ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Ferry! E39 530d Touring

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I needed a bigger motor to replace the DCi but still needed to be suitable for moving engines and other car related rubbish round the country.

A 530d seemed to be the only sensible option really as I can't stand anything made by VAG.

Here she is.
pyga4u5y.jpg

2003 E39 530d Msport Touring.

I have to say, I love it. It's 1 owner from new with full BMW service history, just clicked over 120k

Has all the options (sat nav, leather, front and rear park sensors)

She drives like a total dream although I'd only owned it a day before my YB cosworth engine leaked oil all over the boot. Although even with a cosworth YB in the boot, there was still plenty of space for more stuff.

ydejyty3.jpg

Obviously it would of been rude to leave it as a standard car,

So the first job what to have a little order up of goodies.

EGR power pipe delete kit.
Swirl flap delete kit
Pipercross panel filter

Fitting the EGR delete and swirl flap delete was really easy. 4 out of the 6 were loose so well worth the time to get them out the engine.

upu2evyn.jpg

symetuhy.jpg

a6upebuz.jpg

Next week it's going to the fabricators to get a proper decat made. All off the shelf decats come out the turbo, spilt into 2 and then go back down to 1 in the mid section. I'm getting the mid section modified so the decat can be 1 single 3inch pipe instead of this 1-2-1 rubbish.

After that's finished it will be time to give a custom ECU calibration.

Really can't believe how well it drives for an old ferry. So quite and comfortable.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I love mine 230k and can manage 70mpg if I drive like Ms Daisy. . Thats with the tuning box I fitted for £70, be rude not to.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
These are great cars. The first one I drove quite some time ago I was gob smacked how well it went. Any pics. Ignore the last question, pics didn't show straight away, odd.

330i. E30 Touring.
That's epic! I really want one of these.

High roller though- £4k for an engine moving shed. I love it.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lovely motor Mike.

These are high on my list when I need to get a larger car. Along with Volvo V70s or Saab 9-3 2.8 Turbos. Be interested to know what real world mpg it gets. :)

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Lovely motor Mike.

These are high on my list when I need to get a larger car. Along with Volvo V70s or Saab 9-3 2.8 Turbos. Be interested to know what real world mpg it gets. :)

It's not too painful on fuel mate.

It's about 34 round town and 52 on the motorway, but that's before the EGR delete, DeCat and map witch will all improve the consumption.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Swirl flaps need deleting, there are no tell rail signs but they can just fall off inside the cyclinder and total the engine and a smooth change on the auto box. That's about it tbh.

Any one you buy, budget a swirl flap delete and an auto box fluid change.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
That's good fuel consumption. Anything on these to look out for? I.e. Any known major problems?

Best colour aswell. A fine purchase!
Rear suspension can be troublesome as its self levelling with air springs, watch for leaks, lop sided at the back or flat on its @rse if the compressors goosed etc.
russ

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Did a gearbox oil change today to help keep her in tip top condition.

Had to remove the sump to get to the gearbox filter too.

aqa8y2a5.jpg

The gearbox holds a further 10l in the torque converter and valve pack so I had to make a feed into the new fluid to flush all old fluid out.

9a8asu6y.jpg

After 20seconds of cycling from D to R the fluid started to come through clean.

I fitted a new filter and topped the gear oil up and put all the covers back on.

be5utuje.jpg

The difference is amazing. So much smoother that what I thought was an already very smooth car.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Also fitted a Pipercross panel filter today

ebadu6e4.jpg

And my aux lead came for the radio. It was really easy to fit as BMW pre wired my car to have one so it was just a case of plug and play :)

buqe3u6e.jpg

3u2utu7u.jpg

2e8ehuze.jpg

equsa3uv.jpg

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Today was decat day.

I took the car over to a very good friend of mine Mike Edwards Motorsport who built a custom decat for the car.

The aftermarket ones are really annoying as they are made as a bolt on bolt off replacement and because of the nature of the standard cats it means it comes out the turbo, splits into 2 and the. Back to 1 in the mid section.

I wanted a decat that was 1 pipe the whole way.

First the old cats were removed.

ebubazu4.jpg

Then he set about making 2 end parts.

anyme3yv.jpg

a5ugesa4.jpg

Then he decided the best way to run the pipe work so not to interfere with any covers or existing parts of the car.

rebu2ute.jpg

Then he welded it all up. His welding is absolutely stunning.

yqepe2eb.jpg

yha6udyh.jpg

Then mounted it back on the car

6ery9y3y.jpg

The difference is really impressive. The engine is much smoother and the power delivery is much better over 3000rpm.

The engine pulls hard and has much cleaner power delivery. I'm really impressed.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
I've recently bought an e39 too, saloon mind and a petrol 3 litre. Absolutely love it! So smooth and quiet. Got mine for peanuts too. Champagne edition 2 auto.

is there a way to run an aux with the USB connection? So that my iPod/iPhone will charge?

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Car looks awesome by the way. My initial want for the e39 was the 540i manual touring but after trawling it appears these are uber rare. Happy with what I ended up with

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I've recently bought an e39 too, saloon mind and a petrol 3 litre. Absolutely love it! So smooth and quiet. Got mine for peanuts too. Champagne edition 2 auto.

is there a way to run an aux with the USB connection? So that my iPod/iPhone will charge?

Make sure you do the gear oil mate if it's an auto. I can't tell you the difference it made and I didn't think there was much up with mine.