ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steam Machine or build PC?

ST1050, 320d
Morning gents,

I'm trying to come to a decision; I haven't bought a next-gen console yet and before I do I need to decide which route to go down. Currently, I'm thinking either buy a Steam Machine (probably a mid range one) or build a PC game setup to use with my tv and controller. Which do we think would be more cost effective? How much would I realistically need to spend in order to get PS4/XBOne standard of gaming? I am under the impression that I would be saving in the long run as games are cheaper, and I can also upgrade components as I go.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Kinda interested in a Steam Machine but are there 'apps' for Linux so I can easily use 4oD etc. and also USB playback? Not used Linux for years... not after 'it can be done' it's literally all about usability when it's in my living room.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
One of the lucky 300 unboxing his steam box:

Last edited by a moderator:
  UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
$1,469 Steam Machine from Digital Storm vows to "defy the cookie-cutter mold"
"This hybrid Steam Machines doesn't make any compromises for performance."

A direct exchange is around £900, but we all know it doesn't work that way and we normally get stung here in the UK.

£900 for a high spec ITX build isn't that bad really. If it costs £1469 then not so much. In that case it could be built a lot cheaper. But it is three times the cost of a next-gen console in the United States so perhaps it isn't great value after all.

Definitely one for the 'more money than sense' crowd.

Bumder With A Buffer
My "monster" (monster as in Stupidly big) watercooled PC I built recently cost a little over the price of a steam box.

I think my machine has better specs then the steam box too.

ST1050, 320d
Interesting. So how much would I need to spend roughly to get next-gen performance? I'm guessing quite a bit more than the cost of a PS4...

Buying a PC spec to match the PS4 will not cost you much at all, the specs of the consoles imo are not that hot.

If you spent £900 on your own PC (you can download steamOS if you really want to, or just use BigPicture mode on windows), and you have a PC easily more powerful than a Xbone/PS4, and compatible with SteamOS.

Nissan 350z
I wouldn't have thought so as Steam does not sell optical media so there's not really any point. My laptop doesn't have one either and I cant think of a situation in the past 6 months where I've needed it.

Just pickup a cheap USB optical drive if that is your only concern and plug in when needed.

Nissan 350z
The CyberPowerPC Steam machine caught my attention:
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/07/cyberpowerpc-reveals-its-500-steam-machine-2/

The $499 Model A will get you the CyberPowerPC Steam Gaming Chassis, AMD Radeon R9 270 2GB GDDR5 video card, AMD A6-6400K 3.90 GHz processor, 500GB SATA-III 7200 RPM HDD for storage, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz dual channel memory RAM, mITX motherboard with 802.11 WiFi and Bluetooth, a Steam Controller, and pre-installed SteamOS.

So that's what in GBP, £350 to £400? PS4/Xbone rivalling price right there.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Only reason in asking about optical drives is wondering if it could be a direct PlayStation replacement... but I rely on that for blu ray. Alienware one does look smart though.

Polo + Micra
the problem is even if it had a blu-ray drive, i highly doubt you'll get it to play blu-rays films as iirc sony put a stop to that when blu-rays were released.

Polo + Micra
Can't you watch blu ray films on Xbox One then!?

yes you can.

it's more to do with the fact that steamOS is based around Debian and sony doesn't want blu-ray playing software on open source platforms.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Oh fair enough, although you can just install Windows on to Steam Boxes which should be alright? Some of them are going to come with both OS's already pre-built in I think.