ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The daily flame project

Clio 172
I'll start of by saying I come from the retro ford scene and even my 172 is a bit modern for me lol. The plans are to get it to a really clean tidy example, keeping all the Luxury's and adding some while at the same time improving handling. The car will be used for a daily commuter to work and hopefully go on a few track days and use it up curbough (local sprint track)

Sadly I bought a bit of a lemon lost all drive on the way home, I suspected the washer in the near side of the diff but no all was well. Next cheapest option and needed doing as the gator was split was the o/s driveshaft, that done still no luck. So next job engine out check diff and clutch.

The day I bought it
IMG_20150330_150655174_HDR_zpsgflis2uf.jpg

Not looking forward to ripping all this out
IMG_20150823_120028135_HDR_zpsxd9kj8hg.jpg

Too many wire's
IMG-20150823-WA0006_zpsjivftyam.jpg

Only got an hour on it and the heavens opened so had to call it a day, managed to remove the front end, disconnected the loom, all the little vacuum's ect. Soon as the rain stops drain water remove rads and pipe work, I'll call it a day then, tomorrow disconnect gear linkage, clutch cable and manifold. Jack it up pull shafts out the box but leave in hubs so I can still move it if I need to.should then be ready to pull out, I'll leave it til one of my friends can help me as I've had a few engines swing in the past and scratch paint ect. End of the week I'll hopefully have a fair bit done

Clio 172
Ok, I managed to get an hour on it today and think it ready to lift. Just going to give it a final check and get it out tomorrow morning weather permitting. I can't wait to get the box off and see if I can identify the problem, then it'll be time to get my ocd working and tidy the engine and bay up, lots of oil spray everywhere.

Fingers crossed that's everything and I can lift it out tomorrow, pic of my little pest........ I mean helper.

IMG_20150827_123027250_HDR_zpsdjh7esca.jpg

Thanks gaz

Clio 172
Thanks guys, its all going really well and the cars a pleasure to work on. I have had no rounded off bolts, no stubborn bolts and everything has been pretty straight forward. Only spent about 3 hours on it and its ready to come out, I think that's pretty good going for my first attempt. Let's hope the weathers nice in the morning.

Clio 172
Ok so I managed to get the engine out. I had left it so it was ready to lift, so with a spare Saturday afternoon thought I'd take it out............. ERM, it wasn't ready to lift. After attempt after attempt, it wasn't coming out. Body kept lifting, I was checking everywhere and it was clear. Then it clicked, I had left the dog bone attached, what a dick! Then had trouble with the diff clearing the manifold. But its out now, just caused myself a little bit more work and money. Well at least it's out :)

IMG_20150829_192439625_zpsu6h9pifo.jpg

IMG_20150829_192447592_zpsaskqcodl.jpg

Thanks gaz

Clio 172
Cheers guys, hopefully get the box off today And get to the bottom of my problem.

In two minds whether to just fix the problem and bang it all back in or, fix problem, put new belt and dephaser and get my ocd side out and clean engine up, lick of paint ect.

Clio 172
Very true.

Also heard folk using the 182 manifold over the 172, to me they look the same. Whats the benefits?

Thanks Gaz

2014 Clio 200t edc
I believe the manifold is one of if not th e only reason the 182 is 'more' powerful than the 172. Might be wrong though. Definately worth it as you've got the engine out. They are cheap too.

Clio 172
Thanks, Got to be worth a purchase then. I'll keep an eye out on the forum, rather buy off here than eBay.
Thanks

Clio 172
Normally like to spend Sundays chilling, well yeah I still did but i did go in the garage for half hour and remove loom, gearbox and clutch.

IMG_20150830_155149632_zpssfvlubvq.jpg

IMG_20150830_164701995_zps1mgsn9oz.jpg

Then I found this

th_VID_20150830_164338996_zpssreagrol.jpg

Clio 172
I've been busy and with a trip to lego land this weekend, means funds and time are tied up. All I've managed to do is get the car back on its wheels, tidy my garage and get the engine on an stand.

Since having the engine out, found it needs a clutch, cam cover gasket and sump gasket (I have some loctite seal for the sump).Also while its out I'm going to do the cam belt and paint the engine up so its nice and pretty haha.

Being as my video doesn't seem to work, here is a picture of my clutch.

IMG_20150901_191829697_zpsg0xkgd1r.jpg

Think I've found my problem.

Also, this was broken which I found strange

IMG_20150830_165918312_zpswuepmvvf.jpg

Thanks gaz

Clio 172
Tiny update, not had much spare cash so just been tidying up and making the engine look fresh again.

Got my lads birthday this weekend, but hopefully weekend after I should have cam belt kit and aux belt kit along with a load of other bits.

Pic of before and after

collage_20150928125337877_zpslgkmuosx.jpg

Thanks gaz

Clio 172
OK so now I can crack on, thanks to Renault parts direct.

IMG_20151010_191718970_zps2bplls3g.jpg

@not normal dan is coming round this week to fit the cam belt, really looking forward to getting all this done. Been waiting along time due to circumstances. Be a good feeling once it's finished, one knowing its all done and should be good for a few thousand miles, and that I've done it all by myself..... Bar the cam belt, thanks Dan. Saying that if I had the tooling I would give it a go.

Also managed to pick up some 182 wheels as I hate the standard 172 wheels. Wheels are in good condition but going to spray them a darker and more metallic along with the bullets and badges.

IMG_20151010_172451133_zpsoycoepbe.jpg

Thanks for looking

Clio 172
Haha not the only one to think that, lad at work hates the 182 wheels. Just personal preference at the end of the day, I don't love the 182 wheels, but I can't stand the 172 wheels.

Clio 172
Cheers guys

@rsdan your fiesta looks a good base, looks solid too. Always stayed away from mk1 due to panels being silly money. I restored a mk2 xr2, did a rs2000 xr2, had a 2 rs2000. Always loved Ford's but think they are over valued now. Xr3 yours as well?

Clio 172
Lovely flamer. Looks quite clean. Obviously previous owner spent more time polishing the car than maintaining it! [emoji4]

Hope you get it back on road soon

Cheers mate, I think the problem is that it had a new engine fitted by renault at 70k and folk have seen this and thought they could leave it. Plus I have ocd when it comes to things like this, if I could afford to I would of liked to strip it rite down to bare block and rebuild it. I'll just try and do the best I can with my budget.

rsdan

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 182
Cheers guys

@rsdan your fiesta looks a good base, looks solid too. Always stayed away from mk1 due to panels being silly money. I restored a mk2 xr2, did a rs2000 xr2, had a 2 rs2000. Always loved Ford's but think they are over valued now. Xr3 yours as well?

Yeah it did look fairly solid when I first got it but I've done outter wings, repaired the inner wings and kick panels, new front panel, repaired boot floor and inner and outter rear arches as well at the rear of the sills so far 😂
No mate xr wasn't mine it was my dad's, he's had a a fair few old fords over the years, now only owning a mk2 rs2000.

But I've got to agree every things on the ford scene is soo expensive.