ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test Drove 197 f1

Meg 230 f1
Right went to renault to have a look about and got chatting to the salesmen and test drove the 197, it was the f1 with all the bits seats, brakes etc, was very impressed with the looks and the style of it and the way it handles, but the power is not there for me, i aint saying its not quick but i dont think its as quick as my 172,

I love the fact its got 6 gears and all the bits like climate control and all of that (which my car hasnt got) but the speed let me down a bit. It was used by the manager, it was on 4957 miles so still being run in really but had scuffs on alloy and few scratches inside.

They was askin 14,495 for it which on finance would be 260 quid a month for 5 years which to me is a bit much.

Opinions where i should get one or not please

thanks greg

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Pistonheads, they where that price if not cheaper new.

Meg 230 f1
thats what i said to the bloke at renault i said 15k is a bit much for any renault really, thing is i aint sure if its worth that amount of money even 13k, i know they are pretty much new but for that amount you could get a better car i think

Glacier White 200
They are VERY fast, my R27 is faster than my old 172 and that had a K-Tec Stealth and Decat.

They take a while to run in and they won't start to feel really fast until around 10k miles and above.

Also you can be almost 100% sure that the dealer was running the car on standard unleaded as all of them did in my test drives. The 197 performs poorly on cheap fuel, especially at low milage.

Try and look to test drive a car that has more miles on it and has been run on proper fuel i.e V-Power or BP Ultimate.

You will then only realise how fast the 197 really is.

Only take advice from 197 owners, ignore everyone else and go to clio197.net and talk to real owners who will give you an honest opinion.

Taking the above into account, if you do take the plunge I promise you you'll never look back.

Meg 230 f1
but every1 that ownes a 197 aint gonna say they are crap cos they just paid 13k for it;) i guest i will have to wait and test drive a run in one later on if thats the case

M135i
but every1 that ownes a 197 aint gonna say they are crap cos they just paid 13k for it;) i guest i will have to wait and test drive a run in one later on if thats the case

but also these are the owners that live with the car day in, day out. who will know the car better than a quick test drive. i love the 197's. i prefer them over the 225/230. that IS a personal opinion.

Glacier White 200
I think you're kidding yourself a bit there mate.

You're more likely to get the truth from owners, rather than people that don't own one or a dealer trying to sell you one.

Glacier White 200

but also these are the owners that live with the car day in, day out. who will know the car better than a quick test drive. i love the 197's. i prefer them over the 225/230. that IS an personal opinion.

Totally second that.

The 197 is a brilliant car, I havn't met one owner that isn't smiling about having one!

Meg 230 f1
Also i looked at 1 for £14,500 with 5000 miles, there is some1 selling a racing blue 1 for £12,500 with 5800 miles and another for 19,000 with 8500 miles why the big price difference and why so low miles

Glacier White 200
Forget the 19k one, that's been discussed on here before.

I suppose because they're quite new cars the depreciation isn't really fix yet?!?!

MCS R56
It's not really any quicker (197) than your 172. And running better fuel will account for basically nothing in terms of performance, apart from a bit of a smoother feeling in the engine.

Lol at the "they are really fast" comment. There is very little difference.

Meg 230 f1
i run mine on v-power nearly all the time as well seems to be bit smoother, prob just wait then till they hit there real vaule and run in

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
my bro just borught an st-3 for 14k with 16k on the clock and its mint apart from few scratchs on the alloys whoch hes sorting out and he got xzenons full leather recaro, sony 6 cd changer and all the normal things on the st's and alos a 2.5 turbo lol. i no what id prefer to have and have 495 quid in my pocket

