ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

strange engine noise 1.6 8v

clio 1.6 8v
Hi (1st sorry for the essay but read on as it cannot be put in a nutshell)

I'm trying to find a solution to a strange engine noise coming from my friend's car as she's constantly being ripped off by garages who are charging her loads and the car remains the same.She's a single mother and can't afford to pay out any more so this is why i'm looking at it and i'm no mechanic.

The problem is that when the car reaches around 30 mph and more a strange noise which i can only say sounds like another engine at first quietly appears then builds up to a very disturbing sound. I have released the accelerator pedal and pushed in the clutch to put the car into idle with the car still moving and the noise stays for around 5 seconds then slowly fades away, even though the engine is idling just uner 1000 rpm at this moment.The garage she took it to has changed the flywheel sensor twice and charged her twice for this even though it has made no difference.

I'm wondering if air is escaping under pressure to cause this noise? The car occasionally stalls at r-bouts and traffic lights so the accelerator pedal needs to be slightly pressed to stop from stalling. I also think the car is too slow for a 1.6 and pushes the idea towards a leak of air from around the engine itself causing a loss in power?

The car is a 1.6 clio mk 2, 8v

Can anyone help please?

Clio 1.6 16v 2000
if its leaking air it would prob run like a dog and it may not be any noisier! one way to find out is when its runnin, loosen the oil filler cap and see if there is any change to the idle of the car (watch out for oil flinging out tho).
would like to think that if its a sensor fault then it would have a fault code flashing up. the fact that shes had the same part replaced twice could mean theres somethin happeneing to kill the sensor????