ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering skips/jumps/scrapes when stationary after washing

gdw

RS Clio 172
This seems to have started happening since yesterday after I jet washed my car (not the engine bay) basically when parking or turning corners at a very low speed it feels like the wheels are scraping/jumping across the floor, almost like the tyres are flat, this can be felt in both footwells.

What could it be, I expect it could be the pump, but could it be a belt, a pulley etc, how is the system built, i.e is it all driven from the alternator.

I've already booked it in with a mechanic for tomorrow, but thought i'd try and use the forum to gather some background information.

Thanks
Gary

172 Ph1
First of all what surface are you on?
Secondly will it do it with a dry car and tyres. Reason i ask is because if the tyres are wet they will skip on certain surfaces because the wet tyre slips and this is nothing to worry about. Its worst on a tiled workshop floor IMO.

gdw

RS Clio 172
Sorry bud, normal road tarmac outside my house, tyres are dry now.

This feeling is felt through the steering wheel, sorry if my description is vague its like the power steering is not turning my wheels smoothly.

gdw

RS Clio 172
Would the belt slipping cause a strange feeling through the steering wheel?

Petrol Blue 182
I have this very same problem when on full lock and moving forward at slow speeds, what a horrible feeling it really is. I'd appreciate a reply to this too as id like to know whats causing it

gdw

RS Clio 172
My mechanic just called me, he says its the belt and tensioner apparently the belts catching on the tensioner. £60.90 for the Aux kit from Renault (trade discount) plus labour. I don't know much more about it at the moment since I was travelling and couldnt speak to him very well.

Petrol Blue 182
No mate, found out after doing some searching, its actually x2 inserts that go behind the top mounts, there £10 from Renault apparently :)