ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure it'll be as big a delay as you think. I'm guessing Nexus get it first then everyone else waits?

Only the S5 and Z3 are resistant to water/dust? G3 and M8 isn't, iPhone isn't?

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-Review_id3812
http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-4-vs-Apple-iPhone-6-Plus_id3815

Samsung aren't particularly quick (albeit not the worst either!).
Nexus will have to first then once Samsung has finished developing it then they can roll it out. Which is obviously not as quick as the stock version.

Yep those phones are which seems odd to me that Samsung were unable to develop this into the Note as this should be the all bells and whistles device compared to the S5. I'm sure they had their reasons...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
With that said it has top specs. 805 SOC and 3gb Ram. 16mp Camera with 4k and OIS and flagship everything else. The best screen found on any smartphone to date, no one has argues with that.

You can only update to what you have 4.4.4 included. Did you want them to hold off until November December and release with L?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
With that said it has top specs. 805 SOC and 3gb Ram. 16mp Camera with 4k and OIS and flagship everything else. The best screen found on any smartphone to date, no one has argues with that.

You can only update to what you have 4.4.4 included. Did you want them to hold off until November December and release with L?

And I'm less than convinced that side by side to the Note 3 you would even notice most of that? I do like Samsung displays though!

Although it has impressive hardware it is stuck with touchwiz which is a shame. I used to like Touchwiz and would always defend it but since switching I understand the majority of the gripes. The Nexus 6 will have slightly weaker cpu and similar ram and I put money on the fact it will feel the snappier device.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Well managed to get a play with a Note 4 locally by chance. First up, what a screen, even with it set at 70% it's by far the best i've ever seen.

Now please bare in mind, i'm using an iPhone5. It's in mint condition but it does fault and freeze now and again, and i've never owned an android phone of any kind but it was rapid. Tried to trip it up a few times to no avail. No doubt it's slower by milliseconds than some other phones but benchmarks across the board show it is currently the flagship of flagships performance wise (maybe not real world).

The guy in the shop was really knowledgable and show me some cool things along with the camera performance and a few cool voice things (probably not new). Majorly impressed.

The thing looks premium and superb in White, just now sure White is the greatest idea for me with fingers on the back? The guy said he's opting for the black on release.

7fd23f3e6673f4c91f4931c9e80acd39.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Flol. It's horrible. Only comes in blue and white and is bigger slightly in every way than a 6+

Yet I'm still debating one due to not wanting to keep the 4 for another year

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Google Play Edition.

Basically stock Android. I've been having a look at the Moto X and I'm currently hovering over the buy button. 32GB makes it £459.99 and their version of Android is near as damn it standard, AND they've promised that when 5.0 L is properly released you'll get the update ASAP. Torn between black with dark grey trim or black with silver. Silver does look quite fresh. (just the speaker grills and the border of the M logo)

Dark Grey:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 20.01.40.png

Silver:

Screen Shot 2014-10-15 at 20.01.56.png

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Why did Nexus make the 5 then use Moto as a basis for the 6?

Seems weird to me. It's not even a pretty Nexus!

How much different can all these operating systems be once L is released!!!!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Why did Nexus make the 5 then use Moto as a basis for the 6?

Seems weird to me. It's not even a pretty Nexus!

How much different can all these operating systems be once L is released!!!!

No, the 5 was an LG G2 base and was made by LG. They basically take the flagship phone from their chosen supplier and up the specs.

And they can do as they please with the interface of L. They can have it look identical to 4.4 if they so desire. That's the benefit of a completely open OS.

You have much to learn young padawan.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate. Love some of the knowledge in here! :eek:

Never took an interest back in the G2 days.

Shame they never used G3 with the size also. Even the moto x looks better than the 6. Seems ungainly. Guessing most Nexus users aren't as big on aesthetics?

One thing I must say. Of all the big reviews i've read on the Note 4 the comments section is most interesting. The TW hate from the purists even realise just how good this Note is, they just couldn't use TW. I think that says a lot for Samsung going forward.

You never know, the L release may shake things up at Samsung... I won't hold my breath.

