ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supra NA/T Conversion

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Brilliant work! Can't wait to see the fresh paint.

Coilovers look amazing too, BC's are a great choice.

You're not the only one, really excited to get the call to start building it back up :smile:
My friend has the same coilovers and his car seems spot on with them. Was going to go for Meister's as I bought those for the MX5 but these were a good chunk cheaper and comparable in quality/reviews.

Ah i see...
Thats fine then :smile: thought they were permanent for a minute!

Oh god no, on for the road trips and off as soon as possible afterwards.
Did the same with my 172 Cup on our road trip earlier in 2014
10339491_630947680329680_2044417379111498866_o.jpg

Can't wait to see the finished result :]

Tell me about it Matt, everything will go on at the same time (lights, wheels, coilovers, respray) should be a pretty dramatic transformation

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
So Rob popped down to the bodyshop today (I forgot to leave the window switches with them so he dropped them off)
When he arrived the bodyshop had some bad news, the bonnet is fubar'd...'someone performed a waltz on it'.
They're supposed to be all aluminium, mine's mainly filler and a lot heavier than stock :(
As a result it's not worth saving so I now need to pick up a new bonnet, it's an expense I could do without this month but needs must.
IMG_8685.gif

IMG_8686.jpg

On the plus side they're starting on prep work already and so far haven't come across any other issues (touch wood)

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Wow, that filler! Looks like there's lots of it.

Are bonnets easy to find for these?

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Wow, that filler! Looks like there's lots of it.

Are bonnets easy to find for these?
Yeah spoke to the bodyshop myself today and there is a lot, someones definitely jumped all over it at some point. He said it's not economical to repair and even if it was I wouldn't want all that filler once the turbo's in and generating heat lol.
Luckily I have found one, got to hire a van (it's a big bonnet) and go and pick it up tomorrow. Fortunately colour doesn't matter so that helped the search.

Update:
More bad news, so the guy taking the windows out let me down, now having to pay double to get them taken out. This is going over budget rather quickly lol.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Sold the Supra, bought a Van...

IMG_8706.gif

Don't worry, I haven't really. I did however hire a van to pick up my new bonnet following the damage to my old one above.

It's black but is being resprayed with the rest of the car.
IMG_8707.gif

My facelift indicators will be going in after the respray but I decided to perform a mod to allow one to be used as a sidelight. I de-tango'd them too.

IMG_8696.jpg

IMG_8697.gif

Last edited:

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
The best update is the NA/T parts have started being delivered though :smiley:
This arrived today from the States :smile:

IMG_8711.jpg

So we have the Turbo, Intake pipe, Downpipe and Screamer pipe :smiley: The noise from the screamer should be insane.

IMG_8719.gif

Then then exhaust manifold which has some lovely welds on it

IMG_8724.gif

A front facing inlet manifold (better intercooler pipe routing, larger throttle body and best of all it should be an improvement over the stock inlet which sits over the top of the red hot turbo)

IMG_8730.gif

The turbo should be good for about 600-650 bhp (not that the gearbox will last anywhere near that long at this stage

IMG_8722.gif

Finally, less interesting but just as important is all the gaskets and seals

IMG_8720.jpg

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
I just hope you have more luck with this gearbox(s) :smiley:

Looks awesome so far!!

Haha tell me about it, would be nice to have gearbox luck for a change but I actually know this one will fail, the 5 speeds are only good for 450lb/ft or so. Some more/some less but it's generally around there.

Need a 6speed for big power really and at £3.5k for a used box and all the conversion bits it'll have to wait a while 😧

Thanks mate, can't wait to get it back from respray, wheels fitted etc. Then it really should look awesome :D

Listerine & Poledo
Do like a Supra :)
Out of interest, apart from possible rarity issues, why go for the NA then boost, instead of getting a (twin?) turbo one to begin with?
Just be sure not to end up with permanent shopping-lists or dragon-graphics up the side ;)

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
What turbo is it?
It's a T61, nothing special but I have a couple of friends who run the exact same one (@rob_sri being one) with great results and reliability.
It's possible that I'll upgrade at a later date but for now it'll do the job :smile:

Those parts look sweet. That manifold!:blush:

Thanks Philip, the manifold is lovely as are the welds on it, very happy!

Do like a Supra :smile:
Out of interest, apart from possible rarity issues, why go for the NA then boost, instead of getting a (twin?) turbo one to begin with?
Just be sure not to end up with permanent shopping-lists or dragon-graphics up the side :wink:

That's a very good question.
I fancied a project for a start and this seemed to fit the bill both in the sense that I'm modifying it myself and the partial restoration of it.
I'm also, in all honesty, impatient and terrible at saving so if I waited to save for a Turbo I'd never have made it haha. This way I get to drive around in a Supra which looks and sounds amazing and there's a constant nagging that it's not turbo'd which is driving me to get it done haha.
Don't worry, no fast and furious graphics going on here :wink:

Good read!

