ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension groan/creak

fad

Clio 182 FF
I've searched the bpard but every thread related doesnt seem to cover the symptoms I am experiencing.

When pulling away in a stright line you can hear a clunk/groan/creak and when breaking and stopping you can hear it also. Its prounounced on full lock especially in reverse.

Initally I thought it was the cv's but when accelerating with the wheels on partial lock I dont experience it, and its not like a clunking noise i've experienced before when a CV has gone. I've inspected the underside and the CV boots are in one pieace and plenty of grease in the cv's.

I have also checked the lower arms for play but for some reason I cant seem to find what it is?

Any help appreciated

200 Gordini
Ive got the same thing.

Also get a creak from the front suspension when going over speed bumps.

BG 182 FF
Would strut top washers solve this problem or is that on for aftermarket suspension? May be worth a try as they only cost about 10 quid

fad

Clio 182 FF
Well I was suspecting top mounts but I only replaced them last year....its just so perplexing! May take them apart and see how they look.

Also I have new shocks that have done 5k miles which is sooo annoying.

Da

Less
It's generally the top mount 'seating' into the turret as you turn the wheel and move off.
A design flaw unfortunately, the strut top washer fix is for the skipping on full lock - a different design flaw :dapprove:

Da

Less
Could be yeah, or the top bearing worn.

They're ony £30~ from the stealers so could be worthwhile replacing to eliminate them.

fad

Clio 182 FF
Renault but buy the 1.2 one which is identical in everyway just different part number and £35 each cheaper :O

200 Gordini
My car just slid out on me.. Understeer to oversteer.

On the next corner i had really bad understeer.. definitely not greasy roads causing that.

Im sure its something to do with the suspension creaking and knocking. Will get it looked out tomorrow hopefully

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Worth trying the front outer anti roll bar bushes take em out and grease em first to try that .

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mine creaks over sharp bumps. I'm thinking arb bushes also. Done the whole strut top washer thing last week