ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sticking Throttle

Ph1 V6
When I drop down gears in my 172 the throttle cable seems to be sticking and its over-revving.It normally sticks somewhere between 1000-2000 RPM. Its easily rectified by poking my foot under the throttle pedal. I reckon it must be the throttle cable has perished because I had a similar problem in my old Valver before it snapped.

Does anyone know roughly how much a throttle cable will set me back and whether they are the same for all trim levels or whether Sports have different cables.

Also is it easily doable yourself? Don't really wanna pay out an hour or two labour if it can be done myself with a helping hand. Managed to do my old Valver one Ok.

BMW E46 330i Touring
I have the same issue and have been told that it is due to a slightly bent butterfly valve on the throttle getting stuck open occasionally. This could, however, be rubbish.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Yeah, be good to find out properly. With mine, however, I 'blip' the throttle to get the revs to drop, as it doesn't stick if they drop quickly from a higher rev point, only if they're around 2k revs for a while...

MERCEDES CLS AMG
common fault on mk1 172 clios and standard 98 - 2000 models. Renault actually did a re-call on these as the metal cables fray causing them splines to stick into the outer plastic casing giving a sticking effect. This eventually leads to the cable snapping.

tech note 4077D

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
MATT BLACK said:
common fault on mk1 172 clios and standard 98 - 2000 models. Renault actually did a re-call on these as the metal cables fray causing them splines to stick into the outer plastic casing giving a sticking effect. This eventually leads to the cable snapping.

tech note 4077D

So if I called the dealer quoting this they'd fix it, on a 6 year old car? :)

Ph1 V6
Think I might pay Simpkins Renault in Chandlers Ford a visit on Monday and see if there is any chance they might sort it.