ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steeting twitchy at speed. Losing patience

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Recently I've done a huge amount of work to my 182 as the steering felt really twitchy and had the tendency to snap to one side of the other quite easily. After changing the parts it is better but by no means does the car feel tight. I can only describe it as it feels like there is a strong wind when there isn't at all. The steering doesn't feel tight like I would expect and feels like it loads up and then releases by swerving a bit.

New parts on the car
Genuine wishbones and ball joint
Top mounts
Inner and outer track rods
Rack bushes
4 brand new uniroyal rainsports
Shocks on the car are about 30k old, no leaking.

We're going away soon as I'm desperate to get it sorted as soon as possible for a 2500 mile round trip.

Car is on eibach sport kit so camber is more than usual.
42D54186-7DED-41A1-B923-13C1C1088DA6_zpsmoq5kwuq.jpg

Does the steering feel light ?

i'd be looking at caster , and seeing what that's reading as that has an effect, did this start before you changed wishbones?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Does the steering feel light ?

i'd be looking at caster , and seeing what that's reading as that has an effect, did this start before you changed wishbones?
Only feels a bit light in the middle. Like in an old car. Yeah was like this before changing the wishbones too. As Renault only supply the additional caster wishbones now I've got those.

What tyres are fitted?
Uni royal rain sport 3 all round 195/50/15

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Change your tyres front to backs, this cured it for me and a few others with these tyres fitted.
Will do although they were all brand new when fitted. Put the wheels with the biggest weights on the back :)

they are a very soft side walled tyre, do you have a different set you could try?
It's amazing how much of a difference tyre sidewalls make to the feel of mine
They are you're right. I had rainsport 2's before and 16s and still had the same problem annoyingly. This isn't happening when giving it some though, it happens when I'm on the motorway cruising. Ren can feeling it moving underneath us from the passenger seat too.

RB Clio 182
Will do although they were all brand new when fitted. Put the wheels with the biggest weights on the back :)

They are you're right. I had rainsport 2's before and 16s and still had the same problem annoyingly. This isn't happening when giving it some though, it happens when I'm on the motorway cruising. Ren can feeling it moving underneath us from the passenger seat too.

All mine were brand new too.

PH2 172
This isn't happening when giving it some though, it happens when I'm on the motorway cruising. Ren can feeling it moving underneath us from the passenger seat too.
I`ll be amused if you say you went and did 2500 miles round Europe without a problem,and then the problem reoccured the moment you left Dover on the way home.
The South of Englands road are worn out and literally falling apart.
I`m sure there is a single word that would describe that.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
this is the one from my cup track car.
F4C878E0-2213-4F63-9AAD-52453EBBB188_zpsglr3ezom.jpg

This is the one from my old DCi with 172 running gear.
DCi%20Tracking_zpsjha9bmzs.jpg

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Rear toe should be centralised...It'll make the car feel as though it's pulling to oneside..in your case...the back ends trying to run around to the left hand side as you've got a slight amount of toe out on the left rear and a high amount of toe in on the right rear. So in theory your back wheels are doing this "|-\" when they should be like "|-|"

This should see you right as it's out on the rear right by 20' (20mins)
http://pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=126&model=5
You may be able to source a 5' (5mins) shim elsewhere for the rear left. :up:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Still got this problem, haven't touched the rear beam but convinced it's something else. The steering feels a bit loose in the middle and then the resistance kicks in and the car turns.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Steering fluid - is it old and dark or still red, I'd bleed it and put a fresh lot in. You have a few other cars so do they feel better than this car on the same stretch of road? I thought once mine had an issue until I started driving another way to work, tried it on the old route and it was apparent this was a worn road surface causing a weird handling issue.

PH2 172
Still got this problem, haven't touched the rear beam but convinced it's something else. The steering feels a bit loose in the middle and then the resistance kicks in and the car turns.
The more I think about it,the rear beam bushes are worn,allowing the tram tracks on the M2 to steer the car.
Or the rack is worn,though I know you have had enough Clio`s that you would recognise this.

Last edited: