ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 13"/15" Quandary...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've always had 15" laptops, whether they are widescreen format or not, it's always been 15", 17" is massive, and netbooks annoy me...

The time has come to "become one of the elite" and I'm trying to choose a MBP...

The base 13" is only £999, but the base 15"? £1499?

Is it worth it, or is £500 for:

0.26 of processor power
70 gig of HD space
Stand alone graphics
2" of screen....
Better Res...

utterly mental?

I'm obviously going to go into apple and check it out, but is there anything I'm missing?

The laptop is just for me to use at home, not at work, web browsing, some photo editing on occasion, itunes, lots of films (plugging into my 42" LG :cool:) and doing my college work.

Also, the apple site mentions the 15" glossy screen for a higher res, is this an optional extra? If so, how much?

13" FTW.

You can upgrade the screen. Click 'Select' and then you can configure it with your options.

Just find a student. Don't pay full price.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I am a student Revols. ;) I'm only in once a week so can't check the prices until tomorrow. I'll post my findings then though.

So you're saying you can upgrade the screen on the 13"?

Is the screen pricey? I know I should check, but I'm on mobile BB and the apple site rapes me.

Oh, and why 13"? You may saw FTW, but that's not a real reason is it?

Well its 50% cheaper for a start. It's more portable. You don't neeeeeeed the size as such. You're going to hook it up to a massive tv.

You can't change the 13" screen. The 15" has two extra options.

1,440-by-900-pixel is standard.
1,680-by-1,050 glossy is an extra £80.01
1,680-by-1,050 matt anti-glare is an extra £120

But as it's for a desktop, I'd get this TBQFH.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB953B/A?mco=MTU3ODcyNDE

Buying a portable machine, never taking it anywhere and having it on a desk is craaaaaaaaazy. You might as well buy a desktop.

AGH the sl*g
I run the 13" and it's more than enough I used it on my graphic design course at uni and it served my needs well and the odd time I needed a larger screen I plugged it into the tv. And it fits in your bag much better.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
13" is a cracking little machine, not that small really and perfect size for browsing etc.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
My 15" MBP is for sale for the price of the standard 13". And it's got upgrades.

Six months old.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well its 50% cheaper for a start. It's more portable. You don't neeeeeeed the size as such. You're going to hook it up to a massive tv.

You can't change the 13" screen. The 15" has two extra options.

1,440-by-900-pixel is standard.
1,680-by-1,050 glossy is an extra £80.01
1,680-by-1,050 matt anti-glare is an extra £120

But as it's for a desktop, I'd get this TBQFH.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/FB953B/A?mco=MTU3ODcyNDE

Buying a portable machine, never taking it anywhere and having it on a desk is craaaaaaaaazy. You might as well buy a desktop.

Cheers for the decent info...

It'll only ever get plugged into the tv to watch films, but I guess that's when I'll need the screen size, after using a 13 for a little bit, it doesn't feel too small so maybe you're right... wish It had a slightly better res though... and stand alone graphics...

Will it output at 1080p like my laptop does do you know???

As for the iMac suggestion, you do love them don't you!

I have no desk, I have no desire to buy a desk, I have no desire to sit at a desk whilst browsing cs or watching p**n... see why the MBP is for me?

The only thing not appealing to me right nowbout the 13" is is the better screen options/res on the 15".

I run the 13" and it's more than enough I used it on my graphic design course at uni and it served my needs well and the odd time I needed a larger screen I plugged it into the tv. And it fits in your bag much better.

That's what I wanted to know, if people find the 13" good for day to day standard usage. Cheers :)

Go for the 13". It will be £849 with HE discount.

That's the other thing I wanted to know, excellent!!! :D So 900£ with 3 years applecare.

My 15" MBP is for sale for the price of the standard 13". And it's got upgrades.

Six months old.

