ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subframe removal.. easy?!

330i. E30 Touring.
I'm mid-swap in my gearbox change. I've got the old box out, and a new one ready to go back in, but getting the old one out was a f**king nightmare! How easy is it to drop the subframe? I've dropped it a few inches, but want to see hoe easy it'll be to drop to the floor?

330i. E30 Touring.
Yeah, all the bolts have been undone, and I've dropped it down a few inches, but is there any reason it can't be removed completely? Steering rack an issue?

Clio 172
your wishbones are connected to the subframe, which are connected to your hubs, which are connected to your shock absorbers, which are connected to your car. undo your strut top mounts and you should be able to drop the subframe. also, your driveshafts are connected to your hubs, but these shouldnt be an issue if the gearbox is already out of the car. then your steering rack is connected to the subframe, but this is only joined to your hubs, so just make sure its disconnected from your steering column.

think thats close enough to correct, open to correction tho:)

330i. E30 Touring.
Ah right. Yeah, all the hubs etc. are off. Driveshafts out. Just want to make it easier for me to get the new box back in!

there are a few more things you'll need to be careful of - heater hoses, wiring, etc

ed. brake lines

Last edited:
  2005 Nissan Navara
Remove pinch bolt from the rack to the column, tie bars between chassis legs and subframe, and it should come down a good foot or so.

Slacken the drivers side bolts by an inch, and remove the passenger side ones completely.

RB 182 cup
undo the 4 bolts holding the rack on, they face the back of the car, if i remember 1 is a c*nt to do. undo both lower ball joint bolts and remove the joint from the hub. then 4 subframe bolts, be carefull on the fronts and try to oil the threads b4 as if you break the captive nuts there very annoying to get out. theres also a few hoses etc to unclip but thats it. quite easy, took me 2.5 hours to swap one over.

mk4 golf gttdi180
undo the one side of the subframe completely and just lever the subframe, this should give you the extra inch+ that you need. then lift the back of the box in first, you may ned to jack the car up higher unless you have it on a ramp?