2014 Focus Titanium
Nice one Gally, glad you're happy in the Android camp! I'm so tempted to go for a Oneplus One now the 6 has disappointed me.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at the Moto X like others?

I'm still shocked how much Google have dropped the ball with this. What focus group did they listen to!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't think that Google have dropped a ball with the 6.
One of the key things with Lollipop is the ability to switch between work and personal settings and for companies to monitor the work aspects. A lot of people have phones and tablets for work. This feature will negate the need for two devices.
Also, the price rise, it is a bit steeper than I was expecting but it's still a lot cheaper than an iPhone 6.

The specs are pretty awesome too, and apart from the camera, it leads in tests/comparisons against the note 4 and iPhone 6 from what I've read.

People will get used to the size after playing with it. It's only 0.2 of an inch bigger than the note isn't it? 5.7v5.9?

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on ratio and bezels etc. the iphone6+ is bigger than a note4 but screen is .2 smaller.

Maybe they haven't dropped the ball. Nexus 5 owners across a few forums and websites feel they have. Here included.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh, it's not something that I'll be getting as I still have a year on my contract with my Nexus 5. I'm more interested in lollypop, which I think will be a massive step up from kitkat.
It still looks a very, very impressive phone, and running vanilla, should be the leading flagship phone out there.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I really don't think that Google have dropped a ball with the 6.
One of the key things with Lollipop is the ability to switch between work and personal settings and for companies to monitor the work aspects. A lot of people have phones and tablets for work. This feature will negate the need for two devices.
Also, the price rise, it is a bit steeper than I was expecting but it's still a lot cheaper than an iPhone 6.

The specs are pretty awesome too, and apart from the camera, it leads in tests/comparisons against the note 4 and iPhone 6 from what I've read.

People will get used to the size after playing with it. It's only 0.2 of an inch bigger than the note isn't it? 5.7v5.9?

Android hasn't ever really been the choice OS for a working environment so whilst I can see what you are saying I disagree.

5.0 is going to be brilliant, there is no doubt about that, just the 6 is too big. It's that simple.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I want it noooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww
I thought they stopped making the 5? Why has it appeared on the store again...

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I want it noooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww
I thought they stopped making the 5? Why has it appeared on the store again...
You're not serious are you?

And yeah they're keeping the 5. It would have made far more sense to get rid of it and replace it with the moto x and do a GPE. It'd have been very similar to the 6 and 6+ then in that respect.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Android hasn't ever really been the choice OS for a working environment so whilst I can see what you are saying I disagree.

5.0 is going to be brilliant, there is no doubt about that, just the 6 is too big. It's that simple.

I think they are trying to get into that market though. I don't know what OS companies use as I don't work in that environment.
I really can't see the size being a big issue, especially for those comparing it to the 6+ or Note 4. There is very little in it.
If you want a smaller phone then none of the above are options.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I think they are trying to get into that market though. I don't know what OS companies use as I don't work in that environment.
I really can't see the size being a big issue, especially for those comparing it to the 6+ or Note 4. There is very little in it.
If you want a smaller phone then none of the above are options.

Agreed but historically nexus users have enjoyed small phones. That's why they didn't go and get something else that was bigger. If they had wanted a bigger phone there was already plenty to choose from.

It probably would, but can you imagine the Apple hate when doing that?

Yeah. Would have been so amusing though. FYI I'm still trying to not buy the Moto X and I have no desire to own a 6... What is wrong with me LOL.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
You're not serious are you?

And yeah they're keeping the 5. It would have made far more sense to get rid of it and replace it with the moto x and do a GPE. It'd have been very similar to the 6 and 6+ then in that respect.
I've had my S3 for over 2 years, I need a new phone :p

Tbh, get the phone you want, then flash a stock rom over.

I know there's a fear over flashing, but it really is straight forward. Once you've done that, you have the phone you want with the OS you want, what more could you want? :D

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
There are indeed plenty to choose from but they are not pure Android which I think is the big draw to the Nexus brand.
I couldn't be arsed to buy a phone then flash it to remove the bloatware etc just to run Vanilla.