ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sport exhaust on non sport?

A grey one
This may sound so stupid, but would a completely standard 172 exhaust fit on a 1.2 ?
i have no idea if there's any difference in shape or the cat and I don't know what either of them look like..
I've just found a hell of alot more second hand 172 exhausts for sale than standard 1.2 exhausts and wondered if it would fit,
someone help please, thankyou :)

This may sound so stupid, but would a completely standard 172 exhaust fit on a 1.2 ?
i have no idea if there's any difference in shape or the cat and I don't know what either of them look like..
I've just found a hell of alot more second hand 172 exhausts for sale than standard 1.2 exhausts and wondered if it would fit,
someone help please, thankyou :)

if you want it to fit it can be made to fit....

is is just the back box, the mid-section or the entire exhaust (including Cat)?

I ask because I am not sure on the Cat as it is different afaik... but the centre section and back box might fit (or if not should be easy to sleeve on)

best bet is nearest scrappers :)

Clio 182
I made a aftermarket 172 exhaust fit my 1.2 took abit of choping and changing but fit eventually
I chopped the flange joining the the cat to centre pipe of the old 1.2 exhaust sleeved and welded it onto the 172 exhaust (obviously chopped the flange of the 172 exhaust aswell)
hope that made sense and hope it helps

A grey one
Oh right, well it sounds like a bit of a faff and I'd probably end up spending more money getting it to fit than just buying a normal one, I'm just gonna have to look harder! Thanks Alot though guys, was worth a try :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
The bore of the pipe would be to big for the relatively low exhaust gas output of the 1.2 A 172 exhaust is designed to have much more gas expelled into it and with a 1.2 you'd produce the wrong back pressure, exhaust gasses would have cooled completely before they get to the end of the pipe, reducing performance.

Google exhaust design and you should see

I'd get an engine specific :)

Oh right, well it sounds like a bit of a faff and I'd probably end up spending more money getting it to fit than just buying a normal one, I'm just gonna have to look harder! Thanks Alot though guys, was worth a try :)

better off searching scrappers or getting an aftermarket exhaust tbh...

is it just the backbox or the midsection, or the entire thing though?

A grey one
entire thing, well if anything its cat - midbox. my back box is fine, my midsection is blowing and my cat has eaten itself, its just all fallen apart inside apparently from last MOT... just never got a new one lolll

entire thing, well if anything its cat - midbox. my back box is fine, my midsection is blowing and my cat has eaten itself, its just all fallen apart inside apparently from last MOT... just never got a new one lolll

ah, standard cat is cheap from motorhog, and you get £30 quid back for taking you old one back to them for exchange iirc (its where I got my cat from) and if it is mid-section either get one from scrappers or get a stainless steel cat-back like I have :cool:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Iirc there's a difference between the d4f (1.2) and k4j/k4m(1.4/1.6) engines. The k4* engines are basically the same thing with different internals afaik, you you could get away with one exhaust for both. The 1.2 needs its own exhaust.

op, why don't you go to a custom exhaust place, they're usually fairly cheap. One of my mates got a full system for his old polo saloon for ~£150

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
.... One of my mates got a full system for his old polo saloon for ~£150

Yes and it was dyno-developed and approved especially for his engine.....good joke...

For me, there won´t change anything, if he puts the 172 system under his 1.2. No loss of power and no difference in Sound....

A grey one
I see, so if I had a 1.4 I'd of been alright, bloody 1.2!
and I've been to a few custom exhaust places, one was £400 and cheapest was £280 :(

Clio 182
The bore of the pipe would be to big for the relatively low exhaust gas output of the 1.2 A 172 exhaust is designed to have much more gas expelled into it and with a 1.2 you'd produce the wrong back pressure, exhaust gasses would have cooled completely before they get to the end of the pipe, reducing performance.

Google exhaust design and you should see

I'd get an engine specific :)

I actually found that it increased performance and higher engine speeds (didn't feel much of a difference at low speeds)
this could just have been me thinking it was making a difference but it wasn't tho :p
i thought it had more pull at hi revs

A grey one
I'm gonna have a look and see how much arsing about is involved:)
not bothered about performance though cause anywhere above 70 hardly ever gets reached, if I hit a pothole or a cats eye my spine gets absolutely obliterated !

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
You would feel a benefit from it at top end (if pipe is not way over sized) as the gas flow is more. Exhausts are generally a little restrictive at top end as the majority of driving is done lower down. Remember it's a clio, not a ferrari, most owners will drive conservatively. Sport models the exhaust is designed to take the full exhaust gas pressure at top revs, hense bigger bore etc.

Too big = loss of power

Slightly bigger to allow full power is perfect

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Then I only wonder why sport back boxes for the 1.2 to 1.6 (including Diesels) are mostly the same if it´s sooooo specific...

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2385&appid=4

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2861&appid=4

I would get an adapter or directly weld the right connection pipe to the catalyst and install the 172 system.

This is only a back box, I am talking about a full system. Exhaust design isn't bigger is better always, it's science, hence the development stages of the RS192 cat back yielded very different results

ClioI Ph.3 1.6 16V
This are both cat-back systems! Including mid-scection and rear muffler. Read it carefully!

And believe me, in this EuroIV engines the catalyst (in average there are 500 cellers used) is generating at least half of the complete back pressure. The other thing ist, the back pressure depends on the exhaust flow and is no constant value. So if you have an effect, it has an impact only in areas with high exhaust gas flow.