ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Megane weekend detail

As the Exige was picked up today, all my love is now devoted to the Meg ;)

I wanted to give it a proper decon treatment, as there's loads of tiny back spots everywhere, and the paintwork is relatively rough too (nothing major at all!)

After a wash, it was out with the Iron-X everywhere.

DSCF0406web_zpsb30787d3.jpg

DSCF0411web_zps1710d768.jpg

DSCF0412web_zps645f5021.jpg

The bonnet actually looked pretty good initially, until I saw all the purple!

DSCF0413web_zps302a91be.jpg

That's it for now, as I spent all day cleaning out the garage. Starting again tomorrow morning with some claying to hopefully remove the last of the spots, then SRP (until I order some AF Tripple), then Zaino Z5.

Wheels will hopefully come off too for a full clean and seal.

More to come.....

I might do actually now I think about it. I don't have to finish it tomorrow as the car will probably stay in the garage all week, so I can do some more in the evenings if I don't finish tomorrow for whatever reason.

Does anyone know what the paintwork on these is like to machine polish? Hard/soft?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Try and use a tar remover before claying, will make it much easier and pull out a lot more dirt than you'd think is on there. If you dont have one, autoglym intensive tar remover will suffice although there are better out there

Man I'm broken. All day at it today. My back is ruined!

First up was claying, didn't take any photos of that as it isn't the most exciting. Certainly removed most of the remaining black spots etc, and paint felt much smoother after too.

Next up was a full clean for the wheels.

Starting out with general Bilberry clean:

DSCF0416web_zpse1536032.jpg

Not in too bad a state initially:
DSCF0419web_zpsdce9b83a.jpg

Then holy Iron-X!!

DSCF0422web_zps5955ff01.jpg

Nice and clean ready for drying...

DSCF0424web_zps76792f2d.jpg

Then a coat of Gtechniq C5 wheel armour.

DSCF0423web_zps2fb4f5bc.jpg

Then it was on to machine polishing. The car was in a pretty good state already, with just a load of really minor marks, with the occasional deeper marks.

DSCF0431web_zps3f357603.jpg

DSCF0435web_zps2f8fdf21.jpg

Here's the only after shot I did, you can still see one deeper mark and a couple of other little ones which I struggled to get out, without the rear of going too deep. I'm not really after 100% correction, as I'm not talented enough for that, jus to get the major stuff off.

DSCF0434web_zps0bddd0da.jpg

Tomorrow evening, I have the last side and roof to finish off. Then some Zaino Z5.....then I'm done!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You had much driving time in the Meg Dan? Any thoughts on it so far?

I've probably done a couple of hundred miles.
Really like it, granted it feels big and not quite as nimble in the bends, but coming from an Exige....what wouldn't!

It's mapped to 277bhp 330lbft, so still has some go in it. It doesn't 'feel' as quick as it is, but I guess that's because it is much more civilised than the Exige, which is pretty loud in the cabin at full chat.

I hated the gear change in the Meg though. VERY light, and stupidly long. Again, as I'm used to the Exige, anything would feel worse. But the Megane is horrid. Period.
Jay fitted a short shifter for me which really helped. Slightly heavier and much shorter.

Otherwise great car. Looking forward to getting it on track to see what it can really do. No doubt another pissing wet day at Llandow!

Well it took a lot longer than I was anticipating, but as I havent needed to use the car, I've just kept doing more things in the evenings after work....finishing it off today.

In total:

Washed
Clayed
Machine polished - Menzerna Intensive polish and power gloss on Menzerna polishing pad
AF Tough Prep
Zaino Z2 - three coats

Trim done with GTechniq C4 trim restorer

Interior done with Poorboys Natural Look dressing

Interior glass cleaned with AF Crystal

GTechniq G1 on the windscreen

I think that's about everything!!

I havent got it out of the garage yet as the weather is crap and I can't bear to get in dirty after all that work! ;) So just some shots as is....

DSCF0439web_zpsf5f65d47.jpg

The best reflection shot I could get, white really isn't the best for this I'm learning!

DSCF0440web_zps56a0f491.jpg

DSCF0441web_zpse3c548c0.jpg

DSCF0442web_zpsb05fd60a.jpg

DSCF0443web_zps7f2ed846.jpg

DSCF0445web_zpsda638048.jpg

DSCF0446web_zpsf032b09e.jpg

DSCF0448web_zps2acbdb56.jpg

I wish the weather was able to do it justice though :( Oh well....I'll do a top up detail soon enough I guess.

You have no idea!!
I still can't over how freaking big the doors are on these things. But at least that means easy getting in and out, which is a nice change after the past two cars.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Oh my. I love it, I want it.

Stunning work Dan, you should be mega proud of that effort.

Just so you know to get the best out of light colours from a pro pov it involves burnishing/jeweling. It's for the more serious detailing though.

Ceramic sealant is maybe something to look at for the future or a couple layers of Amigo/Ez creme via machine before Z2. Summer detail.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Stunning that, love them!

Need to do mine, my GW 197 is covered in tar, I've booked a few days off next week hoping to do a full decontamination, but as I have no garage and looking outside, it looks a none starter :(

How do you rate this C4 trim restorer? I gather its like a semi permanent dressing? Really need to do the grille and the 197's have trims up the windscreen that fade to f**k and need constant dressing!

Stunning that, love them!

Need to do mine, my GW 197 is covered in tar, I've booked a few days off next week hoping to do a full decontamination, but as I have no garage and looking outside, it looks a none starter :(

How do you rate this C4 trim restorer? I gather its like a semi permanent dressing? Really need to do the grille and the 197's have trims up the windscreen that fade to f**k and need constant dressing!

I'm still very new to C4, so havent had it long enough to see what it's like. After applying though, the trim does look fantastic and new!

That looks great! Get some more pics/project thread up?

It's not really worth it really. I'm not going to fiddle about with this one. A short shifter and new speakers have been fitted, not really worth a new thread ;)

And I doubt much else will change really.

Try and use a tar remover before claying, will make it much easier and pull out a lot more dirt than you'd think is on there.

This is very good advise, one thing to add, make sure you re wash the areas you use the tar remover on thoroughly after use before claying, other wise the tar remover will melt your clay ;)

To add to the claying adviCe, put clean, old towels around the bottom of the car where you're claying. The bar can become slippy with clay lube, so if you drop it, you don't need to throw it away with this precaution.

Inferno 225 cup
To add to the claying adviCe, put clean, old towels around the bottom of the car where you're claying. The bar can become slippy with clay lube, so if you drop it, you don't need to throw it away with this precaution.

Great advice!!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Looks like a great example.

But less cleaning, more driving. I prefer shots of it covered in road grime ha.