ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suggestions for spinning front subframe bolts

Clio 182,vvc metro
Hi,

How have people solved this problem in the past?

Both front bolts are spinning on my 182

Tried using a pry at on the washer to try push the bolt down whilst hitting it with the gun and also tried a pry at between the subframe and the chassis,no luck.

It feels as thought I wouldn't be able to get a spanner in due to how the locking clip/bracket sits over the nut inside the chassis.

Anyone any ideas?

Was going to cut the head off them but I think the grinder will foul the sides of the mount point on the chassis before cutting the bolt head off.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Break off the cage holding the nut, then get a spanner in there.
This.
Get a flat head screw driver in there, break the metal bracket thingy and that gives you room to get a spanner in there.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
The fronts you can get with a socket the rear with a spanner although the rear was a b**ch.

This is why I'm not going to attempt to take mine off for powdercaoting. My luck would be all them spinning!

Hope you get it fixed.

Yours will be easy, just lube them up well, leave for a day then crack at it, with the engine out you can get in to all 4 no problem!

Best thing to do is if they start getting tight, tighten it back up, more wd40 then listen again, might need to do that a few time depending how bad the bolts are

Clio 182,vvc metro
Got them out this morning just by breaking the brackets out as suggested,thanks for the tip! Can't believe I didn't think of it to be honest lol but thought they'd be a bit more robust than they are.

Thanks again for the help!

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
Wow . I must off been luck with mine. The rear ones were so tight I needed a small scaffold bar on my braker bar. Bit of lock tight after sorts it all out

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Yours will be easy, just lube them up well, leave for a day then crack at it, with the engine out you can get in to all 4 no problem!

Best thing to do is if they start getting tight, tighten it back up, more wd40 then listen again, might need to do that a few time depending how bad the bolts are

Hmm might fire it off then, as its something I'd love to do. Is it only 4 bolts? Is lock tight recommended when re fitting?

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
I dont think it is but better safe than sorrt. Cant do any harm. Its not like its gonna have to come off anytime soon once u have re fitted it.

Yep just 4 bolts.

JON FOZ

ClioSport Club Member
  EVO 6
Arran,it's not just a case of removing 4 bolts to remove the subframe if you're thinking of just taking it off to powder coat it,in fact there is quite a bit to remove

Jon

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers for the info, will probably lock tight them then as you say better safe than sorry!

Yeah I know there's other bits to remove Jon, just want aware it was only 4 bolts holding it up. Engines out so the rest should be easily removed.