ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunday driver: Dirty DC2

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Well at least the buddyclub exhaust has gone, god what an awful exhaust that is. No tone to it whatsoever, just an embarrassing noise. It's a shame people put them on Dc2s as they sound awesome when in VTEC imo.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
SpoonDC2.jpg

Rear splitter/diffuser?

Deffo next on the list mate. Just not sure whether to get a 98 spec rear bumper first...

53 Clio's & counting
Green wheels look nice with the white! i'd be tempted to do something similar

I really do want a DC2, one of the cars that i'd love to own but haven't had yet

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Didn't realise that you had smaller front wheels on. Looks hard as f**k in the above picture. Bring back the canards IMO.

Canards were gay mate. They stuck out so much lol. Pretty sure I decapitated a pigeon whilst driving through Wakefield once. Heard a noise, looked in my mirror and just saw feathers! Death by canards. Not a bad way to go mind.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I like and its purposeful. Its better than seeing the true drivers car polished within an inch of its life.

Loved it with the rest of the carbon like so -

9577739478_12ac91f8cc_c.jpg

Looks quite nice clean doesn't it lol.

I need to get those wheels finished. The paint looks good there on the front but for some reason the German road dirt glued itself to them. Might ball hard and get them powder coated :p

Dunno fella, I like sharing stuff on here due to the amount of replies I get but most of them are usually negative! /bandwagon

It is a shame, as usually if I've got a negative opinion I keep it to myself, unless the OP is asking for honest answers.

Although if you want more positive answers the best place to go would be civiclife or an integra version of civiclife.

The car does look smart though, I'm trying to find one myself but as I'm only 19 and money's tight. I've got no chance haha.

Keep on going with her and keep her fresh ;)

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
It is a shame, as usually if I've got a negative opinion I keep it to myself, unless the OP is asking for honest answers.

Although if you want more positive answers the best place to go would be civiclife or an integra version of civiclife.

The car does look smart though, I'm trying to find one myself but as I'm only 19 and money's tight. I've got no chance haha.

Keep on going with her and keep her fresh ;)

I got this when I was 19, well just before my 20th. UKDMs are pretty easy on insurance with elephant so might be worth a look?

I'm on Civiclife and ITRDC2, but haven't even had a reply on the latter!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I like and its purposeful. Its better than seeing the true drivers car polished within an inch of its life.

Loved it with the rest of the carbon like so -

9577739478_12ac91f8cc_c.jpg

That was on my way to the 'ring that lol. Love those front wheels, need to get my arse in gear and refurb them!

I took the canards off as they were a bit silly, and the cosworth+type R splitters on that bumper unfortunately died a valiant death whilst showing yet another White Insignia CDTi that he cannot drive an inch off my bumper on a country road lol:
01833195-5022-42C7-99BE-C35F8A8D4438-1113-0000003D06628A52_zpsb0e824d9.gif

So it was looking quite rough for a while:
DSC_0703_zps58a9a763.gif

The bumper it wears now is one I got from a mate for a good price. I don't fancy butchering it for canards, might get some smaller ones at a later date. I quite like the smaller triangle ones that are becoming quite popular.

Call me boring but I like the OEM look on the dc2 and my ek9 for that matter. But it looks purposeful when dirty and at least your not shy of driving it to its full potential I may as well have a 1.2 the way I pot around I rarely open mine up.

Call me boring but I like the OEM look on the dc2 and my ek9 for that matter. But it looks purposeful when dirty and at least your not shy of driving it to its full potential I may as well have a 1.2 the way I pot around I rarely open mine up.

I'm the same with my clio really, it's never once touched the limiter.. I end up shifting before the pistons go into light years. Can't imagine what the b18's like.

I'm the same with my clio really, it's never once touched the limiter.. I end up shifting before the pistons go into light years. Can't imagine what the b18's like.

With the vtec units you really have to work the rev range to get anything out of them. The b16b is pretty punchy considering it's a 1.6 but i rarely go into vtec at all unless i've gone out for a spirited drive.

