ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspected gearbox whine

Hi, I have recently purchased a phase2 full fat 172.
I have noticed a humming/whine noise which seems to be coming from the front of the car.
I have also noticed that the humming/whine continues when the engine has been switched off and the car is in neutral. e.g. free wheeling down a hill.
The bearing have all been checked and are fine, any suggestions lads?

S4 Avant
How have the bearings been checked? serious question, not piss taking.

I've had my rear bearings whining humming for ages, started out sounding like the gearbox, but definatly now bearings.

How have the bearings been checked? serious question, not piss taking.

I've had my rear bearings whining humming for ages, started out sounding like the gearbox, but definatly now bearings.

Yeah I took the car to a garage today and all bearings where checked, car was jacked up all for wheels were tested for play and wheels spun.

S4 Avant
Tricky one to check really. I'm just hoping the noise goes away when I get round to new rear brakes

assuming it's definitely coming from the front, only other possibilities are brakes/driveshafts

if you decide it's the diff/gearbox, try changing the oil to see if that helps at all. they can go on for ages, making noises, or they could seize tomorrow - probably a 'live with it' thing until/if anything does eventually let go. assuming it doesn't sound like a tractor, not necessarily something to worry about

RS RIP
Mine's been whining since a couple of months, when on full throttle. Have'nt really trusted my gearbox these times. The last days some tick tick-ticking on full lock steering (in gear that is ) Seems to be driveshafts.. In 70K they have/will have been renewed twice ! :mad:

They (&^&%$*stealers) want 300+ pounds per side for mine , how the f**k can that be right !? :S

Good luck with your prob. I've read on here that the driveshafts are'nt too bad to purchase over in England so...