ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I am definitely looking to get the 1080 but thanks for the offer.

Though I may wait until after CES before pulling the trigger to see what new stuff comes up.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Do we expect Kaby Lake news at CES? Also, the 1080Ti released early next year will be the reference item won't it? When can we expect the other guys (EVGA, MSN and the likes) to release their versions?

I've ordered my case and cooling setup for the CPU. Cooler was:
Corsair CW-9060025-WW Hydro Series H100i V2 240 mm Extreme Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler - Black
and case:
Corsair CC-9011083-WW Carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA Windowed Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Computer Case - White/Red

Once this stuff arrives it'll be power supply then some more cooling fans. Then it'll be wait and see what comes at CES before I can select motherboard, GPU, CPU and RAM.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Do we expect Kaby Lake news at CES? Also, the 1080Ti released early next year will be the reference item won't it? When can we expect the other guys (EVGA, MSN and the likes) to release their versions?
I'd have thought at pretty much the same time, no? Same as the 1080, I'd have thought they'll be given some pre release boards to base their designs on.

Evo 5 RS

I've ordered my case and cooling setup for the CPU. Cooler was:
Corsair CW-9060025-WW Hydro Series H100i V2 240 mm Extreme Performance All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler - Black
and case:
Corsair CC-9011083-WW Carbide Series SPEC-ALPHA Windowed Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Computer Case - White/Red

Once this stuff arrives it'll be power supply then some more cooling fans. Then it'll be wait and see what comes at CES before I can select motherboard, GPU, CPU and RAM.

Kaby is ready to go in Jan, there's some really nice boards coming. Can't say too much, though

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Excellent. I'll hold off buying the big ticket items (CPU, GPU and motherboard at the mo then).

Will Kaby Lake see the need for new motherboards or will existing ones still work with the new CPUs?

Evo 5 RS
Excellent. I'll hold off buying the big ticket items (CPU, GPU and motherboard at the mo then).

Will Kaby Lake see the need for new motherboards or will existing ones still work with the new CPUs?
Will drop in any existing Z170 board mate, providing it's on the right firmware

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So I ordered my case and CPU Cooler last night around 2300. It's now delivered. That's awesome as it was saying delivery after Christmas.

Case will be a wee bit longer though.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So I had to cancel my case order as with it being ATX form factor and limiting which motherboards I could go for.

So I've now changed my case to a Corsair 540 white cube thing and ordered an Asus Maximus 8 Extreme. Probably overkill for me but will do me a good good number of years to come.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I made sure it was one of the models which had a BIOS update allowing it to work with Kaby Lake next year.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
What's people's opinions on buy 2nd hand components? Don't wanna fork out full whack for a Sky lake i7 when Kaby Lake is on the horizon.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I was thinking alongoing those lines as well. Could potentially buy a CPU that's been over clocked to within an inch of its life and last 5 mins once fitted.

Today has been an expensive day. Bought CPU, RAM (16Gb for now) and HDD (M.2 SSD). All I need is the power supply and I can get building.

Evo 5 RS
Didn't want to hold out for Kaby? There's some cracking boards coming, too. Depends on your budget though like with everything in life

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I don't want to potentially have to wait a couple of months until the new boards and processors are freely available. The board I chose has had updates to include compatibility with Kaby. So I'll run the MB for a good year anyway, and maybe jump on the Kaby train in the summer if I can justify the price. I'm gonna run of the Intel graphics from the MB until 1080Ti is freely available also.

Case arrived today so fitted the only other component I currently have which was my CPU cooler radiator and fans. Processor, RAM and motherboard are to be delivered tomorrow so I'll get those fitted then.

I've reserved the power supply and M.2 storage for collection on Friday so I should, all being well, have a running PC at the weekend. Will have to borrow some bits from work wired keyboard, mouse and monitor (VGA only in work still so will need display port to VGA adapter) to get everything setup. Once setup I'll use our 32" bedroom TV until I source a monitor.

Not yet decided on which monitor I should go for. Realistically 4K @ anything above 60FPS is financially out of reach (I can't afford to SLI to Titan Xs) so a 4K monitor is probably overkill.

So looking for something in the 2560 x 1440 range however there is far too much choice to chose from. So if anyone would like to suggest a very good (But not out of this world expensive) 27" monitor that'll fit the bill then go for it.

:smile:

I should get £600 easily (£500 if I remove the 2nd SSD) from the sale of my 27" iMac (2011, i7) so that'll be around my budget for a monitor. I may be allowed to up that a tiny bit.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
So my PC is built which is good however I'm struggling to create a Windows boot disk on my Mac.

So with pressing F11 on start up I've tried a couple of different USB drives I have (Including the Cliosport one) but every time I get the same insert boot thingy, restart and try again. Think all my USB drives are USB 2 though and I've read a few comments online about needing USB 3.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
One of my case fans has a nice chirp sound to it and Amazon want me to send the whole case back instead of sending me a new fan or send me a replacement case and I would swap the fans and send that case back with the faulty fan.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
We are up and running at last. So I managed to get the PC booted with windows using the Windows 10 USB flash from Maplins. So obviously my iMac and it's ability to make a boot able Windows drive was the source of my issue.

