ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering creak

clio 182
I have searched but not found an answer.

04 plate 182. 36.5k on the clock.

At very low speeds i'v noticed a creaking noise whilst turning. Definately feels/sounds like its coming from the steering column. Not a hugely loud noise but it is noticable. It may slightly creak under breaking also. Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Cheers.

Al

1.6 16v
I also have the same sort of creek from the steering column
would be interested to know what is causing it

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Mine started doing this at the weekend as well - Related to Hot Weather maybe... My 1st thought is that the Rubber Bush where the column goes through the bulkhead has dried out... going to have a look at the weekend.

If its not that I did wonder if its a ball joint / Track rod as had the same sort of noise from my old car and ended up replacing the ball joint to cure it.

clio 182
Noise is getting worse. Creaking alot now. Sounds like a creaking door. Low speeds only..

My dads mechanic looked and cant see anything. Im thinking of going the local Renault stealer now.. Are they expensive??

Revels Mum & Sister
I had this. Exactly as described. Replaced both ball joints and noise is gone. Ball joints were £12 each.

182 ff with cup pack's
mine does exactly the same thing. will get my ball joints changed then and see if this solves the problem.

Ph2 172
mine is doing the same as this but im also getting a clicking noise as well wen car is stationary :s very weird!!! anyone please help!!

Monaco 53/468
I've also got the creak noise since the warm weather, strange!

Seems people are agreeing it's balljoints so will try this first.

Mk5 golf gti
sounds like ball joints

but you also get creaking from the suspension once the shocks are on the way out i have found

2004 AB 182
I also have this creaking noise!! How much does it cost roughly to get the ball joints replaced including labour costs. Also, where can I get the new ball joints from!!

Sounds as though its a regular thing with Clio's!!

1.5dci
i did have this problem it was awful, haven't noticed it since getting the ball joints replaced, but will turn the radio off in the morning and listen out to see if it's actually stopped!

PH1 172 Sport
Mines nothing like that. I have to have the radio off and be cornering really hard to hear any noise.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
mine creaks and clicks, i have just got use to it :dapprove:

will try the ball joints though

A red missile
I had exactly the same kind of noise, at MOT time I had a lower ball joint replaced - creaking gone, whole lot cost £119, that was at a local garage that does all our company cars.

Megane RS 250
Mine neither caister. I'm replacing springs and dampers at the end of the summer (eibach sportlines and new OEM dampers), so I'll fit new balljoints and new bushes too. It should fix the creaking and result in much better hnadling.

2004 AB 182
i did have this problem it was awful, haven't noticed it since getting the ball joints replaced, but will turn the radio off in the morning and listen out to see if it's actually stopped!

Where did you get the ball joints from and how much do they cost including labour??

Clio 172
Could be a wishbone bush. I replaced one on my girlfriends KA sport because it was creaking when she turned at low speed and now it makes no noise at all.

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
Something to note, last night I put full lock on to pull out of a space, upped the clutch and it felt like it was jammed, or caught on something. The wheel wouldn't turn either.

Had to come out of full lock, depress the clutch, bring the clutch to bite then put full lock on and it was fine! Never did it again after that, strange eh!

Looking for 182
My creaking is fixed. It failed its MOT the other day due to a lower front ball joint being completely dead. That was replaced and now it's all nice and quiet :)

Hurrah! The creaking was really beginning to annoy me.

2004 AB 182
ball joints are 9 pound something each from ecp dont think it would be that much at a garage £40 roughly?

I have tried having a look on ECP but can't find the part I'm looking for!! Can someone help me out a bit!! I'm quite new to Clio ownership so no nothing about what I need.

Thanks.

1.5dci
Mine seems to have stopped since getting the ball joints replaced too

I have tried having a look on ECP but can't find the part I'm looking for!! Can someone help me out a bit!! I'm quite new to Clio ownership so no nothing about what I need.

Thanks.

If they are the same ones are on the non-sports then there are the non branded ones for £11.11 : http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/R...a53dab54b90729ed0691056ce1bc934f39b8cd68&BALJ

or the Lemforder ones for £17.80 : http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/R...a53dab54b90729ed0691056ce1bc934f39b8cd68&BALJ

I bought the Lemforder ones but then found i needed the wishbones replaced too, which i bought, but they come with the ball joints attached, so check you don't need them aswell before buying the balljoint!

On other news, if your around Bath and want to buy two of the Lemforder ones then i have two in my shed!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
According to Renault my OSF bottom ball joint is worn and my NSF cv boot is missing! They quoted me 240 not including labour. Surely it isn't as expensive as that?

Italian 3.2 V6
Mine does this, only in hot/warm weather. At any speed. It's Although there is a rubber seal which expands in the heat causing the creak.

f**king annoying!!!!

PSJ.

Clio 172 ph2
As well as the above ball joints/bushes isn't there a common fault with power steering pipes (return pipe blocking)?

clio sport
Mine did this as well. Check that the steering wheel itself is not rubbing on anything. Not the hidden bits - the obvious bits.