ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steering Angle sensors.... Who's in the know?

172/A4 Tdi
Hi guys...

Replaced the engine on my 172 a short while ago. Change went pretty smoothly to be honest - Until we turned it on and saw the entire dash light up like the Blackpool christmas lights!!

Now, all seems to have resolved itself EXCEPT the ABS/TRACTION lights. Having thrown my mates Snap-On Modus machine on there, it reads there is a steering angle fault. My steering wheel is out of line by maybe 25degrees, so quite a bit. I wondered if I get the wheel straight will the sensor cancel itself? I had a similar problem with a Mercedes Sprinter and once the wheel was aligned it worked fine. Just thought I'd ask in case I can get round it without giving sh1t-fit my money to track it. I got Nationwide (Halfords) to do it, and the tracked it perfectly, but with the wheel still out of line haha. Fools! If I cancel the code, it only stays clear for about 2mins and then it's back, so I'm presuming it can pick up an angle sensor issue quickly?

Any ideas guys? Don't want to have to send it to bloody Renault!

Thanks in advance!

BMW M135i
Quite possibly that as it'll think somethings wrong when you are traveling straight and the wheel sensor is reading 25degrees. Then again possibly not, only one way to find out without clip to check its reading correctly.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Its a very simple job to do - Did one yesterday for a guy that was driving in a straight line but showing +355 degrees.

172/A4 Tdi
Hi guys, update. Still not sorted this, I'm lazy....

Have had ABS/ESP/SERV lights on for a while now and knew it was steering angle related. Have now used a Snap-on machine with live-data to work out the issue.

- With wheels and steering-wheel centred, the steering angle sensor reads -30.00
- Turn the wheel a full turn clockwise (so almost on right lock) and it reads 0.00 (so it's 360degrees of 'real' movement out)
- The wheel still retains it's normal 1.5 turns (ish) to reach lock right or left from the centre position (straight) so I presume the rack/column have been connected correctly.

Basically (if that word can be used..) I need to re-align the sensor so that it reads 0.00 rather than -30.00 !!

Any ideas? Is the pickup for the sensor on the wheel? So could I leave it straight, take off the wheel and spin it anticlockwise 360degrees and then it would read correctly?
Or can I get it recalibrated at a dealer using CLIP?

Also, it seems strange that a full turn of the wheel reads a '30' change rather than a 360deg change? Or does it not work like that? I guess 360 is pointless anyway as it can turn more than that before it reaches full-lock, and the ECU would need to be aware of the lock angle to determine the ESP/ABS response? (otherwise it would click back to '0.00' but you'd really be on lock!)

I hate electrics almost as much as I hate this Clio!!

All help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Kirky

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Becareful when you do it. I somehow managed to break the ribbon inside my sensor so had to get another.

172/A4 Tdi
see, I am genuinely impressed it can move an entire turn extra in one direction and not be completely broken! Anyone got access to CLIP in the south? Beer money on standby.

172/A4 Tdi
Well I'm in Aldershot, but that gives me access to the M3/M4 and all links there after.... Would rather sort out someone some cash money and drive further than book it in at Renault (literally about 200ft from my front door) and have them tell me it needs every part under the sun replacing...... :)

172/A4 Tdi
Still need to get this done. Renault want £52+vat. Any better offers or do I line their pockets with my hard earned money? :)