Turbo LY R27
They offered you a crap deal on that, i paid a bit more for mine brand new wit LY and full options list and am payin a couple quid over 200, and its over 5 years as well! Def better off gettin one off Pheads. Might even feel better if you drove one thats been looked after better. Seems to be the way wit 197's, the one i test drove was good, but my R27 feels so much better. Everyone seems to of had the same experiance. I run mine on bp 95, for some reason it dont feels as urgent on v-power, ive put in 3tanks 1 after another and didnt notice much, and when i went bck to 95 it felt better, dont get it? Especially when i first got the car it was only fed on v-power.:dapprove:

MG ZS180 Mk2
I went from a 182 to a R27 and I can say, hand on heart, that the R27 is faster. Mine has loads of torque from about 3000rpm and will happily pull from 40mph in 6th.
The £12,500 racing blue one for sale is mine. I need to get 2 cars so unfortunately it has to go.

Would you say an Audi S3 is fast? I had one in front of me at the weekend and from 30 to 80, it did not get away.

Also on Saturday, I followed a Scooby and a 350z and from 40 to 130 (thats kmh of course) they only gained about 4 to 5 car lengths, plus, they got on the power before me as I had to pull out from behind another car after they had gone past. To be fair though, I think the 350 was held up by the Scooby.

GW Stage 2 R26
to be fair my first 182 was on 6k miles wen i bought it. an didnt realy feel anything like quick until around 14k

MCS R56
I went from a 182 to a R27 and I can say, hand on heart, that the R27 is faster. Mine has loads of torque from about 3000rpm and will happily pull from 40mph in 6th.
The £12,500 racing blue one for sale is mine. I need to get 2 cars so unfortunately it has to go.

Would you say an Audi S3 is fast? I had one in front of me at the weekend and from 30 to 80, it did not get away.

Also on Saturday, I followed a Scooby and a 350z and from 40 to 130 (thats kmh of course) they only gained about 4 to 5 car lengths, plus, they got on the power before me as I had to pull out from behind another car after they had gone past. To be fair though, I think the 350 was held up by the Scooby.

So they were not trying.

MG ZS180 Mk2
power to weight? Audi is heavy. Also, the 0-60 is quick for the audi due to 4wd. Once rolling, that advantage is lost.

Glacier White 200
It's not really any quicker (197) than your 172. And running better fuel will account for basically nothing in terms of performance, apart from a bit of a smoother feeling in the engine.

Lol at the "they are really fast" comment. There is very little difference.

Perhaps you should do some research on the benefits of running on higher octane fuel before making a comment like that lol

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/tuning/Fuel_Test_Results_Update.shtml

Straight line speed there is very little difference between the old Clio and the 197, however round a track the 197 would be way ahead!!

Glacier White 200

So they were not trying.

He didn't say that they wern't trying he said the Scooby held up the 350z lol

3 MPS
my bro just borught an st-3 for 14k with 16k on the clock and its mint apart from few scratchs on the alloys whoch hes sorting out and he got xzenons full leather recaro, sony 6 cd changer and all the normal things on the st's and alos a 2.5 turbo lol. i no what id prefer to have and have 495 quid in my pocket

yeah the 495 will do for a few weeks petrol lol,

Twingo is going to be a let down imo.

How much deposit are you people putting down to get a 197 for £200-£260 a month on finance?

My brother in law drove my R27 last week, he isn't into cars apart from 2CVs and Alfas and he loved the 197 he was even going on about it to my sis.

I used to own a 182 for 2 and a half years and I loved it - great car and if i could've afforded to of kept it then I would have but in terms of build quality (built to higher standard than the current megane range), handling, revving the tits off, the 197 is the business. The only thing I miss is that the 182's torque was available much lower down the rev range.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
The one I tested yesterday was a 197 Cup, it was their Demo and the salesman was an old guy knew his stuff, he said the salesmen who had it before him had run it on 95, and when he got it he started running it on V-Power, and it made quite a difference, and he gained 3mpg or so.

Anywho, it had about 4.5k on it and it felt quicker than a 1*2 to me - not much, but definately a bit 'perkier'. And the handling was just in another world IMHO.

Dan