ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Squealing after aux belt replaced

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Hiya peeps, little concerned as there was no noises at all before. When she's stationary, there's an awful squealing noise. Defoe from the belt, it's like the wheel is scraping it? I know that's not possible but that's how it seems. All I had replaced was the aux belt.

Didn't recall hearing it whilst driving.

I'll be ringing the mechanic today, little worried.

Anyone else had this?

Clio 172
Where did you get the belt done? Sounds like someone who isn't familiar with this engine. Make sure to get it sorted with a new belt ASAP as it can make a right mess of the engine if it snaps.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
My Renault mechanic did it, he's usually spot on so I hope it's something minor. Won't be seeing him till Tuesday though, don't have to go far in her till then.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Did he put it on the right way? If it's the wrong way it will catch on the plastic housing next to the engine and cause a horrific squeely noise. Easy mistake to make.

My water pump was fine until the aux belt was replaced;)

Just get it seen to as we can sit here all day guessing;)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Cheers for your thoughts guys. Will take her up to him on Tuesday. Is it risky using her?

Iceberg 172
My friends PAS pump went the day after his cambelt and aux belt were done. Had to be replaced. It's more of a whine than a squeal or squeak with the PAS pump.

You can see if the belt is on correctly too, have a look to the right of the belt, is it sitting fully on the tensioner?

Iceberg 172
Tensioner will be rubbing on the belt having not been set correctly is my guess.
Hope it gets sorted.

The belt can't be set apart from its set ribs on the pulleys surely? Unless I've done it wrong before!

Did he put it on the right way? If it's the wrong way it will catch on the plastic housing next to the engine and cause a horrific squeely noise. Easy mistake to make.

Put the belt on the right way? or the tensioner? Surely there is only one way to put it on...:/

I'd say take a look at the belt now in the car park or whatever, make sure it's on correctly. Check for scoring on the top of the belt, and on the sides of the belt. If its rubbing on something you should be able to see something.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
First problem is that just the belt was replaced, naughty naughty in the Renault world. Kit is like £65 from the dealers.

Many.
Was the tensioner replaced too? I'm guessing so if anybody decent did it.

Often old tensioners seize slightly, causing the belt to be a little loose.

Volvo S60 T5
Aux kit for a V6 is around £200 worth doing if required , or you can take the tensoiner off free it up and put a new tensioner spring on it. Tensioner spring from a 182 kit or buy a new tensioner from euro car parts if money is an issue.
Thing is if you own a V6 money shouldn't be an issue (;

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Was the tensioner replaced too? I'm guessing so if anybody decent did it.

Often old tensioners seize slightly, causing the belt to be a little loose.

I've no idea, was hopeing the lot would be done as I just supplied the belt. It's a Reno mechanic so id have thought so.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
And if money was an issue I'd have got the bits done at my local corner shop garage!

Iceberg 172
I've no idea, was hopeing the lot would be done as I just supplied the belt. It's a Reno mechanic so id have thought so.

I'm not sure he'd of replaced the idler and tensioner if you just supplied the belt? A bit silly maybe but I'd ring them tomorrow and check, if not, get some new ones put on! :)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
This is the reason I got the Renault guy to do it though tbh, I wanted someone who knows their stuff & he's been great before etc.

Mines squealed on start up the last 2 days, I recently fitted a new belt etc 2 weeks ago. I'm going to check the tension of the belt in the morning and see if it's come loose at all.