ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stock HU aftermarket everything else

kjf

RSC172 ph2
Hello all,
Really making some solid plans for my little ph2 172 :approve:

I've got all engine/exterior organised for now, but now I'm focusing on sound.

Right, the stock HU from the clio - is it suitable? I know it wouldn't have much output, I'm thinking of getting alpine type R splits, but I don't really want to change the HU (i don't like head units that look out of place...like every HU on the market right now!)

Two questions:

1. Get 2 amps, one amp powers 2 front speakers, 2nd amp powers sub, head unit powers rear speakers (they will be stock clio). Will this work? IF I were to amp the fronts rather than buying a whole new head unit?

Also - what's the wiring/connections like (this is question 2 :rasp:) on the back of the stock HU, because I want to re-wire everything too with good quality cable.
It's just if I were to buy a new HU i'd be spending about 500, and that's my budget gone almost! So if I can amp the two fronts, have two rears running off the HU and also amp the rear sub. I might just get one amp and bridge it or something.

Anyway -
Should I amp it all and keep stock HU (what will be my sacrifices, be honest - i know i won't be sacrificing the stock look, the led screen and the hand controls!)

Are the connections for the back of the HU f*cked? (Could someone get a pic)

I know I ramble a lot, and I'm sorry

any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Karl

vaux cavalier
The single most important item in any chain is its weakest link, because thats where all the problems start....

In your proposed audio chain the weakest link is the stock head unit....

Absolutely no point strengthening other areas without addressing this weakest link....

Even using a JL Audio 'Clean Sweep' won't improve matters, no amount of audio processing can replace whats lost, quality wise, by the stock head unit....

Mk2 172
The single most important item in any chain is its weakest link, because thats where all the problems start....

In your proposed audio chain the weakest link is the stock head unit....

Absolutely no point strengthening other areas without addressing this weakest link....

Even using a JL Audio 'Clean Sweep' won't improve matters, no amount of audio processing can replace whats lost, quality wise, by the stock head unit....

Hes right. The JL clean sweep is an amazing product but you cant beat a good old headunit. Its the main control unit in the end!!!

Evo 8 MR
There are units out there that fit in nicely though, If I had a pic of mine I'd show you it's black and you can change its illumination to red so fits in really well as I pondered over the same matter when I was looking for a new unit but what it comes down to is how much are you willing to spend?