ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Nice, it’s even a bit less long than my 3070, although slightly thicker.

IMG_2275.jpeg

Cable management is for weirdos

IMG_2277.jpeg

Pretty chungus heatsink on it!

The bottom of the case is mesh and it’s raised off the floor so I’ve got a nice bottom to top airflow going on. Loving the small PC game.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
There's a reason I don't have a glass side panel on it. (y)

It worries me not a jot, it's not going anywhere and there's tons of airflow. Sure, I could tidy it up by trying to route it all underneath the motherboard tray but it's not a show pony. It's just an unobtrusive little PC with no RGB or anything which sits under my desk and plays five year old games on a brand new 4070.

Hmmmmm. I might want to look at some more modern games :LOL:

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
If you don't care about graphics and you love loading screens you could give Starfield a go.
Photo_2023-09-28-121908.png

Or if you want a game where every frame looks like a pre rendered piece of digital art, try Cyberpunk.
photomode_28092023_095747.png

One of these games was running at less than 20fps and the other was running at about 90. I'll let you guess which is which 🤣

F82 M4
There's a reason I don't have a glass side panel on it. (y)

It worries me not a jot, it's not going anywhere and there's tons of airflow. Sure, I could tidy it up by trying to route it all underneath the motherboard tray but it's not a show pony. It's just an unobtrusive little PC with no RGB or anything which sits under my desk and plays five year old games on a brand new 4070.

Haha fair enough mate :)

PC is great though! Enjoy :D

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Modded Skyrim looks and runs better, they should have just asked the modding community to make a sci-fi version for them.

I get the feeling the new game engine they are using for it isn't particularly new or revolutionary. It doesn't look particularly great for the next Elder Scrolls game.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think Starfield looks pretty decent considering the scope and ambition of the game. You aren't going to get Cyberpunk levels of fidelity on a game that is so open-ended, and Bethesda's evolved game engine hasn't benefitted from a ground-up re-engineering effort to deliver cutting-edge visuals. They can't just swap such a massive game to another engine either; it's too expensive and time-consuming. I think the game has delivered pretty well initially and will no doubt benefit from future patches and input from the modding community. It could do with some performance tweaks, and the UI is pretty dire, but it gets a thumbs up from me (including the visuals).

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I think Starfield looks pretty decent considering the scope and ambition of the game. You aren't going to get Cyberpunk levels of fidelity on a game that is so open-ended, and Bethesda's evolved game engine hasn't benefitted from a ground-up re-engineering effort to deliver cutting-edge visuals. They can't just swap such a massive game to another engine either; it's too expensive and time-consuming. I think the game has delivered pretty well initially and will no doubt benefit from future patches and input from the modding community. It could do with some performance tweaks, and the UI is pretty dire, but it gets a thumbs up from me (including the visuals).
I would agree with you if it wasn't filled with loading screens. I could even look past the fact you can't even take off or land on a planet, if every elevator or entrance to buildings didn't trigger a loading screen. Their engine is ancient and really needs to be taken out back and shot. Relying on the modding community to try and make their game playable is such a bizarre way to make games. Sure, support mods in your game if you want, but at least release a half decent game first 😂

And let's not get started on the classic Bethesda "features" that have somehow stuck around since Oblivion.

Weirdly it actually looks better during gameplay than it does in screenshots, it's just a shame it runs like s**t and is the exact opposite of an open world experience.

Can't say enough good things about Cyberpunk though, it's the most "next-gen" looking game I've ever played. It's an absolute game changer imo, just a shame it released with so many bugs because visually it's incredible, and runs incredibly well.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yes Cyberpunk looks great, but before that RDR2 also looked fantastic, and that did it on much older technology.
Both are large open-world games, totally separate engine, developer and everything.

Graphics aren't the be all and end all, but IMO the bar has been set by existing titles, and if you're going to release a AAA game, charging premium money, this is what people expect.

If Rockstar can do this, on an out of date console, 5 years ago, I don't wanna hear Bethesda say they can't do better.

rdr2-3.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Anyone wondering why your graphics card is still so expensive, maybe the French will have an answer for you soon, considering they raided Nvidia last week.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Weirdly it actually looks better during gameplay than it does in screenshots, it's just a shame it runs like s**t and is the exact opposite of an open world experience.

