ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering feels off?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
hey

Noticed today my steering feels off.

Seems to move about in its own, only thing i noticed was it has been windy today.

Should i have it checked?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Tie rod ends and inner tie rods can cause sloppiness. But so can many other things.:)
That's a much better word to use. Sloppiness.!

That's what it feels like. Sloppy. Doesn't feel sharp like it should.

Those parts, are they cheap? If its a simple enough job i don't mind putting her on stands and changing them :)

Have managed to do Exhaust and Lambda Sensors so far, Next is the New Dogbone with the better mounts. So could do those at the same time.

172 cup (again)
Just to give you an idea of what it could be, i had a 172 cup back in 2004 and it was pin sharp to drive. I returned to 172 cup ownership 2 years ago and picked up a 30k mile car but it just didnt drive like my old one. Over the last 24 months (having covered 20k miles) I have changed tie rod inners and ends, ball joints, new genuine shocks and eibach proline springs all round, polybush dog bone mount and new kyb top mounts and although a huge improvement on what it was when i got it 2 years ago, something is still a miss. The latest purchases are genuine arb and steering rack bushes and i intend to get these fitted next week - im hoping this will bring the car back to what i remember!!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Ok.

So i have put together a small shopping list for the summer holidays (my time off work)

Powerflex DogBone mount.
Steering Rack Bushes (uprated ones)
Arb Bushes
"Possible" Inner Tie rods and ends If required.

The cars going to the garage to have the Timing reset as im suffering below par MPG, i will have them quickly go over the odds and sods under the car to make sure of what i need to replace if anything.
Might have it MOT'd whilst i am there too.

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Ok.

So i have put together a small shopping list for the summer holidays (my time off work)

Powerflex DogBone mount.
Steering Rack Bushes (uprated ones)
Arb Bushes
"Possible" Inner Tie rods and ends If required.

The cars going to the garage to have the Timing reset as im suffering below par MPG, i will have them quickly go over the odds and sods under the car to make sure of what i need to replace if anything.
Might have it MOT'd whilst i am there too.

Id just go for oem rubbers tbh inless you track the car? But im sure i recall a thread you started about wanting a nicer ride.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Id just go for oem rubbers tbh inless you track the car? But im sure i recall a thread you started about wanting a nicer ride.

yea im looking for a nicer ride tbh. But also want the best from the car.

They are the same price tbh.

Regarding your pm. I managed to get a Genuine exhaust from ebay - Was a Stupid bargain @ £40 so did my impulse buying thing!

106GTI / NovaC20LET
yea im looking for a nicer ride tbh. But also want the best from the car.

They are the same price tbh.

Regarding your pm. I managed to get a Genuine exhaust from ebay - Was a Stupid bargain @ £40 so did my impulse buying thing!

No bother mate i did take the piss getting back to you lol.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I also have done a entire front end refresh but using after maket parts instead of standard renault items apart from on the wishbones, its made a HUGE improvement on the car, the last thing i have to change is the rack bushes which should hopefully tighten the last part up nicely, if not its time for a new steering rack :)

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Best setup for street imo is:

cooksport of similar lowering springs
whiteline arb
15inch lightweight wheels tyre size 195 50 15
oem rubbers refresh throughout the entire front end including rack ends, track rods and lower ball joints.

Do those mods and you'll have a absolute weapon which also rides relatively well

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I managed to score some 15" fox alloys. Will be sticking 195/50/15 or 195/55/15 on them.
Not too sure on lowering the car to be honest. I'm sure that would stiffen up the ride, which for me would cause unwanted back pain (recent spinal fractures).
Would you think the powerflex bushes would be better than the oem rubbers? They are much the same price wise

No point powerflexing anything on a road car other than the dogbone mount.

I have powerflex bushes on the inner and outer of the arb and the only difference is about 2 hours.

Yep fitting them is bloody hard as there is no give whatsoever and no benefit to the car either tbf

Clio 182 FF
No point powerflexing anything on a road car other than the dogbone mount.

I have powerflex bushes on the inner and outer of the arb and the only difference is about 2 hours.

Yep fitting them is bloody hard as there is no give whatsoever and no benefit to the car either tbf

I disagree with the difference on the front arb I replaced them with poweflex black series inner and outer, I find when cornering hard the inside front wheel gets pushed down more resulting in less of a chance to spin up the inside wheel.

I would recommend the front arb bushes!