Hit VTEC more times when I took you out in mine eh fella? lol
In fairness it was a real shame that mine was my daily even if that was only during summer as I rarely got the opportunity to open it up properly. Sounded awesome when I did get the chance though. Still miss that car now.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i

I had it OEM for a while whilst it was driven daily and it was enjoyable sure.
8692900909_174ee3c960_z.jpg

128.jpg by DanielJames., on Flickr
8710794620_96fc7838ff_z.jpg

149.jpg by DanielJames., on Flickr

This is currently my wallpaper lol:
8709670243_1cce3f4958_z.jpg

146.jpg by DanielJames., on Flickr

That was at Cars in the Park, a few CS members were there, more pics here if interested:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danieljamesphoto/sets/72157633408696011/

Once I took it off the road and bought my 328i though, I wanted to make it naughty again.

I'm certainly more 'enjoy it while you can', rather than 'keep it mint for the next owner' kind of guy.

If the car was perhaps a really good example to start with, then perhaps I would have tried to make it a minter. Maybe one day I will, but I'm having too much fun driving it to care about the cosmetics (to a limit of course).

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Oh and before anyone starts the "that looks so much better" game, I'd like to add that I owned that car like that, and loved it dearly. I've taken on so many different looks and been through so many different parts over the 18 months I've had the car and each time I come away thinking, damn I love that car.

It's just gone a bit evil at the moment :evil:

iceberg phase 2 172
I love these cars, although Imo I rather them oem, but if we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place.. Everyone has to drive 1 at some point though to appreciate how much of a true drivers car they really are

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I love these cars, although Imo I rather them oem, but if we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place.. Everyone has to drive 1 at some point though to appreciate how much of a true drivers car they really are

Precisely mate, everything just works, and you feel so awesome sat in the Recaros.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Are these better than a DC5 or not?

How do you define better?

In general terms, a DC5 would be 'better'. I think we can trust Honda on that one.

There's a video from I think Best Motoring that directly compares the cars stock for stock, but I can't find it :(

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
As in better engine, handling, involvement etc

Engine:
The DC2 is down on power, but the DC5 is up on weight.
  • DC2 98 spec 197bhp 1080kg = (197/1080*1000) 181bhp/tonne
  • DC5 220bhp 1170kg = (217/1170*1000) 185bhp/tonne

There's not a lot in it in a straight line at all, it's quite similar to a 182 vs a 197 really.

Handling:
Handling is always down to opinion. Mechanical grip vs Mechanical grip the DC2 is very hard to beat, and Honda knew that. They both feature similar designs and technologies, such as LSD and fully independent suspension all round. The DC2 is felt to be more nimble as for driver experience, but the DC5 can carry more speed through corners, from what I've read/watched anyway. Again, very similar to the 182 vs 197/200 debate.

Involvement:
I'd say the DC2 wins this hands down. I've driven a few Honda's hard now (DC5 included) and nothing competes for driver experience. The steering is well balanced, and has great feel. The DC5s was a bit light for me, of course nowhere near as bad as an EP3s electric steering but that's another argument though haha.

I've let a few people drive my DC2 now, just based on the fact that everyone comments how raw, fun and agile it is. Everyone to this date has been surprised by its performance, the way VTEC truly did 'kick in' (y0) on the B series engines of the 90s will never get old.

I haven't driven an EK9 yet btw, if anyone's offering. Ignore the videos on page one. hehe.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'd like to give one of these a blast. After trying an ep3 for six months and been underwhelmed, be interesting to see what all the hype is about the dc2.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I like them
But after seeing my mates DC5 the other day, I prefer the looks of them more

What are the DC2's with the circle headlamps?

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I like those
Do they differ much to the JDM DC2's?

They're 10bhp less, but much less on insurance.

You can gain the 10bhp back very easily by changing the exhaust. It's the same engine essentially but the UKDM version has a 2.25" exhaust manifold opposed to the 2.5" JDM car

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I like those
Do they differ much to the JDM DC2's?

Slightly mate yes, not entirely sure on the exact differences but I'm pretty sure they are slightly lower powered, and I'm not sure the UK ones have the LSD but don't quote me on that.

I personally prefer the look of the UK ones. I wish I'd bought a DC2 instead of my civic :(

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
UK ones have an LSD. IIRC the performance difference was mainly in the manifold and ECU. JDM models have stiffer springs and thicker ARBs.