Thank you :D

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Not much of an update today.
I took my headlights

IMG_8737.jpg

Put them in the oven...that's what ovens are for isn't it?

IMG_8738.jpg

This softened up the glue allowing me to split the headlights

IMG_8739.jpg

This means I can refurb the lenses and also "facelift" the insides meaning I'll spray them black other then the chrome rings which I've taped up.
I'll hopefully paint these on Sunday :)

IMG_8742.jpg

Stealth 438'd 182
Do like a Supra :)
Just be sure not to end up with permanent shopping-lists or dragon-graphics up the side ;)

Everyone who wants big power tends to go single turbo on the twin turbo engines anyway even if it's just for the power delivery.. The NA lump even with a TT headgasket has slightly higher compression which makes them spool nicely and feel very responsive... And when the single turbo comes on it is just savage all the way to the redline!.. Oh and they sound nicer ;)

Best blend imo and the engines are ALOT cheaper to replace if you break it and share the same bottom end, the head flows better and as good for big power..

The na/t route allows you to build your own rocket ship.. What could be more awesome than that!!!

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
^ I was literally just about to add that lot to my earlier reasons haha. The NA-T power delivery is like nothing I've experienced before and that was just from the passenger seat :D I can not wait and as Rob says if my engine lets go then it's minimal costs to pop another NA lump in.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Everyone who wants big power tends to go single turbo on the twin turbo engines anyway even if it's just for the power delivery.. The NA lump even with a TT headgasket has slightly higher compression which makes them spool nicely and feel very responsive... And when the single turbo comes on it is just savage all the way to the redline!..

Not on a T61 though lol. Laaaaaaaaaag

Stealth 438'd 182
You'd be very surprised :p I'm running T61 lag is minimal and feels very urgent with the slightly higher compression than the GTE

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
This looks amazing! you're making me want to go down the same route lol.

Very nice!
Thank you. Do it mate, you will not regret it!

Really? That's decent!
I can verify this (well I tried to watch the boost gauge but was pinned back in the seat haha) and it was a passenger ride in Rob's that made me settle on the same T61.
To be fair the 3.0 straight six has a (relatively) large chunk of torque even N/A which I think helps a lot.

Loving the look of this :smiley:
If you get this done in time then you should pop up to to Wales again to say hello when we have the nicer weather.
Cheers, hopefully you'll all love the look of it even more in a couple of weeks :D
I'll be in Wales a few times over the summer no doubt. It's not that far from me really and there are some great roads around there as I'm sure you know :D

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Latest update - More bad news - Some nice purchases too though

So last night I made a purchase, a HKS Kansai lip, I deliberated a lot on the Lip for my car and finally settled on this.
The plan is to have it HydroDipped in Carbon Fibre, I don't know how this will hold up but it's worth a try
Supra_HKSKansai_Lip002-500x500.gif

Unfortunately the hydrodipping will be futon hold, I had a call from the bodyshop this morning. If you've read the earlier part of the thread you'd have seen my temporary fix on the boot rust. Sadly once the window came out the rust went a lot deeper, when they took an angle grinder to it they ended up making holes.

10968101_10152817885999864_1038873540_n.gif

10957965_10152817885769864_2006515460_n.jpg

It was decided that the labour involved in them cutting and welding new metal in (and the fact it needs to be perfect for window seal) combined with the fact that it will just rust again in a few years lead me to finally upgrade the boot instead.
So have ordered a Seibon bootlid

jza80cftrunklid2.gif

The boot will be painted which will no doubt split opinions 50/50 but I have some nice ideas in store so watch this space, I think it'll look very special once it's painted and fitted :smiley:

I was unable to pop by the bodyshop today due to work, Rob was nearby and as I trust his opinion I asked him to go and have a look at the boot etc and have a chat with them to discuss options. He grabbed a quick shot of it with windows out and some minor kinks repaired

10872219_10152817885444864_742751675_n.gif

Stealth 438'd 182

This is mine.. Matts is having a very similar set up! All about the screamer :D

Project is going from strength to strength Matt.. F*cking epic work mate!!! :) love this project

clio 182 trophy
f**king beast! What power is it making? One day i will have a boosted to the moon supra as a toy. One day!lol.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
If you get anywhere near the noise from the screamer pipe as this supra, you are sorted!

This is mine.. Matts is having a very similar set up! All about the screamer :smiley:

Project is going from strength to strength Matt.. F*cking epic work mate!!! :smile: love this project

Yeah looking forward to the Screamer and as above it should sound very much like Rob's.

Cheers mate, couldn't have done it without you :)

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_8782.gif

£££ worth of Clips, screws and bolts arrived from Toyota. Had difficulty removing some during the strip down so will be nice to pop new ones in :)