Really? I had no idea.... ;)

Only thing that puts me off yours is the chip, the carbon, and the lack of 3 years apple care I can get for £50

Sorry 'topher, I'd love to buy it off you, I'm just very picky.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The chip is the size of a pin head. lol. And the carbon covers it, but that comes off.

It also comes with three years Applecare. For a grand.

Or you could pay another £500 for one without a tiny mark. lol.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Get iWorks as well. I'm sure it's only about £40 with HE discount. I'll check my receipt.

Meh, £56.

Last edited:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The chip is the size of a pin head. lol. And the carbon covers it, but that comes off.

It also comes with three years Applecare. For a grand.

Or you could pay another £500 for one without a tiny mark. lol.

I do hear ya dude, but even you must confess, there's something about being new and your own, especially with computers...

I also can't pay you by CC can I now? lol!

Get iWorks as well. I'm sure it's only about £40 with HE discount. I'll check my receipt.

Meh, £56.

I was just going to "acquire" the new office?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Stand alone graphics is a must.......you dont want shared memory BS.

See I did think that, but my last laptop was shared, and it had no issues at all, but I'm not one to game on laptops.

Lol, fair enough. I fancied a change which is why I bought it.

Me? Confused?

LOL, fair point, I don't do credit.

I just don't want to stick it on eBay. lol.

Credit is a must for me, I need a credit rating, so "reverse saving" on things like this are win win, I get what I want now, and I build my rating.

PayPal ?!

Also, MS Office = Pony. NeoOffice FTW ! Basically OpenOffice but muuuuch leaner, and designed for T'apple.

And stop wearing womens clothes.

Paypal isn't a bad shout,and apparently the new office is actually quite good? Used it yet?

I am donning 100% masculine clothing today, fear not, homophobe.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I had 2008 on there for about a week. It was typically MS and wanted to use up most of my HDD and update itself with massive files a lot. I got fed up and deleted it.

Can't be fudged with 2010 or whatever the new one is .. it will be the same old MS BS.

I don't see the standalone graphics as an issue. Unless you're really going to push it, which you're not, then it doesn't matter.

The iMac is the best thing Apple make.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I had 2008 on there for about a week. It was typically MS and wanted to use up most of my HDD and update itself with massive files a lot. I got fed up and deleted it.

Can't be fudged with 2010 or whatever the new one is .. it will be the same old MS BS.

Turn updates off, winner. lol! I'll try the new MS Office, if not I'll be badgering you for softwarez!!!

I don't see the standalone graphics as an issue. Unless you're really going to push it, which you're not, then it doesn't matter.

The iMac is the best thing Apple make.

With regards to the graphics, that's what I wanted to know, ideally I'd like to know if it struggles with HD film playback too, as I have a friend with quite a library, 4TB's worth.... lol!

The iMac is honestly brilliant, one of my mates has one, but there's just no place in my life for a desktop, sitting at a desk on a computer just reminds me of being at work, so maybe that's where I could get one? At work? But for me, it's going to be a MBP.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Excellent :)

(If any of what you've said turns out not to be true, I'm suing CS)

Re: Desk: A couple of my friends are the same as you but I don't have one, tbh when I get home I like to relax, I have a massive leather chair and foot stall, comfort browsing suits me fine as long as I'm not working/studying. (In which case I just sit at the dining room table)

2011 is much better than 2008.

Excellent :)

(If any of what you've said turns out not to be true, I'm suing CS)

Re: Desk: A couple of my friends are the same as you but I don't have one, tbh when I get home I like to relax, I have a massive leather chair and foot stall, comfort browsing suits me fine as long as I'm not working/studying. (In which case I just sit at the dining room table)

I'm sorry?

You think I might be wrong? I'm not Tom.

2011 is much better than 2008.

This^

Been running it on my Mac for just over a month now at work getting ready to roll it out to the rest of the organisation.

Its a hell of alot faster and less 'bloated' than 2008. Oh...and it has outlook now!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
You pay the extra for the newer processor (there is a good difference in performance) as even entry 15" has the i5 Intel. You also get dedicated video graphics.