ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Chris Harris thread

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
So long as mine arrives when scheduled (currently around 13th July) I'll be taking it around Goodwood on 10th August. Should be nicely run in then so can have a proper play and see if the ESC 'off' is intruding or if it's just the torque-vectoring trying to be clever.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Of course anyone that wants to use it that way will no doubt still think it's brilliant. Although Harris did say it's a shame he couldn't switch it off he didn't actually say it was affecting the car really imo.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Of course anyone that wants to use it that way will no doubt still think it's brilliant. Although Harris did say it's a shame he couldn't switch it off he didn't actually say it was affecting the car really imo.

He didn't but what he did say is that he could feel it interacting. For a car that is supposed to be for driving enthusiasts my opinion is that the driver should have option to be fully on control.

172 Race Car
So long as mine arrives when scheduled (currently around 13th July) I'll be taking it around Goodwood on 10th August. Should be nicely run in then so can have a proper play and see if the ESC 'off' is intruding or if it's just the torque-vectoring trying to be clever.
Llandow Aug Bank Holiday?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
Is that what it is though?

I thought it was a Fiesta with a pokey lump under the bonnet. It's not been touted as the ultimate driving machine. That was always the Clio's claim.

If I am honest I haven't read the official press release, but would you not agree the "hot" version of a car is usually aimed at people who enjoy driving? Namely driving enthusiasts.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Is that what it is though?

I thought it was a Fiesta with a pokey lump under the bonnet. It's not been touted as the ultimate driving machine. That was always the Clio's claim.

That was going to be my point mate. It's not a trackbred drivers car.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If I am honest I haven't read the official press release, but would you not agree the "hot" version of a car is usually aimed at people who enjoy driving? Namely driving enthusiasts.

I would agree, yes.

Does that mean just about every single other 'performance' car out there is also a complete fail as there are few others that allow total disconnection of the ESP safety net? I expect it is possible on an AMG or a Porsche RS etc. but on the Audi RS3 or Golf R?

The Clio was pretty unique in that regard.

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Might join you Mark at Goodwood. Or be there with me camera :)

Great review of the ST, Just imagine what there going to be like when the Ford tuning company's have had them for a few months !

Turning ESP off on the road is a daft idea anyway. You shouldn't be going fast enough to require it so I agree with you there. But as this car will be used on tracks by many people not being able to turn it off was a bit of a strange decision by Ford.

Eh? As soon as I get in mine I turn ESP off. Granted it's a Quattro and now a 10 y/o system so may cut in earlier than the clio/fiesta but a general sweeping statement like that is bs fella.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I would agree, yes.

Does that mean just about every single other 'performance' car out there is also a complete fail as there are few others that allow total disconnection of the ESP safety net? I expect it is possible on an AMG or a Porsche RS etc. but on the Audi RS3 or Golf R?

The Clio was pretty unique in that regard.

Of course not, and I never said it made the Fiesta a failure either, I just said it was a shame.

Do you not think this argument also has similarities to the manual gearbox argument? Both are about a driver feeling involved with the experience, and for me like the lack of a clutch pedal a computer helping out kind of removes a portion of the pleasure of nailing the perfect apex or getting the perfect downshift.

Eh? As soon as I get in mine I turn ESP off. Granted it's a Quattro and now a 10 y/o system so may cut in earlier than the clio/fiesta but a general sweeping statement like that is bs fella.

Do you not think to yourself, what if i bin it? What if the ESP could of saved it? I did/do and I know I would kick myself if I did crash with it off.

I am surprised you dont feel the same.

172 Race Car
Smashed an alloy wheel to bits on my Focus BECAUSE of ESP.

It was all under control as id caught the slide, had the throttle pinned but it cut the power and I sild sideways into the kerb.

Yes I was driving too fast/like a tool

Of course not, and I never said it made the Fiesta a failure either, I just said it was a shame.

Do you not think this argument also has similarities to the manual gearbox argument? Both are about a driver feeling involved with the experience, and for me like the lack of a clutch pedal a computer helping out kind of removes a portion of the pleasure of nailing the perfect apex or getting the perfect downshift.

Do you not think to yourself, what if i bin it? What if the ESP could of saved it? I did/do and I know I would kick myself if I did crash with it off.

I am surprised you dont feel the same.

No. Because I don't drive like that on the road. My traction kills power when launching heavily at roundabouts or going over bumps too quickly.

Like I said. Ten year old system.

Lotus Elise
I like to have the option to turn it off if the opportunity presents itself which is the point most people are trying to make?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
That turbo spool is amazing. I think the most interesting bit is that it's on the standard 1.0 Eco boost internals and the 1.6 Eco boost turbo. Great signs for some seriously cheap mods to the road car range.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Ford are my new favourite manufacturer!

BIG <3 for ecoboost!

Never has my mind been changed soo much about something! I had big doubts about it when it was released but ford have well and truly put me in m place!

I think the most interesting bit is that it's on the standard 1.0 Eco boost internals and the 1.6 Eco boost turbo. Great signs for some seriously cheap mods to the road car range.

Although keep in mind that Ford are not currently offering the engine in that level of tune with an OEM warranty. The engine in question may be using the OEM internals, but how bothered would Ford be if it exploded? Not very. Having said that, it's entirely possible that they may offer the engine commercially in that level of tune.

But anyway. Amazing engine, amazing car, amazing video. Hopefully Ford are seriously considering a business case to produce it. If they could make it and sell it for c.£35k they would attract a LOT of buyers looking for a bonkers but affordable track and weekend car.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It's viable. It's basically an ariel atom made by a mainstream manufacturer.

as for 1.6 turbo on a 1.0. When all these new Eco boosts are out of warranty I'm sure you'd get people such as chip building the 2.0 with the 3.5 turbo on it and putting it in a mk1 KA

​warranty isn't an issue then ;)

Swift Sport
Hats off to Ford, it's great to see them making such a radical car. I just hope they go ahead and produce it in larger numbers.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's viable. It's basically an ariel atom made by a mainstream manufacturer. as for 1.6 turbo on a 1.0. When all these new Eco boosts are out of warranty I'm sure you'd get people such as chip building the 2.0 with the 3.5 turbo on it and putting it in a mk1 KA ​warranty isn't an issue then ;)

This is more what I was getting at. When the warrenty is expired it's pretty obvious that you can use the 1.6 turbo on the 1.0 engine. Would make for a great mod.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
That car, WOW. Was prepared to not like the PDK but after that review, i can't deny its brilliant and if Chris likes it...

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Epic car! The noise is staggering!

Also- odd seats due to it being development mule?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That was awesome. Even more so because he loves those Porsches with every bone in his body.

The review was from him personally. Not as a reviewer of cars and it came across as it always does. Very special car. I have no doubt my Boss will upgrade his 997T for a 991T when it's released.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Watched the 911 video in bed last night, excellent as per usual.

Pretty good that he filmed it all himself too. Man of talent.