ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drove a 182... not what i was expecting

Alfa 147 GTA
Thinking of chopping in the Alfa for a 182/Trophy to start doing track days so took a 182 out which was on 50,000 miles.

I used to have a valver before and have a soft spot for clio's, never driven a 182 but this one must have been a real dog - properly lumpy after warming up and what felt like no go in it at all, even the gf who has no interest was hugely unimpressed. The orange light in bottom right of dash kept flashing at random points I'm assuming that aint good?

Does anyone in Bournemouth have an in shape 182/trophy I could hitch a ride in so I have a benchmark? Tasty beverages will be dished out in return

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Sounds like a bad un. I've owned everything but a 172cup. Get the Trophy, more than worth the difference, and (in general) they tend to be more looked after.

I could take you out in the phase 1 if you like, im based in Christchurch but work in Poole. Flashing light could have been the traction control or engine management light.

172cup
as said, coil pack, o2 sensor, or injectors fucked. very commmon, but makes it run like a bag of shite. Clearly evident by the electrical warning light flashing

amazing difference when they work. If you weren't 1000 miles away from me, i'd give you a shot of my cup. I love it over the FF/182... driven a few, and mine seems to be pretty quick in comparison... however mine is driven properly so thats maybe why

White clique
doesnt sound very healthy, there are plenty of others out there for sale, your mind will change when you get behind the wheel of a decent one for sure.

VaVa
When I had my brother in laws 156 GTA for a bit and then got back in my 172 I thought it was broke lol That might be part of it lol

V6 = Torque

Does fuel make a big difference in these cars? I test drove 3 182s, two felt a bit lethargic but felt ok when thrashed but the other one felt super responsive to light prods of the throttle and just felt quite a bit quicker. One of the slower ones was low on fuel and the salesman said he'll put some petrol in it, I asked if he was putting in V-Power but he said "nah regular unleaded".

ITB'd 182...
TBH your GTA is alot quicker than a sport so im not suprised it felt slow!

A big difference in torque will have alot to do with it :)

Alfa 147 GTA
TBH your GTA is alot quicker than a sport so im not suprised it felt slow!

A big difference in torque will have alot to do with it :)

Yep was prepared for the power deficit and for it "feeling slow" but that one I tried was way too slow and lumpy. And although the Alfa has the legs above 60, upto 60 there shouldn't be too much in it really although I've never had the pleasure of finding out.

Cheers for 172 owners offers but its a 182 I'd be interested in. Just going out to test another one now lets see what this ones like...

Yep was prepared for the power deficit and for it "feeling slow" but that one I tried was way too slow and lumpy. And although the Alfa has the legs above 60, upto 60 there shouldn't be too much in it really although I've never had the pleasure of finding out.

Cheers for 172 owners offers but its a 182 I'd be interested in. Just going out to test another one now lets see what this ones like...

You do realise the 172 is pretty much the same car minus the wheelbarrow peashooter exhausts? ;)

Good luck in finding a good one. There is enough choice out there atm.

J

joker182

I'm in Southampton. I always try and use super un leaded in the engine.
I've found the engine will run a bit rough the first few hundred yards from a cold start. After that the oil needs to warm properly up or the rev limiter will cut in at about 6250 rpm.
If you are still interested in the car , why not ask the seller if you can get it inspected by K tec? they should be able to give you a proper opinion on whats up with the car.
182's are great cars. I've driven a lot of fast cars in my time and I will say bang for buck they are brill.
Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond gave the car a hugely postive review on Top Gear.
Cheers Joker 182

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Thinking of chopping in the Alfa for a 182/Trophy to start doing track days so took a 182 out which was on 50,000 miles.

I used to have a valver before and have a soft spot for clio's, never driven a 182 but this one must have been a real dog - properly lumpy after warming up and what felt like no go in it at all, even the gf who has no interest was hugely unimpressed. The orange light in bottom right of dash kept flashing at random points I'm assuming that aint good?

Does anyone in Bournemouth have an in shape 182/trophy I could hitch a ride in so I have a benchmark? Tasty beverages will be dished out in return

Ha wasn't in Oldham was it? I test drove a shed of a 182 last week was doing the exact same thing - floored it in second and it did sweet f a !