ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering on 172/cup/182/cup/trophy

Guys just a quick question

How do you find the steering and response of your vehicles.

Since buying my 172cup from new it feels very twitchy and sensitive, it likes to pull alot especially on bumpy rough surfaces i have to hold on for dear life if the roads are terrible, its not so bad when crusing, but find it hard to keep the car in a straight line without having to adjust the steering all the time.

I know that many forum users have posted topics like this but is it normal for the cars to be like this.

Trackings fine, tyre pressures fine 31psi front 29psi rear i last tracked the car 1 month ago.

i would love to know if you guys experience the same thing or is me.

Cheers

had all 4 tracked, it was done via laser alignment, its always been like this even before it was tracked, it feels over sensitive if that makes sense.

Mini Cooper S sport
Yeah my 172 always felt VERY twitchy and went all over the place on uneven surfaces. My 182 is better, but still hard to control at times (like if you brake hard). I had all the tyre pressures checked and decided it must just be the way they are.

Boxster S
Same here with mine, but it just doesn't feel right. Spent the last 2 weeks driving something much heavier and it felt so much better. I've got to take mine back into Renault soon to have a look at something else, might see if they think it's ok.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Mine never feels that bad. Suppose it will always be the tendency of a front wheel drive hot hatch to tramline.

VaVa
JillyB said:
Robs williams is solid as a rock. Very stable.

Talking about yourself in the third person? ;)

You're going mad man!!

My car would be solid as a rock if it never went over 25mph. :clown:

Elise/VX220/R26
steering on my 172 was sublime, one of the things I miss having the over assisted megane 225, but it was VERY twitchy at speed and nose heavy which is something I dont miss. A great car for zipping about on country lanes but I never felt safe doing serious speed in it, the back end seemed like it was just waiting to bite all the time

PH1 Oddy, M140i
It need to be said that your are driving a drivers car....the 'twitch' serves you as a reminder that your in a serious car that needs serious attention...if you want stable and boring buy a focus dude, and leave the men to drive the clio's.......ok that doesn't sound quite right!!!!!!! you catch my drift though

Hmm, I've actually got the same problem on my 1.2 but thought it was because the engine is very light. When I have driven 182's I've not found this to be an issue at all and though it was all to do with the weight on the front of the car... how wrong I was!