ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Standard clutch for rallying

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
At the moment I am using a helix 4 plate paddle clutch on my rally car, I need a new drive plate and pressure plate which is going to cost £460. £460 I would rather not spend; as I've spent enough already this year. I have a brand new Renault clutch sat here that I bought for my road car that I no longer have, would this be up to the job?

The spec of my car is, standard F4R 736 on ITB's mated to a Sadev sequential box so I'm not running more than 200hp but obviously the LSD and sticky tyres put more strain on the clutch. But the clutch is only really used for take offs and changing down gears so get a lot less use. What would people recommend? Really trying to reduce the cost of doing this sport, its all nice to have these fancy parts but what the point if they don't gain me anything?

Cheers,

Mike

330i. E30 Touring.
No harm in giving it a go, I'd say. For the sake of a few hours to swap it out should it s**t itself.

I find the standard clutches bloody hard wearing anyway.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
That what I'm trying to avoid though really, I've had the engine in out of this thing so many times I've lost count. I need to take the engine out to do the cam belt and fit rod bolts (this motor was fitted mid rally). So really the clutch I put in needs to last a good year or two; I only do 1 rally a year a few hill climbs so the car doesn't get that much use. Just want to start enjoying the car rather than throwing money at it and spending all my time in the garage.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
From new, how frequently have you had to resurface it and redress the pressure plate Mike?

Think I remember reading you went for the helix setup that they list for the cup car right?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Well ive not had to do it yet as I fitted the new billet flywheel with this clutch, but after 6-7 stages of me resting my foot on the clutch pedal and it slipping a few times the flywheel could do with a resurface by the looks of it. Still need to check it for flatness, if its still flat i might see if it will clean up with emery cloth.

Yeah i use the Cup spec clutch kit from helix, Im happy the the standard clutch will handle the power. But what im worried about is will it stand upto the abuse, will it delaminate? Im not expecting it to last 80k but to not have to touch it for a year or so would be nice.

ph1-172
Does the 4 paddle plate have springs in it? A friend of mine had the wrong clutch plate on his c2 running itbs and dog box. Apparently it was the springs that failed and jammed the clutch 1 stage into a rally.

So I'd say if the 4 paddle has the little springs and so does the standard you should be fine.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Yeah its a sprung drive plate, dont think id ever fit a solid drive plate; would be way to snatchy.

Lionel Richie
We ran an Alcon on ours, was cheaper than the helix unit, i think a stock clutch wouldn't do too well with your setup LOL

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Where can you get an Alcon one from Fred? Do they have a alloy cover?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
What was the issue with the early Alcon units Fred? Remember you saying they had some problems when they initially ran them in the UK series.

Do Quartermaster still do their paddle clutch for the clio?