ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Starting Problems With Car

is dirty.
I've been having some problems lately starting my car.

Sometimes it starts straight away but I've noticed if I've left the heating on I try starting it, then there's a click and the battery symbol disappears. The red light (immobiliser?) stays on.

Then if I move the car forward and back it will start.

Is getting quite annoying, can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks in advance for any help, Rick!

Clio sport 182
posss the starter motor playing up does it just click when it doesnt start ? lights dim ?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
clicking noise will be a solernoid trying to kick the starter in. or possibly a relay activating somewhere.

does it do this when you havent had the heating on?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What car is it please? The red LED staying lit is saying there's a fault with one of the main systems in the car. Could be wiring, could be a box of tricks but it deffinately won't be the starter motor. Sounds like a UCH fault or wiring to it to me.

Check your battery condition and terminals first then make sure all the earths are good. After that its really gonna need a proper look.

Mick

is dirty.
It's a 2004 Clio 1.4 16v.

It doesn't seem to do it when the heating is off as I start the car.

When I move the car back and forth I can then start it again. (Not bump starting).

Just kind of need to know what/where to be looking!

Thanks for your help, Rick!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Is it normal heating controls or regulated (digital display or twisty dials)?

Mick

is dirty.
No, I usually put it in neutral and push it forward and back then jump back in stick it in gear and try to bump it. I don't usually have enough room, I fail bumping it but then it will just start without any clicking!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Okay, firstly check all the engine bay earth's... Secondly, check the solenoid control wire on the back of the starter as these are a historical weak point on Renault.

Mick

is dirty.
I'm not too clued up on where to look etc, wouldn't even know where the starter motor is!

Will try and ask a friend to have a look...if not will have to book it into the garage arghh :(