ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spray Job - Where do I stand?

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all.
Just after a quick bit of advice on where I stand and what's the best approach for this situation.

After my girlfriend recently crashed my cup I needed some bodywork on the car.

Bought replacement parts and had them sent to the body-shop, they gave me a great quote but was cash in hand.

Went to pick up the car today and the car was outside on the yard, had been in the rain and had water beading on so was a little hard to inspect closely, looked great though.

I drove the car home and on arrival the water had dried off. On close inspection I have notice a lot of small light scratches over the bumper and a bit of overspray on the bonnet. Then noticed they have opened the doors on to a wall and damaged the edge of the bump-strip.

Now my worries are that there were marks on doors and bump-strips anyway (just nowhere near as severely) so he may deny that he caused these and while the overspray is quite obviously his mistake he may say the scratches were since I left.

How would people approach this and where do I stand. Should it have been presented better (ie in the dry) or should I have refused to take it till I'd seen it better??

Thanks and apologies for such a long post

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Why did you do it cash in hand?! I'm assuming it was because you knew him? If you knew him, tell him your thoughts! If he's any sort of decent human being he'll sort it.

If on the other hand he's just some random who's quoted you a cheap price, then he'll probably tell you that you get what you pay for.

Which you do.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Daniel, don't personally know him but he came highly recommended by a well trusted friend and his work when i went for the quote spoke for itself (mainly on exotic cars) I have a feeling it's been a case of it was rushed a little as it's 'only a Clio'.

Nice as pie to deal with so will go and see him tomorrow, tell him I'm not happy and I expected better.

Just unsure what to say about the doors too as don't want to rock the boat too much, may be better off just getting him to sort the work he's done.

Thanks for your reply.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
First things first is to speak to him. For all you know he may have got the saturday boy to do it and not been aware of any defects!

At least give him the chance.

Then, if he won't help you out, post a dead dog to him.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
That's a fair point again the 'only a clio give it to the new boy' situation.
Will speak to him tomorrow and if I don't have any luck I'll certainly look into the dead dog idea.
Cheers again

Evo 8 MR
Definitely go and speak to them but don't go in all guns blazing because that puts you in the arsehole customer category straight away.

If you are nice to them you can expect them to do the same.

Clio RS200 FF
I wouldn't be overly worried about the overspray. Clay (something like Bilt Hamber regular) should remove it or of you have access to a Dual Action (DA) polisher the Meguiars microfibre system cut pad and polish will remove it with ease along with the swirls and very light scratches.

The chips in the edge of the door may be slightly harder to sort.