ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticky console buttons?

ST1050, 320d
Any have any ideas how to shift some sort of sticky residue out (previous owner...) from behind a couple of buttons on my climate control unit? Can't remove the buttons so need something to break it down without scrubbing etc. Also, don't want to knacker the electrics obviously...

​Cheers

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Have you tried using a tooth pick to get in the gap? I wouldn't want to use any water around the buttons personally

ST1050, 320d
Yeah, unfortunately I think a fair bit has gathered behind the buttons themselves. Just tried some gt85, has loosened them up but I don't know if it will work for very long...

Cup In bits
Some brake cleaner and blow out with an airline should do the job. I would remove the battery's while doing so as a precaution.

Once these are removed the front cover pops off and you should be able to clean it properly.

Some brake cleaner and blow out with an airline should do the job. I would remove the battery's while doing so as a precaution.

That might cause the black covering to flake off.

ST1050, 320d
It's not actually a Clio, I should have mentioned. Pretty sure if I try and remove any of the buttons they'll break off. I'll try the airline idea next I think.

ST1050, 320d
I think I've managed to just about sort it, if it returns I have actually got some thermal surface cleanser I might try for PC components.

182 Trophy #333
Is it ArctiClean? I wouldn't trust it on plastic as it tends to eat through decals etc, its designed to purify surfaces completely to aid heat transfer, be safer using some form of isopropyl based cleaner imo