ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stereo turns off with engine but not on with it

172 cup
First of all the car in question is a golf mk4, second of all the stereo is a pioneer unit

I replaced the standard head unit today and as the title says it dosn't automatically turn on with ignition you have to manually turn it on, but when you turn ignition off it automatically turns off. Never have been good with electrics, so hoping some stereo guru can help. Also I dont think its saving radio channels stored once its turned off then on again. Any help appreciated

172 cup
It was a straight plug in effort, dont exactly fancy swopping wires round because you 'think' it will cure it

Polo + Micra
on the pioneer loom there will be an option to swap them

no need to be like that is there;)

As said, funny attitude when someone's trying to help :S

When you turn the radio back on, does it save all your presets, start back on the same station as when you turned it off?
Chances are its not, so every time you turn off the ignition its resetting, which is why it won't come back on again.

As said, in the second post, try switching the red and yellow wires over on the loom. They will have bullet connectors on specifically for this purpose.

Mk2 Ph2 1.2
Switch the yellow and red over, Jobs a gooden. Nothing can break there both lives. They will have little plugs on them.

172 cup
I apologies if I cam across arsey with my last reply, thinks sometimes can come across wrong in writing.

Ok thanks guys Ill give it a go, can anyone explain as to why this would cure it?

Red and Yellow wires are power.
One is a permanent 12v feed, the other is a 12v feed that goes on and off with the ignition.
Headunit will only power on when power goes through both wires.
The constant 12v feed retains all the settings.
On some cars ignition/permanent feed are switched around, so when you turn ignition off, there is no permanent feed.
Therefore every time you turn off, the radio is losing all power, and resetting, so therefore won't turn back on by itself, or save settings.