Big relief tbh.

F82 M4
We are up and running at last. So I managed to get the PC booted with windows using the Windows 10 USB flash from Maplins. So obviously my iMac and it's ability to make a boot able Windows drive was the source of my issue.

Big relief tbh.
The fact you even own an iMac is the issue :D

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Lol. Have removed my 1TB SSD from the iMac and put the OEM HDD back in. So I've now re-appropriated the SSD to my new PC build. My older brother had a 5 year old laptop which is buggered so I've re-appropriated that HDD into the new PC also. Some free storage is always a bonus.

The iMac is sold to one of the guys in work so I'll be able to use those funds to buy myself a nice monitor.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on what you are after and what your budget is. I'm running 2 LG 23" IPS panels either side of my 24" benq 144hz panel (for FPS games as that's all I play really) and a 40" TV above them all thats on a pivoting arm so I can move it flush to the wall above my PC for when I'm on that and want to stick a twitch stream or YouTube video on of flush to the wall infront of my couch to watch sky as I've got that hooked up to it too.

479b92edc159b3f9dd9aea5f59b3f3d7.jpg

I'm not running a rig capable of 4K and I've not yet made the jump to 1440p either so there was no point going that route.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
What about speakers? I'm after a decent set of 2.1 speakers and don't like the look of the Corsair SP2500, the sub looks massive as well! Looking for something a bit more discreet.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
One of my case fans has a nice chirp sound to it and Amazon want me to send the whole case back instead of sending me a new fan or send me a replacement case and I would swap the fans and send that case back with the faulty fan.

The Corsair fans that come in that case are cheap and nasty. I replaced them all with Noctua fans and it's very quiet. Lovely noise of wind rather than high pitched fan noise when they get going too.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
The Corsair fans that come in that case are cheap and nasty. I replaced them all with Noctua fans and it's very quiet. Lovely noise of wind rather than high pitched fan noise when they get going too.

I've ordered replacement fans. Went with Corsair performance once that get good reviews. I've went for 3 x 120mm fans that are going to replace the 2 x 140mm front fans that came with the case. Customisable lighting also if thats your thing.

After some deliberation we decided to go for the Acer Predator XB27HU. Its not 4k but apparently 2560 x 1440 is the sweet spot for 27" monitors and a nice 144Hz refresh rate should keep things snappy. Should be here by Tuesday.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I've ordered replacement fans. Went with Corsair performance once that get good reviews. I've went for 3 x 120mm fans that are going to replace the 2 x 140mm front fans that came with the case. Customisable lighting also if thats your thing.

After some deliberation we decided to go for the Acer Predator XB27HU. Its not 4k but apparently 2560 x 1440 is the sweet spot for 27" monitors and a nice 144Hz refresh rate should keep things snappy. Should be here by Tuesday.

Not to scare you but I bought the LED Corsair fans. The quality is piss poor and they're just sat in a box somewhere now.

Honestly maybe I've just had dodgy parts but Corsair are not a brand I'd willingly purchase (to the point that I imported a mechanical keyboard from USA to avoid buying a Corsair keyboard).

I'd return them, get decent fans (again, Noctua are brilliant) and just get an LED strip for the colour you want.

QHD is a decent step up from FHD. It's not UHD but the 144hz refresh rate is worth any compromise on resolution IMO.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
so my new monitor arrived today. Screen is lovely but for 1 dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. trying to get an exchange with Amazon right now and they are making it difficult.

F82 M4
so my new monitor arrived today. Screen is lovely but for 1 dead pixel right in the middle of the screen. trying to get an exchange with Amazon right now and they are making it difficult.

That's why I opted for my ROG. With Overclockers they were selling it with a dead pixel warranty so even the slightest flaw they were replacing it. Took me 3 to get the perfect one and touch wood I've never had any problems. Owned it since release and I'm still glad I bought when I did as they are creeping back up in price with Brexit!

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
It was easy to retrun it but I wanted it replaced. Managed to get them to agree and once they receive my dead pixel monitor they'll send me a new one.

I haven't read reviews on any of these monitors (ROG, Acer etc) that don't have quality control issues with light bleed and dead pixels.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Picked up an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming today on the cheap. Was going to hold off until the 1080Ti was available but as the monitor I wanted had G-Sync I kinda had to jump sooner than I'd planned. I had looked at going for the minimum GPU that would run G-Sync but the price of the 1070 was one that I couldn't say no to.

On top of that I picked up my new Razer keyboard (Chicklet style for the wife) which I really like. Also got a Corsair gaming mouse of some sort which is awesome and my new case fans will be here tomorrow. 5 x 120mm fans (3 front intake, 2 radiator) + 1 x 140mm (Rear exhaust). Mouse pad is on order (Thought it would of been here tomorrow but apparently not dispatched) and once I get my replacement monitor my setup will be complete for the time being.

Kaby lake numbers are fairly positive over Skylake however not enough for me to take advantage at this stage.