ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sump sealant to joint areas?

Just in the process of fitting some ARP bolts to my 182 replacement engine, I have a new sump gasket to go on. Reading the Haynes manual (for 1.6) as a guide, it says that Rhodorseal 5661 sealant is to be used around the oil seal housing and main bearing cap where it meets the cylinder block.

Before I commit and buy am I wasting my money, is there a better product, and does it even need it?

I can see recommence of dried squeezed out sealant around the crank oil housing, and the joins where the sump gasket meet look tight.

p.s sump bolts all came out perfectly and the inside of the sump was clean, no traces of dried sealant or metal filings...so happy days.

Cup In bits
Just use rtv silicone or similar on the 4 bits where the crankshaft end caps touch the block, the sump seal does the rest. Have you taken out the crankshaft end caps too?

No, on this 182 engine, im just changing to ARP bolts, I might change the oil crank seal (flywheel end). Im also keeping the OEM cams in on this set up.

Why would you advise on not putting sealant on it then unless I have removed the end caps?

Cup In bits
You need to seal in the crank end caps on these engines by pumping silicone down the sides, what I'm saying is put a spot of silicone on the 4 points where the crank caps touch the block then whack the sump on.

Hopefully someone can put up the Renault pic to show what I mean.

Thanks guys, think I will get the loctite stuff as as Halfords is only down the road.

Cheers Morgan, I actually forgot I had the workshop study guide, says what you just mentioned.

presentation1j.jpg

So on these ARP bolts, is 46 lb ft (62nm) correct, tighten and release 3 times, on 3rd time leave. Done a search on here but a few different torque settings have cropped up. I dont have a angle gauge will this be a problem?

Question, does the assembly lube only get applied to the thread of the bolts or the entire length?