ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering wheel melt - I know why.

Took the 197 in for a 24K service today and not too happy. I asked them to look at the melting steering wheel (still in warranty). They said it was fair wear and tear. However, I have a roadhawk car surveillance device in the car so I had a good look through it since I got back. Not sure why my ignition was on for nearly two hours but it picked up everything the spanners said when they were adressing the melting steering wheel. They agree that the sagging is there, much different to the left side but they came out with some right old tosh. "he must have a ring on his finger and he's causing the problem with his grip"!! His colleague agrees with that diagnosis, third man says leave it to the warranty bloke. I can't believe these blokes are allowed near a car and that they aren't aware of the issue.

They called me at 12 to say I can't pick the car up til 4PM but the video shows it was finished & parked up at 12 midday!! why on earth would they do that. So far not a good experience but at least we can all sleep safe now we know what causes it.

Call the dealer principal, explain all that. Don't be rude or shout, but say how unhappy you are and given your proof, you're going to speak to RUK regarding his dealership and his staff.

He'll s**t it and you'll get a new wheel.

Golf GTD Mk7
lol love it, dealer spying :approve: I don't think there will ever be a unified view on the melting wheels. it will cost renault too much money.

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
I've got one of those Roadhawks and the last time mine went to Renault they too left the ignition on (left the key card in anyway) so I had a nice video to watch the workshop comings and goings lol

I've got one of those Roadhawks and the last time mine went to Renault they too left the ignition on (left the key card in anyway) so I had a nice video to watch the workshop comings and goings lol

Same here, nice toolchests/workshop but time on the car equates to around 20 minutes.

Barge
Go back.

"I'm not happy with your diagnosis regarding my steering wheel. Your chaps said it was due to wearing a ring. I don't even wear a ring. I'm pretty sure you'll be familiar with the problems Renault had regarding the melting of steering wheels on the Phase 2 Clio - if you aren't then RUK will certainly be. I'm not at all happy, especially as this car is not even out of warranty - I expected much better quality for my money not something which deteriorates the quality of my car when it's barely X years old. I've seen some terrible melting on the Phase 2 wheels, I thought this could have at least been improved in the 197 - and it seemed as though it had been - and now this happens. I'm very disappointed."

Done.

Wonderful, Renault customer service have been in touch and are arranging a replacement steering wheel at no charge. A great chap named Dimos Samsatli has been on my case and as well as advising me about the replacement, he says I should go to town on the dealership (Franchise) and demand a refund for the service. For anyone else in this situation, I will provide a reference number that can be used if you have a steering wheel issue. 1-184171194.

Clio 200 Cup
Took the 197 in for a 24K service today and not too happy. I asked them to look at the melting steering wheel (still in warranty). They said it was fair wear and tear. However, I have a roadhawk car surveillance device in the car so I had a good look through it since I got back. Not sure why my ignition was on for nearly two hours but it picked up everything the spanners said when they were adressing the melting steering wheel. They agree that the sagging is there, much different to the left side but they came out with some right old tosh. "he must have a ring on his finger and he's causing the problem with his grip"!! His colleague agrees with that diagnosis, third man says leave it to the warranty bloke. I can't believe these blokes are allowed near a car and that they aren't aware of the issue.

They called me at 12 to say I can't pick the car up til 4PM but the video shows it was finished & parked up at 12 midday!! why on earth would they do that. So far not a good experience but at least we can all sleep safe now we know what causes it.

One of the salesmen at Chester Renault told me the melting was caused by handcream, and that he would have to knock £450 off the trade-in value of my 172 Cup to allow him to fit a new wheel before he sold it on. Im not being funny, I've never used handcream in my life. Renault simply failed to specify a steering wheel material that is compatable with human hands, and I'm suprised they were still getting it wrong with the 197's.
Needless to say, I didnt trade it in.

Megane RS 250
I don't get why aftermarket steering wheels have nice and durable leather while at renault they keep using this S**T

My car came with a ghastly aftermarket wheel, I was going to replace it with an original used one but then i saw how they become after a year or so, especially if you leave the car on the road, under the sun...my nardi wheel has a year and seems as good as new, the leather is soft and grippy.

Lots of Alfas
Its really frustrating that renault never learn from their design flaws/picking poor quality materials, the 172ph1, 172ph2, 182 and now 197 all had this problem. Also it must be 10X worse in warmer countries..

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its always the R/H side nearest the drivers door window. Imo its the heat of the sun the causes it. The window magnifies its strength. I bet in L/H drive countries the melting is on the L/H of the wheel. Its poor materials tbh. Just picked up a Fiesta Zetec S on a 06 plate for the gf and the wheel in that is A1

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Roadhawk thing record the speed? Is that what's in the blue bit in the centre? I'm thinking of getting one as I'm fed up of nobhead drivers lieing to the insurance company.

Roadhawk thing record the speed? Is that what's in the blue bit in the centre? I'm thinking of getting one as I'm fed up of nobhead drivers lieing to the insurance company.

Yes, gives speed in mph/kph, g-force readings (potholess) impact and ties into google maps. All date/time stamped. I got one for insurance purposes and paid £189 for it from a caravan equipment supplier.