ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spraying a new body panel

Clio Expression 5dr
Getting myself very confused over what I'm doing wrong!

Right, a deer ran out infront of my dads car on the way to work and cracked all his front bumper. Luckily only the bumper was damaged and we bought a new bumper from a motor shop. It says on the bumper, ready to paint, which I thought meant it was pre primered. When I have started to apply the spray paint, the cars actual colour, it just runs completely off the bumper and there's drip marks everywhere!

Sorry if this is me being very thick! Does this mean the bumper isnt pre primered and by ready to paint, it means I need to primer aswell? Or am I missing out a stage between primer and spraying?

Any help appreciated as I want to crack on and try to get it done while I'm off over Christmas!

Thanks
Liam

Clio Expression 5dr
Ah that's probably the problem then haha! If the panel is plastic, would I need plastic primer? Also, would 1 coat be enough or is it safer with 2?

Sorry for such novice questions!

Surely you can tell if it's got primer on it or not...? If it has got primer on it, then you are putting it on way too thick. If it's not got primer on it, you'll need to rub it back and start again.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You need to scotch the whole panel, then wipe it all down with panel wipe or a tack cloth. Then two coats of primer, two of colour, two of lacquer. Letting it dry in between coats. Ideally do it in a garage with heating so it dries good.

Leave it to dry for a few days, wet sand and polish it up to get rid of any imperfections and bobs your uncle.

Personally, I'd just give it to a paint shop and pay £100 to get it painted and just fit it yourself. Never worth the grief what you're trying to do. Especially if you haven't even thought about primer! Lol!

Clio Expression 5dr
Surely you can tell if it's got primer on it or not...? If it has got primer on it, then you are putting it on way too thick. If it's not got primer on it, you'll need to rub it back and start again.

Yeah, I'm now pretty sure it's not been primered and Ive just been an idiot. I only done a very small patch before realising something was wrong and removed the paint with a dab of white spirit so it's back to how I bought it. Can anyone help me with what primer I need? Plastic primer or just standard?

172 Cup
You cant paint this yourself without the proper paint, guns, lacquer etc.
If your using rattle cans then dont bother.

Clio Expression 5dr
You need to scotch the whole panel, then wipe it all down with panel wipe or a tack cloth. Then two coats of primer, two of colour, two of lacquer. Letting it dry in between coats. Ideally do it in a garage with heating so it dries good.

Leave it to dry for a few days, wet sand and polish it up to get rid of any imperfections and bobs your uncle.

Personally, I'd just give it to a paint shop and pay £100 to get it painted and just fit it yourself. Never worth the grief what you're trying to do. Especially if you haven't even thought about primer! Lol!

Thankyou for your advice, much appreciated.

I would much prefer to take it to a body shop but it's for my dad and at the minute he's not in a position to be able to afford it I don't think :/

I'll give it a go, if it goes pear shaped, then at a later date, he'll have to pay a professional to do it

172 Cup
You cant paint this yourself without the proper paint, guns, lacquer etc.
If your using rattle cans then dont bother.
If you trying to paint in this temperature its never going to work. Needs to be approx 20 degrees.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It will probably cost you £60 in materials from halfords etc.

Just fit the bumper and get it painted at a later date?

Clio Expression 5dr
It will probably cost you £60 in materials from halfords etc.

Just fit the bumper and get it painted at a later date?

I've got the paint now, so I will give it a go, going to look terrible a non painted bumper on his car, even if the paint job doesn't go too well, atleast the colour should match haha.

You can paint it with rattle cans - as long as you take your time. The only issue you'll come across really is that the colour match is very much down to whoevers mixed it; if it's matey in Halfrauds who doesn't care too much then you'll probably end up with a bad match. Even if you get it painted by a bodyshop, (dependent on colour) it'll be difficult for them to match it without blending it into adjacent panels.

The finish you will achieve will largely be dependent on how well you've prepped it, and what conditions you have sprayed it in. Ideally you should be somewhere without wind and around 20 degrees C or you risk seeds and lots of nice orange peel.

Method I use when painting with a rattle can:

Prep your surface accordingly as has been stated above with appropriate panel wipe/ degreaser/ whatever.

3 coats of primer - 1st coat very light, 2nd and 3rd coats building up till you have 100% coverage. Wet sand with 800.

3 coats of colour - again 1st coat very light and then building up till you have 100% coverage. Leave the panel 48 hours.

2 coats of lacquer. Leave the panel 2 weeks to cure, then wet sand with 2000 first followed by 2500.

Machine polish it all, start with a heavy cut to remove sanding marks through to a finishing compound/ pad. Seal and wax, job done.

Below is a photo of my car after rattle can paint job on the passenger wing. Finish is just as good as the rest of the car. Only issue is the colour match is slightly out in certain lights.

1488882_566836720073930_122822862_n.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio Expression 5dr
You can paint it with rattle cans - as long as you take your time. The only issue you'll come across really is that the colour match is very much down to whoevers mixed it; if it's matey in Halfrauds who doesn't care too much then you'll probably end up with a bad match. Even if you get it painted by a bodyshop, (dependent on colour) it'll be difficult for them to match it without blending it into adjacent panels.

The finish you will achieve will largely be dependent on how well you've prepped it, and what conditions you have sprayed it in. Ideally you should be somewhere without wind and around 20 degrees C or you risk seeds and lots of nice orange peel.

Method I use when painting with a rattle can:

Prep your surface accordingly as has been stated above with appropriate panel wipe/ degreaser/ whatever.

3 coats of primer - 1st coat very light, 2nd and 3rd coats building up till you have 100% coverage. Wet sand with 800.

3 coats of colour - again 1st coat very light and then building up till you have 100% coverage. Leave the panel 48 hours.

2 coats of lacquer. Leave the panel 2 weeks to cure, then wet sand with 2000 first followed by 2500.

Machine polish it all, start with a heavy cut to remove sanding marks through to a finishing compound/ pad. Seal and wax, job done.

Below is a photo of my car after rattle can paint job on the passenger wing. Finish is just as good as the rest of the car. Only issue is the colour match is slightly out in certain lights.

1488882_566836720073930_122822862_n.jpg

Very helpful, thanks a lot :)