ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tell Me Why...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Believe it or not, the Clio better built. My gf had a 106 GTI for a year, and a Saxo VTR before that. The difference in 'feel' was night and day! Also if MK2 Clio, NCAP 4 star............

Clio 182
Tell us why they arent.
I must admit though the most common threads around car forums starts with a 106 vs ....... Most being a corsa sport or a corsa with a 2.0 in it.

PH1 V6
106 Gti is a cracking car and responds very well to basic mods! Put the RS and Gti on a track and there isnt really too much in it other than straight line power. 106 is more exciting to drive imo, but the clio is a better buy for a daily driver every time!

DCi 100
106s are basically saxos, without the make up.

106's look better!

DSCF1572.jpg

DSCF1565.jpg

:)

Clio 182
ive raced a corsa with a 2.0 and tbh i wasnt gaining between the distance we had between us but then i wasnt really pulling which you wouldnt expect anyway and this was on a long straight.

The corsa would leave the 106 on a straight but on bendy roads the 106 would stick with it. A corsa 1.6 wouldnt stand a chance against a cliosport or a 2.0 corsa yet you do get owners saying the corsa would keep up if not beat the 106.

In terms of speed i dont see why the clio wouldnt pull away on both the twisties and straights as the clio has brilliant handling as well.

In terms of owning one etc i dont know what it would be like with the 106

Clio 182
The saxo and 106 look the same but if the interior and that unsafe papermache door and surrounds feel you get when youre in one then the clio is much better

PH1 V6
ive raced a corsa with a 2.0 and tbh i wasnt gaining between the distance we had between us but then i wasnt really pulling which you wouldnt expect anyway and this was on a long straight.

The corsa would leave the 106 on a straight but on bendy roads the 106 would stick with it. A corsa 1.6 wouldnt stand a chance against a cliosport or a 2.0 corsa yet you do get owners saying the corsa would keep up if not beat the 106.

In terms of speed i dont see why the clio wouldnt pull away on both the twisties and straights as the clio has brilliant handling as well.

In terms of owning one etc i dont know what it would be like with the 106

My old Gti would keep up with any cliosport in the corners, no question. Infact i sold my Gti to buy my cup and having owned two Gti's and two RS clio's, i can honestly say the 106 is the better drivers car. Clio has more power but the way the Gti handles more than makes up for it! Even in a straight line i think you would be surprised at how little you pull away from a gti, both in standard form too!

That said i own a clio because its a nicer place to be and dare i say it a little more grown up in terms of a daily driver.

Clio 172 cup
funny how prices for good 106 gtis are 3 times what they are for the saxo vts given that they are essentially the same car

Clio 172 cup
My old Gti would keep up with any cliosport in the corners, no question. Infact i sold my Gti to buy my cup and having owned two Gti's and two RS clio's, i can honestly say the 106 is the better drivers car. Clio has more power but the way the Gti handles more than makes up for it! Even in a straight line i think you would be surprised at how little you pull away from a gti, both in standard form too!

That said i own a clio because its a nicer place to be and dare i say it a little more grown up in terms of a daily driver.

agreed, the clio has much better build quality and feels a far safer place to be, but I dont care what anyone says, a 106 gti with a about £1000 spent on the engine..... phs3 newman cams etc would rape any rs clio

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The gearboxes, steering feedback and the pedals are enough to make me hate Saxo/106's.

Disastra Coupe
I've just sold my VTR for my 172.

I absolutely loved my VTR - hence owning it 4 years. It was cheap on fuel, cheap on insurance, cheap on part's and mine was reliable (not all are but the key is to look after them and service regularly). It was a hoot to drive in the twisties with the suspension changes i had made too.

The 172 is better built though, engine has more torque, more comfotable, more modern in every way tbf. Also handle's better in standard form imo.

After owning both i would definitely say the 172 is the better car in terms of being a daily drive - but if i could have kept my VTR and kept the 172 i wouldn't have even thought about it. I was rather attached tbf though lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
the handling response is more precise than the clio though.... lol gearbox is a bit flappy but nevermind! ha

I'm not denying that, but I detest those three things so much that its enough to make me have absolutely no desire to own one again.

PH1 V6
I'm not denying that, but I detest those three things so much that its enough to make me have absolutely no desire to own one again.

fair comment and each to their own, didnt bother me in the slightest funnily enough.

Disastra Coupe

You get used to the pedal's after a while lol :)

Pedal's took some getting used to in the Clio for me.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
fair comment and each to their own, didnt bother me in the slightest funnily enough.

My mate races a 106 and he won't hear a bad word said about them and he is proper proper anal about feedback/handling etc. Makes for a few interesting conversations between me and him! lol.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
They're better equipped and have a more torque'y engine so they still have to be raked to get them to go anywhere, just not as much as a gti/vts. I love them both but the clio is just a class above, a really good upgrade if you have a gti/vts and fancy something slightly more grown up and better equipped

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
I always felt the electric powersteering on the VTS totally ruined it.