ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticky Caliper through Handbrake Mech = ABS/SERV/Traction Light?

ABS/SERV and Traction Light have been on Soph's car for a few weeks now. Had a sniff around it today checking the ABS rings (fronts are fairly crusty but not cracked), and noticed the N/S/R caliper sticking. After playing with that, it appears the piston isn't retracting after the handbrake is released, despite the bits behind the big rubber boot looking almost factory fresh.

I'm just wondering whether the ABS system is advanced enough to throw up a fault if it detects one wheel possibly out of sync with the other 3 speed wise? I tried reading the fault code but my reader wouldn't have it.

Also, is it possible to rebuild the handbrake mechs, all I can find are seal kits which won't stop it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It knows if a wheel isn't spinning correctly yes. Very much likely to be your issue

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It depends what's wrong with it but I believe they can be rebuilt. You can deffo strip and service them and I believe Big Red sell a kit.

It's sticking on when the handbrake is released. Normal brake wise it's fine.

EDIT: That Bigg Red kit is just seals, which aren't going to fix this!

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Handbrake mechs have been seizing on these since way back when. Its mega common and easily fixed providing nothing is broken by cleaning up and re-greasing.

Exactly the same calliper on the older cars to as my R19 was always doing it.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It depends on what has gone wrong but normally its the handbrake mech which just needa cleaning, working and covering in penetrating oil to free then clean it up and lube before putting the dust covers back on.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Either that or the piston is stuck and not retracting properly. Maybe best to just take it off the car and get it on a bench and in a vice.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
driving in the snow with it sticking is not good. The abs, traction control and service light all came on. Is it just a case of caliper off and clean?