ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunflower dead - no compression...

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
On the way home last night engine toxic fume warning flashed then stopped then flashed again then stopped. Half a mile up the road and the engine stops with the chritmas tree warnings. Pullover and just turns over. Can see cams moving so not cambelt. Removed the plugs this morning and no compression on 3 cylinders.

Anyone got an engine for a phase 1 172 ?

Can only think its the headgasket. Will check more closely at the weekend.

Do i break it up or whizz a second engine in it ? Disappointed , it had only done 128K. Thought it was going to run forever....

330i. E30 Touring.
Whack another engine in. They're are plenty about needing cambelts for £250-300 now!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
could i drop in a 172 or a 182 ? what problems would i hit ? i would use the same ignition module etc

Lionel Richie
that'll be belt related, headgaskets are very very very rare, repair it?

use a phs1 or phs2 172 engine, 182 is hassle

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
think it is head related. can see lots of fluid on the piston crowns on 3 cylinders. belt is still in place. looks like it has been breathing heavy to so a catastrophic failure. do you have any engines Fred ?

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
i would love to but it is a question of economics. get to use my new bike now though which is nice .....

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Seen a few drop Inlet valve heads, remove the lower inlet manifold and have a look and see if a valve heads smiling back at you :dead:

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
One we did last year, Mega damage caused -

DSC01240-1.jpg

DSC01242-1.jpg

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
any coolant left in the header tank? seen a rare few headgasket failures, but only really with massive overheating after there being no coolant left

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
after closer investigation i have checked the compressions of each cylinder. reading left to right 0 psi, 30 psi, 30 psi, 150 psi. i think this is looking more and more like a headgasket. i had noticed over a few weeks that it had used a little water but put it down to a leak from a jubilee clip. i am thinking now as to whether the water system was being pressurised and that was actually creating the leak at the weakest point in the system. then on thursday it finally went pop for good resulting in the above readings. the header tank is showing full. maybe it created an airlock some weeks ago as it did get very low in the tank.

the fact that i am getting some compression leads me to believe that the valve train is ok or am i way wide of the mark.i have had a look down the inlets and as far as i can see the valves are in place and can see no alien objects from through the plug holes onto the piston crown. however on piston 1 to 3 i see moisture which is also indicated on the plugs.

can i remove the head without renault tools ?

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
sure the moisture isnt unburnt fuel from being turned over ?

whip the head of and do a leak/ pressure test then if all is well just install a new headgasket

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
just remember to loosen the cam pulleys before slackening the cambelt. You'll probably need to pin the crank, or stick a prybar in the flywheel to make this method work though

No, the main and most notable difference/issue is the difference in throttle control (cable on ph1 and electric on ph2. That said though, it's possible to put the ph2 motor in, but you will face a slight difference with the looms!

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
The Sunflower lives again !!!!!

Ripped out the old motor which turns out the crank pulley failed and decided to jam itself into the cambelt. Dont know the final result of this but serious lack of compression.

I got hold of a 85k phase 1 engine which i had belted and at the same time fitted the gearbox shaft aftermarket kit ( was like an episode of the krypton factor for any older readers). Finally got it up and running today and very happy with the final result. Thanks to Steve from Bicester for the engine.

HBT 172 Cup
How the hell did you manage that Hutch? Throw a grenade down the inlet??!!

Glad to hear the cars back on track mgoode