Oh yeah, I forgot how well Cyberpunk ran out of the box within a week or two of its launch. So well, in fact, that Sony even decided to pull it from retail as it was so good... :ROFLMAO: (I'm not hating on Cyberpunk, I absolutely love the game and its tech).

I get you're not a fan of Starfield. We'll have to agree to disagree; I do think they've released a half-decent game. The loading screens are annoying, yeah, but a few seconds every now and then isn't the end of the world. Cyberpunk wouldn't be half as good scaled up in magnitude to a universe the size of Starfield's.

Yes Cyberpunk looks great, but before that RDR2 also looked fantastic, and that did it on much older technology.
Both are large open-world games, totally separate engine, developer and everything.

Graphics aren't the be all and end all, but IMO the bar has been set by existing titles, and if you're going to release a AAA game, charging premium money, this is what people expect.

If Rockstar can do this, on an out of date console, 5 years ago, I don't wanna hear Bethesda say they can't do better.

View attachment 1663547

The RAGE engine isn't much older tech, has benefitted from a lot more internal investment, and a much higher developer count, and wasn't thrown together from inherited bits of tech that they were forced to use almost 15/20 years ago. The RAGE engine has always been in a much better place and is a great engine. Bethesda, despite the buyout and backings, etc. haven't had the time or free rein to properly re-engineer their Creation Engine to the level they had hoped (in my opinion) and that's why they are kind of locked into what they have. In an ideal world, Bethesda would be given 5-6 years time out to rework the engine or to look to move to another engine entirely... but that's simply not going to happen these days.

Yes, I see Starfield as a Triple-A/premium title and has been priced as such. I think that's another area where we probably disagree. I don't think it's priced badly at all. Considering I'm going to be getting a hundred hours plus EASILY out of this game it's not exactly expensive. I have a good idea of what goes into a game and the costs and, although it's not going to be a popular opinion, I think the cost of games and game subscriptions is an absolute bargain these days to be honest.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Oh yeah, I forgot how well Cyberpunk ran out of the box within a week or two of its launch. So well, in fact, that Sony even decided to pull it from retail as it was so good... :ROFLMAO: (I'm not hating on Cyberpunk, I absolutely love the game and its tech).
Haha you're right, maybe we're the idiots for expecting games to actually work these days 😂

I don't actually mind Starfield, it's just disappointing to see how bad the performance is compared to the visual fidelity that's delivered. I can understand why a game like Star Citizen runs poorly because it's extremely detailed and the environments are vast, but that game has its own issues and will probably never be finished.

Starfield looks "fine", but if I'm going to be stuck playing at 30fps I want it to look like the f**king Sistine Chapel, not Fallout 4 with some mods

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Haha you're right, maybe we're the idiots for expecting games to actually work these days 😂

Even less chance of that, mate... :ROFLMAO: Games are so complex these days that there will always be niggles. Admittedly, some games should not be released in the state they are though... but that is largely dictated by publishers and deadlines/bean collectors. Honestly, the developers hate having to release a substandard product. Every single game I've worked on was rushed through to release and that goes back to my first in the 1990s. And it's why I get annoyed when the developers get blamed as 95% of the time it is out of their hands and why my perspective is, perhaps, a bit different to those of the gamer. As much as I love gaming, I will always be coming at it from the game developer side of things than as the game player!

Starfield looks "fine", but if I'm going to be stuck playing at 30fps I want it to look like the f**king Sistine Chapel, not Fallout 4 with some mods

LMFAO! :ROFLMAO: Slideshow Simulator 2023 is what you want. It doubles-up as a screensaver so absolutely worth the £59.99 asking price... :ROFLMAO:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
A bit of a long shot... but is anybody interested in my old nVidia RTX 3090 GPU? It's an ASUS ROG STRIX OC Edition. Looking for £850 including P&P within the mainland UK. It's only seen light gaming duties and still has a warranty until mid-August 2024. Obviously meticulously looked after and cleaned regularly.

fs_20231003_162857.jpg

It's a big card and requires a fair bit of space and a decent PSU to power it (3x PCI-E 8-pin connectors). Let me know if you are interested, or know someone who is. (y)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
A bit of a long shot... but is anybody interested in my old nVidia RTX 3090 GPU? It's an ASUS ROG STRIX OC Edition. Looking for £850 including P&P within the mainland UK. It's only seen light gaming duties and still has a warranty until mid-August 2024. Obviously meticulously looked after and cleaned regularly.

