ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The magic button

IS PH2 172
Ive had my 172 for a few months now and have gradually been building up my confidence behind the wheel. Needless to say im enjoying this car far more than any other car ive driven to date the abuse it will take is just beyond reason! I thought it was about as fun as it get untill this weekend, when i pressed what im calling the magic button, labeled ESP. My god the difference is unbeleivable! So much fun to be had on the lanes round where i live. Has anyone else had a play around with this? Whats the general feeling.... on or off?!

On. It's psychological.

It takes loads for it to kick in imo. I dont think you can safely push it enough on the roads.

Revs more freely without it though.

IS PH2 172
100% agree with it reving more freely with it off, seems to have the same impact as turning off the A/C... just something different, although it may only be minimal, very much a noticable difference when having a little dig down the back lanes

It does appear to limit the throttle opening slightly in low gears with lots of steering angle. Without flashing.

182 Trophy (#27/500)
I think it makes a huge difference too, plus im sure i can pull away faster with it off, not to mention the pick up is massively improved out of bends, even when the light isnt flashing. only really turn it off on track tho tbh!!

Lionel Richie
off its crap, and dangerous

you c**k and inside rear wheel with it on, its s***s itself and trys to throw you off the road

Golf GT & A4 Avant
if I'm going to be giving it stick in the bends, I always switch it of f 1st.

My girlfriend doesn't know what the button does yet, but when she sees me press it coming up towards a nice set of bends or stretch of road she knows to push herself back into the seat and hold on

182 FF
if I'm going to be giving it stick in the bends, I always switch it of f 1st.

My girlfriend doesn't know what the button does yet, but when she sees me press it coming up towards a nice set of bends or stretch of road she knows to push herself back into the seat and hold on

haha i see you have her well trained! all i get is a load of gob off my mrs!:rasp:

RB + LY 182 FF
fink they came on a 52 onwards plate .
i have this tho tbh when is it on ? when u press it and the light comes on is that when it works? when does it flash then when the light is off and its being used? sorry lol sounds irish lol but my last 172 was a 02 and i never had ESP before.

Porsche Boxster987S
i have this tho tbh when is it on ? when u press it and the light comes on is that when it works? when does it flash then when the light is off and its being used? sorry lol sounds irish lol but my last 172 was a 02 and i never had ESP before.

Always wondered this too lol

BMW M5 & E36
When you start the car it defaults to being turned on, and the light is off. When its interfering it'll flash at you. When you press the button and the light comes on all the time, that's when it's turned off.

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
The first thing i used to do when i started my 172 up was switch it straight off, its bloody dangerous in my eyes.

When you start the car it defaults to being turned on, and the light is off. When its interfering it'll flash at you. When you press the button and the light comes on all the time, that's when it's turned off.

It also seems to intervene when the light isn't flashing though. A lot of people report improved pull out of tight low speed corners when the ESP is off, even in situations where it would not otherwise 'flash'.

BMW M5 & E36
It also seems to intervene when the light isn't flashing though. A lot of people report improved pull out of tight low speed corners when the ESP is off, even in situations where it would not otherwise 'flash'.

Yep, I agree for sure. Mentioned that it's a noticeable difference a couple of posts above too.

Lionel Richie
^not trying hard enough sonny jim!!

it really is at the bottom of the pile of "systems" in my eyes

its one major fault is that its been installed on a car that lifts the inside rear wheel quite easily when "pushing on"!! When say the right rear wheel is off the ground and stops spinning, the system reacts by grabbing the front left brake, this is what happened to me at brands, i'm not joking it tried to throw me into the kitty litter

nath - keep practising, one day you will have proper skills young sky walker ;)

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
^ Seems to be a pretty good reason not to use it then. Locking one the front brakes when a rear wheel is lifted isn't a good idea in the corners.

I'll keep it switched off.:)

182FF with cup packs

When you press the button and the light comes on, that means ESP is off.

I personally thought that when it flashes, thats when it's to much for the system and it gives up.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
LOL...

In the 182 it wasn't too intrusive but in the 197 it cuts in far too early IMO..
agreed, it was flashin at me when the car wasn't even bein pushed. And also, it annoys me because if I leave it on my passengers get scared if it flashes because its 'saving me from crashin' in their opinion :(

audi a6 3.0tdi
Tis for girls. All the proper drivers have it turned off as you can tell what the car is doing, esp and traction control just makes the car unpredictable. Man up! even TVRs don't have it and they are running far more power than the little clios

03 RS clio 172 flameR
off its crap, and dangerous

you c**k and inside rear wheel with it on, its s**ts itself and trys to throw you off the road

agreed, when i give my bro a go in it he floored it in second and thought he was hit by side winds, when really it was the esp trying to drive lol, also iv been driving along at night and for no good reason what so ever, on a str8 road, it slammed on the brakes on front left and tryed to crash me into a tree! if someone had been behind me, id have been wrote off!

Audi TT
Only had mine flashing when hitting greasy patches on roads round this way or pulling away from junctions sharpish. Never had it in a corner although mine seems to understeer more than anything I've ever driven to the point I've zero confidence in the thing through corners or on roundabouts. :(
I could leave mine for dead on the same round in my fully loaded up with crap focus estate which is a 115bhp diesel with zero torque below 2k and all out of puff at 4k! Seriously it goes through bends way quicker and safer than my 172.

Tires look ok although a bit worn on outer edges but nothing major. :(

G