ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped 172 Turbo

172//Crap Micra//Bus
I keep reading this, I guess I should comment LOL!!

Great work buddy, that engine bay is superb... looking bloody amazing!!

Big Kudos

Lionel Richie
Fred, yes I did re check the timing/ tension and everything looked to be as it should be. Thanks for you advise though mate and if it all goes wrong please don't say told you so!!

oh i will!!! its my hobby ;) haha only joking

thats a gates/QH cambelt kit as that isn't a renault oe tensioner, but i'm 100% sure that belt tension is wrong

the little sticky out bit on the back of the tensioner is in the correct slot i assume?

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)

thats a gates/QH cambelt kit as that isn't a renault oe tensioner, but i'm 100% sure that belt tension is wrong

the little sticky out bit on the back of the tensioner is in the correct slot i assume?
Mine looks the same as that

Lionel Richie
here you go
tensioner.jpg

Just read this thread took me bout an hour but well worth it! This car looks amazing and im very envious lol any idea how much it all cost or do you try not to think about it lol money well spent in my opinion!

Stage 2 172 Turbo

Yes mate, 'sticky out bit' is in the correct slot, only one place it can go iirc. As far as the make, I haven't got a clue, kit was bought from Renault but may not be oe tensioner.

ITB'd MK1
there's 2 types of oe tensioner, yours is one I've seen a few of so that's not an issue. does look like it's the wrong way up, but if the cut out is lined up, it wont cause an issue, the tensioner works on an eccentric cam, just looks like you've gone past the point of maximum tension and back down.

Stage 2 172 Turbo
there's 2 types of oe tensioner, yours is one I've seen a few of so that's not an issue. does look like it's the wrong way up, but if the cut out is lined up, it wont cause an issue, the tensioner works on an eccentric cam, just looks like you've gone past the point of maximum tension and back down.

Cut outs are 100% lined up, checked, double checked and even took it all off and started again. Every time the allen key point (B) endded up in that position to get points 6&7 to be aligned correctly. Don't think there will be any issues ( will be kept very quiet if there is now though:eek: lol)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Just read through all of this, looking forward to videos and pics of the finished thing. Would love to do something like this if I had the cash and knowledge :]

'92 172, Lotus Elise
you only align cut out B and point 7, you ignore 6!!

have you aligned 6 and 7?? thats incorrect

eh?

I initially did mine aligning B and 7, but was told this was wrong (and the belt wasn't very tight) and so I re-did it aligning 6 & 7...

Lionel Richie
oops, yeah i'm talking s**t, appologies! haven't done one for a few months

note - always refer back to the manual!

6 and 7 align and you ignore B

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Been a while but at last she is finished as far as the work I can do for the time being and is now in K-tec's capable hands for the final mapping etc.

Finished engine bay:D

11months014.jpg

And finally on her way to K-tec. Only just left and already can't wait to get it back and drive it for the first time.

11months018.jpg

11months019.jpg

Has come a long way since I go it just over a year ago but there is still loads to do.
Thanks to everyone for taking time to read my thread so far, I will keep you all updated once its back and as I said there is plenty left yet!!!

Chris

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Looking ace! Fairplay to you mate for the amount of time/work that you have put into it!

Hope you get some screws in that carbon engine cover before going for a drive :rasp:

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Carbon splitter is in my loft awaiting her return, wouldn't have gone on the trailer if I had fitted before;)

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Looking ace! Fairplay to you mate for the amount of time/work that you have put into it!

Hope you get some screws in that carbon engine cover before going for a drive :rasp:

Lol, yeah, cover was only placed on for the picture:eek:. will fit properly once finished

V6 255 (Illiad Blue)
Christ, heres me about to buy a ph2 V6 and I'm now in two minds whether to do something similar to the ol 172. Immense work, very well done mate, Looking forward to the update once shes back from K-tec

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Quality thread and project, What are you plans for the car? Track or daily use?

Stunning motor mate :)

Won't be daily use, tbh probably won't get used as much as I would like. Going to try and get a few track days in when I can but I don't get much time away from work at the moment

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Its been a long wait but got her back from ktec last week, still got to run the new engine in and only have low boost at the moment - about 10psi which should be around 230bhp but my god its fast. Cant wait for the remaing 600 miles to be complete so I can get everything re-mapped, boost controller fitted and turn the boost up to give me 280-300bhp:D.

The sound is amazing, sounds like a bloddy rally car!! Will get some vid's up once I've recharged the video camera.

Chris.

Stage 2 172 Turbo
Videos may have to wait a bit longer, this is the current state of my car:dead:.

001-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Not as bad as it looks, the PAS pump decided it didn't want to play anymore and let go big time! ended up driving 20 miles with fluid smeared all over the windscreen in the rain, and hoping the pump didn't seize and throw the belt off into the cam belt.

Have only had time to do 430 miles so far so still running her in but will get some video's up once its fixed.......again:eek:

Cheers
Chris

Gez

Yozza'd 182 RB 188bhp
what a shame. but looks amazing mate. top job, bet you cant wait till its run-in.