrations from the nylon engine mount and won't stay put any more! I also had to remove the flap from the passenger side of the windscreen. My wife was too small to see over it even with 2" of padding in the seat, haha. Need to find a workaround for next time as the buffeting in that side of the car was fairly significant, a lot of head-bobbing at high speed, and obviously creating drag! She didn't mind though :)

rm68.jpg

The million dollar question... is it quicker than my race car? Yes. I managed two clear laps without a passenger all day (no thanks to the mong in the turbocharged lime green MX5 who just would not let me past multiple times in multiple sessions, even though we were lapping over 10s slower while stuck behind hmm, grr) and both of those had mistakes, but ended up mid 1:45s. The fastest lap I can find in any Mk1 race car is a 1:45.4 (BRSCC, 2014) which will have been with a tow, and I think the fastest I've been round in my race car will be somewhere in the 1:48s, so I'm pretty chuffed! The car will definitely go a fair bit faster with a decent driver too, I'm crap at Cadwell.

All in all, a cracking day, car goes well, some things to fiddle with for next time, but fun to lap time to cost ratio is off the scale and I can't wait for the next one!

Swift Sport
That looks bloody quick mate, especially through the chicanes at the pit exit!

I've got Blyton in mine on Sunday with the MX5OC in my pretty much standard car. I'm hoping it won't handle like a bag of wet socks!

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Cheers, I think there's a lot more to come through Hall Bends too!

Ace, should be a cracking day :) They handle really well as standard, I take my daily on track every now and then and it's brilliant fun. See 1:24 onwards:

Swift Sport
I'm a member of the SDCC (the club who run Curborough) so I've done more laps of that place than I care to remember lol. I have taken the MX-5 round there many times too, and to be fair it seems to handle pretty well. I guess I never really consider Curborough a racetrack though!

Not sure if this works, but it's me larking about...

Last edited:
  Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
I thought you were! Yeah, guess it's not a full on track but you still have to wang the car around at the limit of grip, and the car takes it absolutely fine :)

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
More tinkering this week... From playing around with / researching into various things, it looks like the car has under 80bhp at the rear hubs. This is ~20bhp down on the race car, and explains the poor top end speed. I was really hoping the lack of screen would free things up a bit here, so the quest for more power on the cheap and without touching the engine mechanically began...!

I plan to make an exhaust in the near future so I will tackle that later, but for now first up was to investigate the manifold and downpipe. These are welded internally so it does produce a bit of a restriction, and doing the maths showed up to a 15% reduction in cross sectional area due to the welds! Of course this wouldn't translate into a power hike of the same amount, but every little helps as they say... This modification is also permitted in the race series, so as a test run before doing it on the race car it would be a useful experience.

Here's the downpipe at the manifold end, approx cross sectional area of 1385mm^2:

rm69.jpg

And after attacking with the die grinder, approx 1520mm^2, an increase of ~10%:

rm70.jpg

The head end of the manifold was a similar story, but with around 730mm^2 per header to start with (therefore double the area in total of the downpipe) I didn't go as extreme on these:

rm71.jpg

After:

rm72.jpg

(They did get neatened up a bit after the pic!)

So, while that lot was off I took the chance to weld in an extra lambda sensor boss in the downpipe and fit an AFR gauge. There's been a bit of a theory for a while that it's hard to N/A tune the 1.6 engine, but BLiNK have shown that you can make some pretty impressive gains just by tinkering with the Air Flow Meter (AFM) and timing - about 17% hub power over standard! http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112653

With the MX-5 using a very simple Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) which is 'on / off' rather than variable, combined with the AFM setup, you can get a reasonable idea of what's going on with the Air / Fuel Ratio (AFR) without having to do Wide Open Throttle (WOT) pulls.

As standard the AFR of the MX-5 seems to take a dive towards rich (more fuel, less air) at around 4000rpm, and can get as rich as 10:1 at the red line - I guess this is to keep things safe as standard and allow for wear on fuel pump, injectors etc. However, it makes best power at around 13.2-13.5:1, so we can tweak a few things to try and sort that out...

The standard modification is to change the timing from 10 degrees BTDC (before top dead centre) to 14 degrees, which does help perk up the car everywhere by making use of the higher RON fuel we have here compared with the 90 RON fuel in Japan when the car was built. The optimal timing advance seems to vary from car to car, somewhere between 12 and 16 degrees, but it's impossible to tell without a dyno so I've had to stick mine at 14.

From there, you play with the AFM. Note you do NEED a way of metering the AFR to play with stuff like this, or you can cause serious engine damage!

afm.jpg

This is the silver unit that sits on top of the air box, and has a door that flaps open against a light spring when air flows through it. More air flowing through = flap opens further = more fuel is put in. One of the standard modifications here is to tighten up the spring, so with the same amount of air going through as before the car puts less fuel in because the flap isn't open as far. This works to a point - BLiNK show gains of around 5bhp in the usable range for a track car - but obviously is then restricting the flow of air, not ideal.

Following some reading, I learned about a few other tweaks you could do to help fool the AFM into doing what you want it to: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=265452

The 3mm allen screw can be used to adjust the relative position of the wiper to the flapper and the whole board itself can be shifted around too via loosening the three phillips headed screws (the holes in the board aren't a perfect fit to the screw thread). A fourth adjustment is to rotate the whole AFM, so gravity takes over and either helps or prevents the flapper from opening up.

So, a bit of testing... First up was to get the car warm and run it through the revs with the standard setup. This gave an AFR of around 11.9-12:1 at 5-5.5k rpm. This was slightly different to the numbers on the graphs produced by BLiNK, but their AFRs are read from the tailpipe and that tends to give a reading of approx 0.5 points higher due to ambient air surrounding the gauge. The values I found weren't horrendous, but definitely some gains to be made.

Next up I swapped the AFM for one from another car I had, and rigged it up with a 'Frankintake' made from another MX-5 intake pipe and the airbox from a 1.8 16v K-Series.

rm73.jpg

This yielded a better AFR of around 12.6-12.7:1 under the same conditions - I'm not sure if this was down to the induction setup or the AFM, but the main thing I was going to use this contraption for was to test how rotating the whole lot affected AFR.

rm74.jpg

With the unit rotated so the door would fall open under gravity, AFR richened up by a whole point to 11.6:1, and going the other way it leaned out to 13.5:1 - interesting! Having the AFM in this orientation would also help to remove any effect caused by lateral g force - but it's not legal in our race series (we have to use the standard airbox in the standard location), so I didn't investigate this any further.

So, back to the standard airbox and the original AFM, I decided to try and get the flap opening further which would require a softer spring, but still lean out the top end - which would require tweaks to the wiper arm and shifting the board.

A bit of iteration ended up with the board shifted to the left as shown on the photo above, and the arm moved around clockwise - meaning with the flapper open further than before the wiper would still be less far around the track, and putting less fuel in = leaner running.

After some tweaking, I ended up with an AFR of 13.2:1 at 5k rpm, dropping to around 11.6:1 at the limiter. I decided this was safe enough not to go any further, plus at this point I had forgotten the car had no fan and the coolant started to boil, haha. I'll need to rig up the AFR gauge to my datalogger and get some proper logs, but for now it seems promising, should give at least 10% more bhp and I've learned a few bits in the process :smile: Just goes to show that there's no 'black art' to stuff like this, just a willingness to apply a little bit of thought and realise there is the potential to break stuff if you screw it up!