ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharger for 1.2 16v

Arent some of you a freindly lot!

***the inlet manifold is the easy part.....you dont need to touch it. ***

I meant the exhaust manifold, was typing in a rush, was off to the pub:oops:, typing without thinking (which is my speciality)

So the power quote is high, reading back i agree. But i still feel it would be one of the best ways to extract power from that engine. As for fueling just use bigger injectors. Im no Renault nut (hence the name) but couldnt 172 injectors flow enough fuel linked with a bigger pump, or if not get custom ones like what i am in the process of getting myself (475CC+ bring it on :D). But its with anything, if you have the $$$ then you can get the power you want.

Edde, i only mentioned it as its an old primative poxy 8v engine, and they can work it to get quite good gains, so why cant the clio get quite good gains. sorry for mentioning it;).

I think the SC route is a waste of time, and if he is going for a complete engine change i think he should just drop a 172 lump in it and fettle that instead. I dont reckon its going to be any harder than what i am doing myself at the moment

Anyway, im still going to badger the hell out of him to consider it, seeing i only live a few doors down from him.

Veedubber

problem with a 2ltr conversion is that ou neeed to change more than most people think

the most obvious one that people forget is the front suspension

i still think that fres plans are the most effective, but as i believe, ben doesnt think so

He rubbished one plan today about a certain engine transplant.

Seeing as its all secretative, i dunno if we are thinking about the same one

if it is the same one that involved an engine very similar to a rally car, then it is the same engine

wonder what he has planned now then :confused:

i think thats the one, said it could be to unreliable for every day driving. And freds every day driving is absolutley stupid amounts of miles:eek:!!

well time will come and hell end up with two cars, because we all know what hell end up doing

something completely outrageous that no-one else will think of doing

Quote: Originally posted by veedubber on 29 August 2003

He rubbished one plan today about a certain engine transplant.

Seeing as its all secretative, i dunno if we are thinking about the same one
who?

seems strange that there are more tuning companies prepared to develop parts for the 1point2 rather than the 1seven2

realistically i can only see the 1.2 gearbox taking a maximum of 120bhp with a torque figure around 100lb/ft reliably

for any serious power, you will have to change the engine, or change more than you want to

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 29 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by veedubber on 29 August 2003He rubbished one plan today about a certain engine transplant. Seeing as its all secretative, i dunno if we are thinking about the same one [/QUOTE]who?

Fred!!!

Quote: Originally posted by veedubber on 29 August 2003

Arent some of you a freindly lot!

***the inlet manifold is the easy part.....you dont need to touch it. ***

I meant the exhaust manifold, was typing in a rush, was off to the pub:oops:, typing without thinking (which is my speciality)

So the power quote is high, reading back i agree. But i still feel it would be one of the best ways to extract power from that engine. As for fueling just use bigger injectors. Im no Renault nut (hence the name) but couldnt 172 injectors flow enough fuel linked with a bigger pump, or if not get custom ones like what i am in the process of getting myself (475CC+ bring it on :D). But its with anything, if you have the $$$ then you can get the power you want.

Edde, i only mentioned it as its an old primative poxy 8v engine, and they can work it to get quite good gains, so why cant the clio get quite good gains. sorry for mentioning it;).

I think the SC route is a waste of time, and if he is going for a complete engine change i think he should just drop a 172 lump in it and fettle that instead. I dont reckon its going to be any harder than what i am doing myself at the moment

Anyway, im still going to badger the hell out of him to consider it, seeing i only live a few doors down from him.

Veedubber
Im very friendly, i just dont go easy when people make mistakes....i pounce. As for jsut using alrger injectors.......no. Fuel capacity and management is totally diff.

The only problem with his plan is the cost and the continued cost.

Quote: Originally posted by bambam on 29 August 2003

seems strange that there are more tuning companies prepared to develop parts for the 1point2 rather than the 1seven2

realistically i can only see the 1.2 gearbox taking a maximum of 120bhp with a torque figure around 100lb/ft reliably

for any serious power, you will have to change the engine, or change more than you want to
who!?

veedubber soory to sound difficult Ive just read my message again I didnt mean to sound awquard.

Instead of supercharging the 1.2 for power how about throttle bodies and letting the engine req. As you need no more torque the loads on the engine would be no more but let the engine rev to 11k and assuming the valves can flow the air the engine would make 180 hp or so. Imagine the sound of an engine at 11k wow. Also the engine could be drive round at normal power levels when the whole 180 is needed and the wear on the engine would be the same as normal.

If Fred needs a car for loads of mile and wants power why not drop a 1.9 or a 2.2 even better the 1.9 has 140hp stock and with a chip, exhaust and intercooler you must be near 190hp.

What about a twin engine car 2 *1.2 engines that would be a different type of car.

EDD

True cost is always the problem, i should know, my project is spiralling out of control at an alarming rate.

I dont understand, why larger injectors would be a no, no. Is the renault brain hard to map?(genuine Q, im the first to put my hand up to admit im still learning about them)

With our Vws we can get away with to a certain point, then we use an aftermarket EMS like i am doing myself.

Edde

***veedubber soory to sound difficult Ive just read my message again I didnt mean to sound awquard.***

No worries, i shouldnt have rushed my post so quickly, so i could get to the pub. Then i wouldnt of made myself look such an @rse with my first post:oops:

Edde, @11,000rpm it would be making closer to 240bhp, but teh std crank wont be able to go anywhere near that, yet alone the rods and pistons. The head wont flow enough, the cams wont work up there, the valve train wont stand it.

I wouldnt drive about like normal, itll be a dog below 5-6K, wear......well, youll need to check on it often, its rebuild time would be measured and logged in Hrs...not miles.

vedubber, the ECU is capable of a bit of fiddling, but you cont use it if your going to swap injections systems or turbo is as its not boost aware.

BenR

Seeing as you come across like you know a bit about clios, what would you suggest yourself if the 172 transplant was out of the question, and you fancied somehting different.

My knowledge is only really on building golfs (im just applying what i know with them), but i regulary chip in helping on Freds Clio, so any incite is always a good thing in my opinion.

plus by the looks of it my little bros could be going th renault route for his first car. so it does interest me

Im well into my old MK1s.........love them, what golf u got.

Anyway, what would i do if a 172 is out of the question.......i sure as hell wouldnt fiddle with a 1.2 or 1.6. I would either wait, or sell up and get a car with a decent engine to tune.

There are many better 1.6 engines out there to play with.

i yer mk1s are classics. I plan to renovate one to fully standard condition when i have the space to store it.

Im currently on my 3rd mk2. Building on at the moment all by myself using a 1.8 20vT engine, with DTA engine management and soon a garret gt30-r turbo and hopefully a 6speed quaife box by the time its on the road.

I agree with you though, i would go the 172 route instead. But if Freds up for being different and original, you may aswell go balls out and shock a few people with the end result

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

???????

How? it can barely take 75bhp

well mine was still intact

and that had more than 75bhp even when standard

you just got to know how to treat them

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

well mine was still intact

and that had more than 75bhp even when standard

you just got to know how to treat them
:eek:

only just mind

after crunchin 2nd to 3rd so many times i think it was well on its way

but was still in full working order, with no oil leaks

Lionel Richie

draggin an old thread out of the archives!!!!! update, im "in talks" still its on its way!!!! (after Steve taking me round the track in the Vee ive got the need for speed!!!!!!)

Veedub boyo - have you even gone near your bone shaker recently!!!!!

the polo g40 was a supercharged 1.3, and quite a fun car, the 1.2 clio if supercharged probably would be too. but expensive. would love to see it done though, and a throttle boddied one.