ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The "Hidden/Deep web / tor.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
I don't mind if someone wants to edit the words out...

It's an intriguing place though, shame it's full of wrong s**t.

I guess it's best to know what you're doing before jumping in.

Revels Mum & Sister
Went on it last night. To be honest there is not really anything there that isnt available up here in the normal internets!! I am sure it is used for other illicit things that will never be linked on HiddenWiki or made public knowledge. All the Gore, CP, Drugs, Stolen CC/Paypal accounts etc can all be found/bought with a Google search.

From what I read as well this Bitcoin thing is not as secure as people think it is. All the hitman rubbish as well, I do not believe that is true either well not the ones that are in plain view anyway.

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
+1

From a technical POV, the technology behind it isn't all that special, it's been around for a loooong time

Shirley pretty much as long as the Internet as isn't this just the "old web?" Pages that aren't searchable via google etc?

It's about as secret as the moon but if the numbers I've read are correct only about half a million people use it... And that's gone up recently because sites like BB, 4Chan, Reddit have been reading up on it.

500,000 out of how many people who have the web? Still fairly "hidden".

2.2 bar shed.
good-luck-proxies.thumbnail.jpg

Seriously though, its packed full of script kiddies. If you want real s**t you've gotta go deeper still. Its like Inception...

Also, using Tor as a failsafe method to hide your IP address is just plain old madness.

You really think browsing anonymously is possible?

Yes, but as the internet progresses its getting harder and harder. Requires serious dedication though and isnt something that you'd bother with unless you were doing something rather more than the standard illegal bits and bobs.

Diesel Barge
Intresting stuff, cant believe i've never heard of it. Not really interested in browsing for CP and other nasty stuff mind. Wasnt TOR created by some government anyway?

Bus w**ker
Yes, but as the internet progresses its getting harder and harder. Requires serious dedication though and isnt something that you'd bother with unless you were doing something rather more than the standard illegal bits and bobs.

:lolup:

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
just come across TOR and been playing with it. Going to investigate in protection a little more before going further... anyone recomend any progs? Privoxy?

Not a 320d
Why all the media coverage and newfags on the topic of the deep web suddenly?

Only real reason I can think people would want to use this is for child p**n and drugs.

Keep seeing this on /b/ and the like. Not bothered myself. Strikes me as a club for nerds so they can feel special. Or a haven for paedophiles.

182FF with cup packs
Intresting stuff, cant believe i've never heard of it. Not really interested in browsing for CP and other nasty stuff mind. Wasnt TOR created by some government anyway?

Yeah, US Naval Research Laboratory sponsored the project.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Well Silk Road is no more.

It's been seized by the FBI and an arrest of the person the suspect to be DPR has been made.

A lot of speculation around it at the minute as most believe that the real DPR sold the site quite a while back. Will be keeping an eye on this to see what the score is.

Well Silk Road is no more.

It's been seized by the FBI and an arrest of the person the suspect to be DPR has been made.

A lot of speculation around it at the minute as most believe that the real DPR sold the site quite a while back. Will be keeping an eye on this to see what the score is.

Yeah, dumped my LTC right before, debating whether to buy back in now, if I do, I'm up ~20%!

The DPR was arrested in June around the time of the FireFox/Tor scandle by the FBI, so I'd not be surprised if there are lots of logs stored - if so - he has much much more to worry about than the FBI (all the drug lords and other criminals who used SR).

Ironically, he was found via his StackOverflow account, it got subpeona'd by the FBI, outside of the Tor network - the dumbass used his real info, and no proxies.

26,000 BTC seized by FBI, around $2m.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
There are all sorts of different stories. Most relating to him using an account in the very early stages of SR called "altoid" which he used to publicise the SR and also to look for someone else to help it start up.

This makes for some light (read hefty) reading.

http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf

It still doesn't make 100% sense to me. Someone that's been running SR for this long surely doesn't get caught out by something so stupid.

There are all sorts of different stories. Most relating to him using an account in the very early stages of SR called "altoid" which he used to publicise the SR and also to look for someone else to help it start up.

This makes for some light (read hefty) reading.

http://www1.icsi.berkeley.edu/~nweaver/UlbrichtCriminalComplaint.pdf

It still doesn't make 100% sense to me. Someone that's been running SR for this long surely doesn't get caught out by something so stupid.

It's always the little things that get you caught, or you get power hungry and want to boast about it!

The thing he messed up on REALLY badly - SR is hosted in the US - that is not going to be nice at all.

Plus, if there are logs stored then it gets much much worse for him as there are hitmen for hire and all sorts on SR, soliciting murder wouldn't go down too lightly.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I agree. But there are some very grey areas surrounding the whole arrest.

The FBI state they they obtained a copy of the SR server in July. Not the actual server, so how they could display the seizure message is beyond me as onion addresses aren't easy to just redirect as you would with a typical URL. They would have to have control of the server or the private key.

As for the Murder charges there is no record of a person under the name that was apparently given by DPR to the "hitman" or any proof of a murder during the expected time.

Lots of things don't add up and I'm not sure how well they can legally make this stick. Call in the foil hat brigade but I've got a feeling that a lot of this is "made up" to put together a "legal" arrest warrant. I have a feeling more information has been collated that can't be used legally due to the means in which it has been obtained.

Call me paranoid but with the current state of monitoring I can see there being much more to the story.

And on top of all that, I can't believe it's just one guy. The whole idea of "Dread Pirate Roberts" is based on multiple people taking on the same name at different points in time.

I agree. But there are some very grey areas surrounding the whole arrest.

The FBI state they they obtained a copy of the SR server in July. Not the actual server, so how they could display the seizure message is beyond me as onion addresses aren't easy to just redirect as you would with a typical URL. They would have to have control of the server or the private key.

As for the Murder charges there is no record of a person under the name that was apparently given by DPR to the "hitman" or any proof of a murder during the expected time.

Lots of things don't add up and I'm not sure how well they can legally make this stick. Call in the foil hat brigade but I've got a feeling that a lot of this is "made up" to put together a "legal" arrest warrant. I have a feeling more information has been collated that can't be used legally due to the means in which it has been obtained.

Call me paranoid but with the current state of monitoring I can see there being much more to the story.

100% agree.

They definitely have access to be able to display that message imo.

I'd love to know how it really went down, but let's face it, none of us will!

It's always the little things that get you caught, or you get power hungry and want to boast about it!

The thing he messed up on REALLY badly - SR is hosted in the US - that is not going to be nice at all.

Plus, if there are logs stored then it gets much much worse for him as there are hitmen for hire and all sorts on SR, soliciting murder wouldn't go down too lightly.

Have you ever been on SR? No hitmen or weapons were allowed. Other places on Tor yes you can, but not on SR.