View attachment 1664087

It's a big card and requires a fair bit of space and a decent PSU to power it (3x PCI-E 8-pin connectors). Let me know if you are interested, or know someone who is. (y)
In my view, still the nicest looking GPU out there.

F82 M4

View attachment 1664087

I paid £1500 for my 3080 Ti from Scan. Mental how prices go, these were £2k then!

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah, prices were crazy. I paid £2699.99 for the 3090... 😢
I remember hammering the refresh button when the 3080 launched and watched it instantly be out of stock without even having the chance to add one to basket, then I saw the price the partner cards were in retailers when they came out and decided I didn't need a new GPU after all. It's only recently I've been considering upgrading again. Those were crazy times!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I remember hammering the refresh button when the 3080 launched and watched it instantly be out of stock without even having the chance to add one to basket, then I saw the price the partner cards were in retailers when they came out and decided I didn't need a new GPU after all. It's only recently I've been considering upgrading again. Those were crazy times!

I had two 3090s pre-ordered and ready to buy on release day and Lloyds Bank froze my card payment as I was going through the checkout! I couldn't immediately verify with my bank as I was contracting away at the time and I lost my two pre-order cards... hence I then had to wait months for stock and ultimately had to pay the stupid price to get one. Damn you Covid, miners, etc. :ROFLMAO:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Just in case anyone is interested, my 3090 is up for sale in the relevant forum section:

Siblings.

20231003_140601.jpg

Over £4.5k just in these two GPUs. Honestly, it's ridiculous. And yet we still continue to buy them. I'm lucky that I can use them for work and they make the money back, but it still boggles the mind and it still hurts clicking the "buy" button. o_O

I'm also looking to upgrade the other major components of my system, too - CPU, mobo, RAM. Cars and PCs... what a combination. :ROFLMAO:

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Just in case anyone is interested, my 3090 is up for sale in the relevant forum section:

Siblings.

View attachment 1664248

Over £4.5k just in these two GPUs. Honestly, it's ridiculous. And yet we still continue to buy them. I'm lucky that I can use them for work and they make the money back, but it still boggles the mind and it still hurts clicking the "buy" button. o_O

I'm also looking to upgrade the other major components of my system, too - CPU, mobo, RAM. Cars and PCs... what a combination. :ROFLMAO:
They definitely went the wrong way (design/looks wise) on the 4000 lineup. I actually think the TUF looks better than the STRIX this time around.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Got a weird issue with my new to me 3070 and hopefully someone can help. I have set the fan curve using MSI afterburner, but when gaming the fans seem to ignore it. If you look at the image below it shows the fans ramping up and down in game, but the fan speed in the same graph is showing 75%. I booted into safe mode and removed the drivers completely and reinstalled, but something doesn't seem right.

1696847462884.png

1696847560989.png

Last edited:

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
This is what I use to control all of my fans.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Got a weird issue with my new to me 3070 and hopefully someone can help. I have set the fan curve using MSI afterburner, but when gaming the fans seem to ignore it. If you look at the image below it shows the fans ramping up and down in game, but the fan speed in the same graph is showing 75%. I booted into safe mode and removed the drivers completely and reinstalled, but something doesn't seem right.

View attachment 1664436
View attachment 1664437
Have you tried updating or reinstalling Afterburner?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure its the fan control to be honest, I'm thinking there could be an issue with the card. When running cyberpunk for example I'm sitting around 80-85 degrees which seems pretty hot to me, but people seem to think that's normal. Not sure if the temp sensor is maybe dodgy or maybe it needs fresh thermal paste. It has a switch for two bios (silent and OC) they don't seem to make a difference either. I have already switched three of my fans around to be intake instead of exhaust, maybe i need to move one directly below the GPU.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
What model 3070 is it because my 3070Ti has never got even close to 80°C.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB. I have uninstalled Afterburner, set the fan speed to 85% fixed with Fan Control. Fired up a game and when it gets into the mid 80s the fans start ramping again :(

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Gigabyte Gaming OC 8GB. I have uninstalled Afterburner, set the fan speed to 85% fixed with Fan Control. Fired up a game and when it gets into the mid 80s the fans start ramping again :(
Probably a silly question, but have you checked the fans are physically spinning. You mentioned only 2 of the fans are reporting their speed, is the third one spinning and not reporting, or is it just sat doing nothing?